Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen4 G19 vs. Gen4 G17 Accuracy Question

Gen4 G19 vs. Gen4 G17 Accuracy Question

Several knowledgable trainers (LAV, Kyle DeFoor, Mac among them) have noted that students armed with a Gen1/2/3 G17 seem to shoot 10-15% better than those armed with a Gen1/2/3 G19.

Has anyone seen this same discrepancy between Gen4 G17 and G19 pistols?

Thanks,

Okie John

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Are you talking about the pistol's inherent accuracy, or marksmanship advantages due to longer sight radius, larger grip, et cetera?

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Are you talking about the pistol's inherent accuracy, or marksmanship advantages due to longer sight radius, larger grip, et cetera?
    Defoor's point always seemed to be making the marksmanship point IIRC. But the OP may be exploring the angle that there was a mechanical component. A top gun hand recently challenged me with that question; whether the Gen3 19's seems to lag from a mechanically precise perspective, but that the Gen 4's were markedly better in that regard. I'm pondering a personal small sample test of that postulate.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    JHC -- If the question is simply whether the gen4 is generally more accurate than the gen3, in my experience both personal and professional the answer is absolutely yes. Could you find a particular gen3 model-whatever that was more accurate than a particular gen4 model-whatever? Sure. But with a mathematically significant sample size I'd be willing to bet cash money the gen4's will win out ... and by a meaningful margin.

When taking the sight radius benefit away (e.g., using a laser to aim) I've always found the 4" Glock barrels to be more accurate than their 4.5"+ versions and the baby Glocks sometimes the most accurate of all.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But the OP may be exploring the angle that there was a mechanical component.
    This.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Several knowledgable trainers (LAV, Kyle DeFoor, Mac among them) have noted that students armed with a Gen1/2/3 G17 seem to shoot 10-15% better than those armed with a Gen1/2/3 G19.

Has anyone seen this same discrepancy between Gen4 G17 and G19 pistols?

Thanks,

Okie John
    I spent the last 12 months shooting a Gen 4 G19 exclusively and the 12 months before that it was a Gen 4 G17 exclusively. I noticed no difference in accuracy. I no longer have the 17 but plan on keeping the 19 forever if that helps at all.

If using iron sights, then there can be a marksmanship advantage with the longer sight radius on a G17 (or G34). Some also notice better recoil control with the slightly longer grip on the G17/G34.

However there is no mechanical accuracy difference between the G17 and G19--if anything the shorter barrel of the G19 may offer an advantage as noted by ToddG above.

I carry a G19 these days, but I am using an RDS...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

That would seem counter intuitive that the 19 would be more accurate than the 17. Is there any specific reason why? I have both in gen 3 and I like them both. I am not sure which one I prefer, I have shot the 19 the most, including and AFHF course back in 2012, or 11. I think that the gun could benefit from getting the finger grooves removed and texture on the front and rear of the handle. I carry the 19, prefer the longer handle of the 17. Just my opinion.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Lot2Learn View Post
    Is there any specific reason why?
    The theory -- and I am not an engineer -- is that the shorter barrels flex less during the firing process.

Site Supporter
    This is an interesting tangent. Here's a link that talks about an optimal barrel length, not just something that's shorter.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

User Tag List