Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P Series observations and a question

Site Supporter

Sig P Series observations and a question

After checking out a few newfangled Sig crunchentickers at the LGS last night, I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Sig makes some pretty nice pistols
    2) DA/SA has some advantages and the DA first shot takes some getting used to but can be dealt with
    3) I greatly prefer the size, heft, and handling characteristics of the P226 over the P229 (personal preference)
    4) I like the Short Action Trigger
    5) I hate, loathe, and despise the short trigger because of its extreme curvature

I was developing a blister on my trigger finger after just 100 rounds through a P229 with the short trigger. So my question is this: can the short trigger found on the majority of the P series guns be swapped out for the normal more traditional Sig trigger without losing the SRT? Is this something I could attempt or is it best left to a gunsmith or Sig to do?

The shop had a P226 Extreme and a P226 MK25 in stock. I liked the grip profile on both of these vs. the E2 grip. The Extreme has the SRT and a short trigger with the normal P226 rail, whereas the MK25 has the more traditional trigger but a different rail. I am thinking I would like a pistol with the standard grip profile, standard P226 rail (or no rail), SRT, and normal trigger but I'm not sure this combination is available out of the box. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    The short trigger can be switched with the standard trigger without affecting the function of the SRT. I have the same preference as you: standard trigger, standard profile grips, and the SRT.

Swapping the short trigger for a standard trigger is maybe a 20 minute exercise the first time you do it. You'll have it done in less than 10 minutes after you've done it once. If you are getting into P-series Sigs, consider picking up a copy of Chris Orndorff's Armorer's Course DVD. We'll worth the $20.

You might find a 226 with a standard rail, SRT, and non-E2 plastic grips because Sig puts out every combination imaginable. The short trigger and E2 grip seem to be the most common these days though. Any of those parts can be swapped out easily and relatively inexpensively. The SRT would be the most expensive and time consuming to do yourself, so I'd try and find a model with that installed if possible. Grips and triggers are cheap and easy to change out.

Just to muddy the waters a bit, the MK25 comes with a legacy short extractor, which some people prefer because it has been around longer. Several members here have put quite a few rounds through 226s and 229s with the newer long extractor without issues, so I'm not sure it's worth worrying about.
    Last edited by 98z28; 12-17-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Correct typos

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the replies.

I actually like the way the MK25 is set up but for the rail. I'm afraid finding holsters for it could be a challenge. Plus I probably have little need for the coated internals.

Sounds like a P226 with SRT and standard grip profile, then swapping out the short trigger for a normal trigger would be the way to go if I did decide to buy one of these guns.

Grayguns also offers an after market trigger called P-SPIT for $50, I think. The website indicates that it's an intermediate trigger.

Personally, the MK25 has the more 'standard' rail as it is actually the milspec 1913. The SIG rail is their version of the bastard piccatinny rail. If your main concern is finding a holster for the MK25, I have yet to see a leather holster designed for the P226 fail to fit the MK25. Kydex holsters are a different story but most kydex makers (the more mainstream) support the MK25. IMO, the MK25 is the better setup. Installing an SRT sear is very easy. Also, I'm a purist and prefer (for no particular reason) the short extractor.

I'd do the Mk25 and convert to SRT later. Out of the box it's going to be more shootable than anything with the short trigger, which, like you, I despise. Though the grips on the 226 extreme are awesome and I'd end up buying them and putting them on the Mk25 anyway, plus I like the long extractor (I know, I'm weird).. so it's kind of a wash.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. So yeah, it seems like sort of a wash between the two and either one would make a good potential starting point. Thanks for your input guys!

Of course after using 1911s for decades I still have some hesitancy to even go down this path. But I do like the Sigs.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Personally, the MK25 has the more 'standard' rail as it is actually the milspec 1913. The SIG rail is their version of the bastard piccatinny rail. If your main concern is finding a holster for the MK25, I have yet to see a leather holster designed for the P226 fail to fit the MK25. Kydex holsters are a different story but most kydex makers (the more mainstream) support the MK25. IMO, the MK25 is the better setup. Installing an SRT sear is very easy. Also, I'm a purist and prefer (for no particular reason) the short extractor.
    Short extractor fan also.

Get the MK25 .

Lots of excellent KYDEX HOLSTERS for the MK25.
    AIWB,IWB,OWB

I like Tony's IWB holsters a lot / JM custom kydex

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I actually like the way the MK25 is set up but for the rail. I'm afraid finding holsters for it could be a challenge. Plus I probably have little need for the coated internals.

Sounds like a P226 with SRT and standard grip profile, then swapping out the short trigger for a normal trigger would be the way to go if I did decide to buy one of these guns.

I wish my P229 had coated parts. I always carry when boating / fishing .

Last time I went out I got caught in a storm.I was 15 miles out. On a 21 foot stand up . hardly any shelter. anyway I was soaked and cold and so was the P229.

User Tag List