Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver article in MSW.

Hizzie, so given the chance you would pick a revolver over a pistol...

Shot placement is no doubt very important, but a pistol can shoot just as accurate as a revolver. At least for me (BTW, I like revolvers and shoot them often, action games in DA).

I remember when I visited the FBI building in Washington DC in 1981 (I was 18 years old then ), and the tour included a shooting demonstration. The agent used a revolver (S&W 19 or 13) loaded with 38 spl (guesstimation by the noise), and shot pretty good. At the end there were questions asked from the public, and I raised my hand and candidly asked: "why do you still use revolvers?"... the agent looked at me funny, not amused, and did not reply, but a decade later nearly all of LE and .gov agencies changed to semiautos.

I've recently acquired a number of wheel guns to train with. I figure the change in platforms can only help DA/SA transitions and I like the idea of full boogie .357 rounds for self defense.

Not planning on carrying a revolver exclusively but I do like variety. I might think otherwise if I knew for certain that I'd be going into harms way (only from a capacity point of view).

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Then I suggest you haven't had the opportunity to be privy to the results of many shootings involving different calibers, etc.

No one in his right mind would postulate that ANY revolver is "better", all things considered, than a modern service semi-auto... and that's not what Hizzie was getting at. IIRC, the thrust of his piece was that a good DA revolver is still viable; and I agree.

I am aware of all the conventional wisdom that says "modern" 9mm bullets do much better these days, etc., etc. And I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that.

I am also aware that, when I took over the FTU, I had access to ALL of my agency's data, and I went back as far as they kept records on the various shootings we had been involved in. There was one caliber that worked EVERY time; and by "worked", I mean it put the bad guy DOWN, and OUT OF THE FIGHT, every time. Not just psychological incapacitation... REAL incapacitation or death. Some would guess that caliber would be the gauge. Nope. It was the .357.

So discount that if you wish.
    Yep. If I was still kicking down doors for a living and had the choice I would dig out the old S&W Model 65 to put on my hip without any hesitation.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I read the article. Not sure anyone is coming to take my Glocks away.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

It was a good article, but while I enjoy my revolvers, as I/we've discussed previously here, mine will be restricted to day carry, competition, and nightstand use. Ease of reloading, combined with increased capacity make using a semi-auto (such as a Glock 19) a huge, if not determinative, plus in nighttime/low light scenarios.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Hizzie, so given the chance you would pick a revolver over a pistol...
    I did in the past. If hell froze over and I ended up working a beat again I probably would pack a six gun on my hip with four speedloaders on the belt, a snubby somewhere and a speed strip in my left uniform shirt pocket behind my business cards. I haven't sold off my Glocks and don't plan to.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Great article Hizzie, and I think it brings up an option for carry that most people don't even consider (weather they would agree with it or not once they do think about it).

The GP100 in a sweet rig like that JMCK is some serious old/new school.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I am also aware that, when I took over the FTU, I had access to ALL of my agency's data, and I went back as far as they kept records on the various shootings we had been involved in. There was one caliber that worked EVERY time; and by "worked", I mean it put the bad guy DOWN, and OUT OF THE FIGHT, every time. Not just psychological incapacitation... REAL incapacitation or death. Some would guess that caliber would be the gauge. Nope. It was the .357.
    Did any one load or type of load stand out? Hot 125 vs. full-house 158 for example?

Okie John

Site Supporter
    In free America, a 3" service revolver loses a lot to a Glock 19 from a practical perspective. When that Glock 19 is restricted to 10 round (or less) neutered magazines which may compromise reliability, the 3" service revolver and 8 shot 45 autos are once again serious contenders.

Or, what if you just like revolvers ?

My 5" Pre 27 won't be replacing my Glock 17 or SIG 229 at work but it makes me a better shooter Because / passion of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hizzie View Post
    somebody needed to look up "modern" in the dictionary.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13161
    well written hizzie! It was fun wasn"t it......................................cya retro
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

User Tag List