Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Armorer Course?

I tried hosting an armorers class at my PD about 7 years ago, We did not get a single officer or dept response. The best Beretta smiths I can think of would be Ernest Langdon, Wilson combat or Josh at Allegany armory in Pa, he does a lot of Beretta 92 series work.

We are diminished
    FWIW, at least back when the Beretta Academy reported to me, the armorer course was LE/mil only and it took five days; and it did not cover the G-series slides. You could probably reduce it two two long serious days of work if you only covered the 90-series pistols, it still takes:

• A beater gun per student; smart people don't practice armorer chores on their own guns.
    • A number of tools per student.
    • Enough students in one geographical location interested in the class.

IMHO, this is another thing that has come from the Glock world: the idea that you need to know how to detail strip the gun and replace every part in order to keep the gun running the way you want. There are a handful of things you should definitely know how to do with the Beretta beyond basic field stripping (changing the trigger return spring being by far the most useful). But otherwise I doubt the benefit is worth the effort.

If one wanted to do it purely out of love for the gun, I totally get that. But again, that leaves you back to the difficulty of getting enough of those people in one area willing to pay for a class and an instructor who had enough demand that he could afford to buy 20 guns, 20 sets of tools, etc.

I'd imagine if anyone could do it, Ernest could. He'd probably find a dozen or two cheap beater trade-in LE guns and (if he was smart) tell students what tools they needed to bring on their own dime. As long as the class was somewhere in the DC area I'm sure he'd be willing to do the teaching. It's all about whether the numbers make it reasonable for him to dedicate the time.

I can also tell you from personal (though very limited) experience that teaching an armorer class can be a major pain in the butt because not everyone has as much mechanical aptitude as, say, your typical pile of fly feces. Teaching someone with two left thumbs how to install a Beretta sear spring is enough to make many instructors consider ritual suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    and it did not cover the G-series slides.
    Effin G slides. I broke two punches and bent a third one removing and installing G levers. Never again.

IMHO, this is another thing that has come from the Glock world: the idea that you need to know how to detail strip the gun and replace every part in order to keep the gun running the way you want. There are a handful of things you should definitely know how to do with the Beretta beyond basic field stripping (changing the trigger return spring being by far the most useful). But otherwise I doubt the benefit is worth the effort.
    Detail striping the 92 was necessary for me to keep the gun running the way I want. I don't like paying people (a gunsmith) to do something that I could learn to do myself, i.e., replace any part on the gun.

I install my own sights, replace broken locking blocks, replace dockers with low-profile ones, etc. The only thing I'd use a competent gunsmith for is machine work because I don't have the machines.

If one wanted to do it purely out of love for the gun, I totally get that.
    That's why I would do it. I just enjoy Berettas and hopefully I could pickup some nuance about the platform to help me improve its function and maybe my performance with it (or at least make me think it will ).

The biggest challenge for an armorer's course for me is the time in which it's conducted. Weekends are almost impossible (at least saturday/sabbath is since it's a religious/spiritual observance). However, make it during the week with enough time for planing and I'll start saving and looking for the best airfare.

God Bless,
    David

I'd imagine if anyone could do it, Ernest could.
    So I would be interested in the discussion on doing an class. As Todd says, it would take everyone having a beater gun that they did not mind taking apart several times and making mistakes on, not to mention the tools. I have no issues in teaching the G safety as i have gotten pretty good at taking that safety system apart and putting it back. If I remember correctly, the Beretta factory class included a 90 series Armorers tool kit. I have done that class twice as a student, once when i worked there and once when I was on the team years later.

I could have the conversation with Beretta about using their guns for the class. Maybe even hosting it at the Accokeek factory??? Don't get your hopes up!

Ernest
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Teaching someone with two left thumbs how to install a Beretta sear spring is enough to make many instructors consider ritual suicide.
    I feel your pain. During one recruit class, my predecessor at the FTU went full retard and insisted that we teach EVERY cadet how to detail strip and reassemble- properly- their issue S&W revolver. I BEGGED him to re-consider; nope.

While I never considered seppuku during that ordeal, I damn sure wanted to open HIS guts up a few times… talk about the proverbial monkey and the football…

I recall the Beretta class I attended was five days. They covered the 92 series standard guns, spent half a day on the shotgun they were selling at the time (I don't even recall which model it's been so long), and there was an after class bit where the instructor helped a student with his 21 while we looked over his shoulder.

There are a LOT of wee little bits in a Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    So I would be interested in the discussion on doing an class. As Todd says, it would take everyone having a beater gun that they did not mind taking apart several times and making mistakes on, not to mention the tools. I have no issues in teaching the G safety as i have gotten pretty good at taking that safety system apart and putting it back. If I remember correctly, the Beretta factory class included a 90 series Armorers tool kit. I have done that class twice as a student, once when i worked there and once when I was on the team years later.

I could have the conversation with Beretta about using their guns for the class. Maybe even hosting it at the Accokeek factory??? Don't get your hopes up!

Ernest
    I would be very interested in this. Sourcing a beater gun might be difficult if Beretta wouldn't have any loaners, but perhaps we'll get lucky and there will be another large police trade-in sale soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I would be very interested in this. Sourcing a beater gun might be difficult if Beretta wouldn't have any loaners, but perhaps we'll get lucky and there will be another large police trade-in sale soon.
    I'd be interested in a class too. As for police trade-in beater guns, there are still these 92S pistols floating around...still, if Beretta could provide...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post

Ernest
    Too late!

If this comes to fruition, please don't schedule the class on the weekend. Thanks for the consideration.

God Bless,
    David

User Tag List