Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VP9 railsystem rated to hold 5oz?

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    The HK website states the following: "Extended Picatinny rail rated to handle lights, lasers, aimers, and other accessory loads up to 5.6 ounces with no impact on performance."

I think your "OCD-9" will be just fine.
    That's good to know . 5.6 oz

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    I once mounted a rail mounted grenade launcher to an M9A1. So yeah, there's that concern. (I didn't fire it though).

On a serious note, I've never heard of a "rated load" for a pistol rail.
    Sounds stupid for a manufacturer to open that can of worms.
    Same here! Ive been shooting since the 70`s and really got into it when I got my permit in 1983.

A can of worms? Yes HK must of ran into some issues with the VP9.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Attachment 2888
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post

On a serious note, I've never heard of a "rated load" for a pistol rail. Sounds stupid for a manufacturer to open that can of worms. I worked in testing for a larger handgun manufacturer and we did some absurd tests to rate, characterize, and test minutia. Not once did I ever do or hear about the weight rating on a pistol rail.
    1) The Germans are known for being thorough and meticulous.
    2) HK probably did testing to see what it took to damage the gun and/or affect performance.
    3) This could be due in part to the issues Glock had with the Gen 3 40 caliber guns. The pistol lights pulling down on the dust cover allowed the slide to cycle faster and the magazine couldn't keep up.

The good news is that lights and lasers are trending smaller and lighter. And if this monster is good at 5.4oz, then just about any pistol light should be good to go.
    http://www.steiner-optics.com/laser-devices/dbal-pl

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Your a real funny guy
    Last edited by Rich; 12-21-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Just don't hang anything stupid off it and you're good. LOL.

Even though I can . I don't like taking it to the ride line. You can and I'm fine with it.

I thought it was a legitimate question ? Plus I wanted to further educate myself . I had no idea about pistol rail ratings . I have been EDC a pistol with light for a few months and been thinking of a green laser light. Because of HK I now know not to mount a light/laser that's over 5oz on a VP9. Yes JodyH 5oz = 5oz where I come from. And again I don't like approaching the red line.

So yeah !
    I really would of liked to known what issues HK ran across using laser/lights that weigh over a X400 / 5oz
    And what lights/laser caused the issues. And most of all does the P30 rail share the same rating?
    Relax, it's got margin designed in beyond whatever rating they published as a spec. Nothing is going to happen to your VP9.

Same here! Ive been shooting since the 70`s and really got into it when I got my permit in 1983.

I think you should get a Glock, they don't have a stupid rating like that and work fantastic with lights on them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

This is getting interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I think you should get a Glock, they don't have a stupid rating like that and work fantastic with lights on them.
    LOL

You need to email me DB, I have some funny stuff to share with you.

I doubt it.
    #RESIST

User Tag List