Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver article in MSW.

Nicely written article friend.

Let's see,

Zero equipment malfunctions. Zero ammunition malfunctions. Ultra reliable and easy enough to manipulate to get the job done. Seems fairly reasonable to me. I prefer autos for work, with a j frame snubby BUG, but I'd not feel the least bit unarmed with my choice of an N Frame .44 and some mid range SWC projectiles.

In fact in the winter months I often carry a 4" or 5" 44 as a CCW piece, especially when I have been out playing in the mountains and desert terrain that is local to me.

I can feel the passion for both autos and big bore wheelies..... plus j frames of course. In fact I just loaded up 250 wadcutters for a j frame practice session.

I guess I'm still missing it.

What's the point again? To take a class with a revolver to show that you can? Becauseld-time-sake?

Sitting wherever you're sitting now, what's on your hip?

And just so I'm clear, there are people in this thread advocating kicking in doors and/or driving around in patrol cars with 3-4" revolvers in 2014? Why?

I know it sounds like I'm being obtuse, but I'm really not. I'm just having a hard time understanding, outside of the caliber debate, what the point is. Even considering the caliber debate, is there some befit in terms of caliber that isn't being met with .45 ACP, or .40, or .357 SIG, or 10mm, or something else if you just happen to be anti-9mm?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I guess I'm still missing it.

What's the point again? To take a class with a revolver to show that you can? Becauseld-time-sake?

Sitting wherever you're sitting now, what's on your hip?

And just so I'm clear, there are people in this thread advocating kicking in doors and/or driving around in patrol cars with 3-4" revolvers in 2014? Why?

I know it sounds like I'm being obtuse, but I'm really not. I'm just having a hard time understanding, outside of the caliber debate, what the point is. Even considering the caliber debate, is there some befit in terms of caliber that isn't being met with .45 ACP, or .40, or .357 SIG, or 10mm, or something else if you just happen to be anti-9mm?
    LSP cited incapacitation on every OIS using .357 Magnum. Others said they felt well equipped with them.

Disclosure, I carry a Glock 19. However, if somebody else can shoot in the times/parameters required in a shooting class and perform well.

Does it matter? I guess I'm missing what you're missing here.

You think a Glock is better, roger. What else is there left to say? Tell all of the retired LE they're wrong until they hopefully agree?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    As I said in the article, I carried a wheelgun as a duty weapon for part of my LE career. At least the part when I could choose. Shot placement > capacity.
    As stated already, it's hard to imagine a practical "shot placement" benefit of the revolver over most of the LE semiautos in common use today. I'd be willing to be most folks can shoot a 5.5# Glock trigger better than a typical factory DA revolver trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Zero equipment malfunctions.
    You've never seen a revolver suffer a mechanical malfunction? Heck, a tiny piece of debris under the star can lock a gun up solid. Mistiming. Parts failure. Show me a revolver that has successfully made it through a typical 10-20k round LE test.

Zero ammunition malfunctions.
    Huh? Squibs are still squibs. Blown cases are still blown cases. Even a misfire is still a misfire. Sure, you can pull the trigger again but now you've given up 15-20% of your on-board ammo. With a semiauto it may take a little longer to get past that one specific possible problem but your end state is likely much more capable than if it happened with a wheelgun.

There are certainly particular ways in which a wheelgun can be as good as or superior to a semiauto, but there is a reason they're extinct in the LE/military world as far as primary/issued handguns are concerned.

Can it meet the needs of a self-defense shooter if he or she is capable?
    To me that's the most important line of the article. I didn't come away from reading the article with a desire to trade in my bottom feeders for wheel guns. I took away the idea (which I agree with) that someone who is a good revolver shooter is not handicapped just because they are shooting a wheel gun. Is it the best choice for some? No. But it might be for others.

Good article.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    There are times I choose to carry a 4" revolver over a semiauto. It's not a "carry rotation" thing. I understand and accept the revolver's limitations along with its strengths. The advantages of a semiauto are not imaginary, and I rely on one at least as often as a revolver. But I do still feel confident in the wheelgun when carrying one.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Did any one load or type of load stand out? Hot 125 vs. full-house 158 for example?

Okie John
    No. Back in those days, we only issued ammunition for qualification, which was all reloads and specifically not authorized for carry. Each trooper gets a 'standard allowance' on his/her monthly expense account, part of which was to buy carry ammo. There was a list specifying bullet weight and style (JHPs, between 125 and 158 grains, any "major current brand" of factory-loaded stuff; the "current major brand" clause was added after we found one old parish trooper with frigging Super Vels in his gun- in 1990 ).

As a result, there was a broad spectrum of brands/bullet weights used; no pattern, I specifically looked for one. We did, however, "ban" 110 grainers after one incident where it took five of those to put the guy down.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I guess I'm still missing it. Yes you are.

What's the point again? To take a class with a revolver to show that you can? Becauseld-time-sake? The point was to show, when judged by objective standards and realistic scenarios, that a revolver was still a relevant self defense tool.

Sitting wherever you're sitting now, what's on your hip?My sweat pants.

And just so I'm clear, there are people in this thread advocating kicking in doors and/or driving around in patrol cars with 3-4" revolvers in 2014? Why? I am not advocating the practice. I carried a 4" 7 shot 357 magnum until 2006. I would do it again. What law enforcement experience do you have say that there is something wrong with the practice?

I know it sounds like I'm being obtuse, but I'm really not. I'm just having a hard time understanding, outside of the caliber debate, what the point is. Even considering the caliber debate, is there some befit in terms of caliber that isn't being met with .45 ACP, or .40, or .357 SIG, or 10mm, or something else if you just happen to be anti-9mm? To each his own. Why do you prefer Glock or Sig or 40s&w or 9x23?

See comments in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The point was to show, when judged by objective standards and realistic scenarios, that a revolver was still a relevant self defense tool.
    Whose standards? "Time to put four rounds into each of two targets at 7yd" is objective. Given equally skilled shooters, even your 7-shot revolver hasn't a chance at meeting the same performance level as the typical LE semiauto.

Whose realistic scenarios? Because it's pretty realistic to assume there will be multiple bad guys, it's pretty realistic to assume any particular bad guy may need to be hit more than once, and pretty realistic to assume that the typical police officer won't achieve 100% accuracy under realistic conditions. Again, advantage semiauto.

What law enforcement experience do you have say that there is something wrong with the practice?
    Rob didn't say there was anything wrong with the practice. He simply asked why others were advocating it over, I say again, the variety of commonly issued semi autos in LE use today.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Whose standards? "Time to put four rounds into each of two targets at 7yd" is objective. Given equally skilled shooters, even your 7-shot revolver hasn't a chance at meeting the same performance level as the typical LE semiauto.

Whose realistic scenarios? Because it's pretty realistic to assume there will be multiple bad guys, it's pretty realistic to assume any particular bad guy may need to be hit more than once, and pretty realistic to assume that the typical police officer won't achieve 100% accuracy under realistic conditions. Again, advantage semiauto.

Rob didn't say there was anything wrong with the practice. He simply asked why others were advocating it over, I say again, the variety of commonly issued semi autos in LE use today.
    Whose standards and scenarios? Wayne and Darryl (nyeti) set the standards and scenarios.

I never said the revolver was superior and don't recall seeing anyone else suggest it either.

In the very first sentence of the article I say that you will most likely see a polymer framed semi auto in the holsters of LE. To each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List