Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sealed case-mouths...necessary...or dogma?

IIRC on military ammo the bullet is sealed with "asphaltum varnish". The inside of the case neck is coated with the varnish and allowed to partially dry before the bullet is seated. I found it available here: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Asp...Varnish/118003.

This method is much faster for hand loads and works better than trying to seal the case mouth after the bullet is seated. IME unsealed ammo can "breath" with changes in barometric pressure and/or altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Will primer sealer or nail polish work on both?
    Again one can buy primer sealer on the internet . like George & Roys or use nail polish. The Black Lucas seals the bullet at the case mouth! I Don't know where to buy it?

Putting primmer sealant on the primer isn't going to hurt anything. BTW I wouldn't pull a bullet just to add Black Lucas.

Some of my main loads I use for SD in my LMT Defender 2000 Carbine aren't sealed at both ends. Black Hills 5.56mm TSX 50gr., Black Hills Blue box 75gr/77gr .
    The only one load that I have that is sealed at both ends is the lot of MK262 I have. Unless I count M193/M855/SS109 and I don't. That's range only ammo.

I use Remington GSB9MMD in my P30S and its is sealed at both ends. Unlike certain lots of Win Ranger and Federal HST.

Back in the 90`s I shot up all my grandfathers 12GA ammo . back then Hull was made of PAPER not plastic.
    I shot it all up using the passed down to me Ithaca M37 . Ammo was stored in a sock drawer.

If you store it dry it should out last you.

BTW I also don't mind if my 5.56/223rem ammo bullet lacks a cannalure.
    At the range I would check for set back often. Fired 2 cases of Black Hills Blue box 77grw/cnl.
    Last edited by Rich; 12-25-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DBR View Post
    IIRC on military ammo the bullet is sealed with "asphaltum varnish". The inside of the case neck is coated with the varnish and allowed to partially dry before the bullet is seated. I found it available here: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Asp...Varnish/118003.

This method is much faster for hand loads and works better than trying to seal the case mouth after the bullet is seated. IME unsealed ammo can "breath" with changes in barometric pressure and/or altitude.

For reloading one could use Black Lucas to seal the bullet. That's what Winchester is using for there ranger line.

Or the asphaltum varnish as you say.

Buy factory loaded ammo and pulling the bullet to add the sealant doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Remington Golden Saber is sealed at both ends too.

Kindof frustrating, the only ammo (5.56) I have found that is sealed at both ends is MK318,M855, M193, X135 (hard to get somtimes), XM556FBIT3 and RA556B.

XM556FBIT3 and RA556B are softpoints, and Dr Roberts and Sean M have both said that they have caused issues, IIRC, with feeding.

That leaves me with X135 and MK318 can be...a bit penetrative...for lack of a better word, although over-penetration isn't my biggest fear, really.

I'll toss this out there just for consideration........obviously each person has their own perspective of what they need.

You are probably over-thinking this issue.

My SHTF ammo is a grab bag of green tip and 75-77 grain OTM. No shit, it's just a gunfight. The type of ammo being used is not the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I'll toss this out there just for consideration........obviously each person has their own perspective of what they need.

My SHTF ammo is a grab bag of green tip and 75-77 grain OTM. No shit, it's just a gunfight. The type of ammo being used is not the deciding factor.
    I hear rumor you've been in a few...

No arguments from me. My angle is more hunting than gunfight though, and why stock up on more than 1 round/deal with multiple zero's. I'd like a "do all".

Fair enough...........

I just don't see it as THAT big of an issue in most circumstances. Given mil ammo is often used, shipped, and stored at extremes, it makes sense. For practical purposes in most scenarios I can envision, it isn't a deal breaker.

Fair enough...........

I just don't see it as THAT big of an issue in most circumstances. Given mil ammo is often used, shipped, and stored at extremes, it makes sense. For practical purposes in most scenarios I can envision, it isn't a deal breaker.
    Understood. I have heard of several people taking deer very effectively with MK318 MOD 0 SOST, and the gel shots I have seen of it indicate that it should do decent on a deer. It has proven accurate for me, and I am tempted to try it. This is what it did to a piece of pork I shot:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFVtZsSCSdI
    Every test I have seen shows nasty amounts of frags from 2-12 inches depth, and the copper wad-cutter of a base keeps on going.

At my retirement party a few days ago I had occasion to compare notes with some dudes that have been around awhile, are very experienced shooters, and have seen some serious work OCONUS over the past few years. Each of them has seen zero issues with using standard issued ammo, and had no idea what the fuss was by so many people.

One, who might pipe in here, told me he has seen at least 20 bad guys shot with 9mm ball, and noted that "none of them were unimpressed with the cartridge".

Pat Rogers advised in his observation that the old NYPD .38 duty load, a standard LSWC, worked pretty good on bad guys, "if you could shoot".

I increasingly note that the most experienced guys worry the least about the type of ammo they have, as long at it's reliable and accurate.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 01-01-2015 at 11:36 AM.

User Tag List