Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restraiint as taught in police training

Site Supporter

Restraiint as taught in police training

Sitting here grading 30 or so papers regarding visual perceptual effects, I periodically wander into news sources.

I found this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ngle_page=true

I offer it for comment without opinion. I note if references some of the modern work on race and training for instance. Seems relevant to many discussions here.

Glenn

Spoken like a true administrator that's detached from reality. It's easier for him to go to a cop funeral, than it is to explain why that same cop could have used deadly force to stay alive.

He's far enough out of the loop that "Verbal Judo" is a foreign concept to him, or he gladly ignores the concept because it conflicts with his cop bashing.

He says that policing is "safer" than ever, thanks to the practices he thinks should be abandoned.

It's drivel that get his name out there, get him booked for a couple more spots at seminars and doesn't matter who he throws under the bus to make a few more dollars.
    <---Hates smart phones and kids on his lawn.

I would love to debate this idiot too. Bet he had a ton of time studying to be a scholar. Usually the guys who were scholars were getting that way instead if doing one iota of proactive police work.

If we would spend time on building confidence with force instead of fear and cultural sensitivity most issues can end before they start. I haves feeling we would get there via different means.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'd be curious to know a little more about the author's background as a police officer. I'm guessing he wasn't much of a go getter in terms of crime fighting.

That article is about what I expect from The Atlantic.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Site Supporter
    I followed a couple of the links in the article and found one on the Richmond (CA) Police Department interesting. The article focused on community policing and how the number of officer-involved shootings decreased under the current police chief. The article also mentioned how few of the shootings were fatal which seems to indicate vast misunderstanding of ballistics, anatomy, and luck rather than a reflection on RPD's shootings. The department also purchased more less-lethal weapons which is usually a good way to reduce OIS's.

But the biggest takeaway for me is this: Richmond PD trains monthly with firearms and quarterly on role-playing training on disarming residents. I'm going to guess that it some is type of force-on-force training. If we look to Richmond as a model for reducing use of force, we better start spending a metric bunch more money on training budgets. Perhaps the politicians could reduce some of their feel-good projects and allocate more to training.If "black lives matter" or "all lives matter", politicians should put their money where their mouths are.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    But the biggest takeaway for me is this: Richmond PD trains monthly with firearms and quarterly on role-playing training on disarming residents. I'm going to guess that it some is type of force-on-force training. If we look to Richmond as a model for reducing use of force, we better start spending a metric bunch more money on training budgets. Perhaps the politicians could reduce some of their feel-good projects and allocate more to training.If "black lives matter" or "all lives matter", politicians should put their money where their mouths are.
    I think this is an important point. More training leads to more confident officers who are better able to resolve situations. I would be absolutely thrilled to get monthly firearms training and quarterly force on force from my department.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Sitting here grading 30 or so papers regarding visual perceptual effects, I periodically wander into news sources.

I found this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...ngle_page=true

I offer it for comment without opinion. I note if references some of the modern work on race and training for instance. Seems relevant to many discussions here.

Glenn
    The dude holding the sign in the picture is retired Philadelphia Capt Ray Lewis. Interesting choice for that article. He's a...unique individual. https://www.facebook.com/captainraylewis
    Last edited by ST911; 12-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I followed a couple of the links in the article and found one on the Richmond (CA) Police Department interesting. The article focused on community policing and how the number of officer-involved shootings decreased under the current police chief. The article also mentioned how few of the shootings were fatal which seems to indicate vast misunderstanding of ballistics, anatomy, and luck rather than a reflection on RPD's shootings. The department also purchased more less-lethal weapons which is usually a good way to reduce OIS's.

Neato......I cut our officer involved shootings down extensively and cut the rounds fired down extensively when lethal force was used, this also cut the lawsuits way down and when we got sued, we usually won or had minimal liability...........training my people to shoot better, how to shoot with high accountability and using a fairly tough standard for officers........wow, imagine that.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The most highly trained people fuck up less, far less, than people not as well trained. It's a fact of life.

This article is completely out of touch with reality.

User Tag List