Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp AIWB

Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp AIWB

I have an opportunity to get a Wiley Clapp Blued Ruger for $480 shipped. It has some wear but not too bad, mostly from carrying. I think that is a fair price but am not totally sure. I've heard rumors they are discontinued. I was always intrigued by this pistol and think it would be a fun mix up for AIWB EDC. Has anyone done this? Would it be more comfortable than a G17?

I’ve done it. It’s heavier. The cylinder is a little bulky. They do balance very different , but in a good way.

I ran a HiTS class with that very setup. Wrote an article. Spawned a great discussion. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....article-in-MSW

http://instagram.com/p/BHvScWthDpf/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    I think that is a fair price but am not totally sure.
    Check GunBroker's past sales. I sort by "highest number of bids" to find guns that actually sold.

I was always intrigued by this pistol and think it would be a fun mix up for AIWB EDC. Has anyone done this? Would it be more comfortable than a G17?
    The Ruger is bigger than a K-frame, and likely a bit heavier. Check the specs. For AIWB revolver not a J-frame, I'd be looking at a 3-in Model 64 or 65 with a bobbed, DAO hammer.

With the right holster, a revolver may be more comfortable. The barrel, frame and grip on a revolver can be narrower/flatter than a G17, but the cylinder is thicker. So the critical thing is to find the right place on your body where it tucks in and nestles perfectly, and the right holster to make that happen. Probably some trial and error required on that.

It will likely be heavier than the Glock (you can look up the specs) and will hold 1/3 as much ammo with slower, more difficult reloads.

The nice thing is the Ruger can be slicked up, still with all stock springs, to have a much nicer DA trigger pull than you're likely to find in a dependable Glock. Might not be faster, but it is very smooth and linear. And the SA (not recommended for SD use) can be nicer than most 1911s. A well-done K-frame is reputed to be even better, but I have no hands-on experience with that.

Bottom line for me: I love my GP100 and have a G34 that I don't love and wish I could sell for anything near what I have in it. But the only time I can see carrying the Ruger over something lighter with more capacity is in woods where my main concern would be four-legged aggressors. If I was EDCing a G17 and wanted something more comfortable, I'd look to any of several compact semi-autos before a revolver.

On the other hand, that's probably a pretty good price for the WC, and if you are just looking for an excuse to buy one to mess around with, I say go for it after you verify the price and condition.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I’ve done it. It’s heavier. The cylinder is a little bulky. They do balance very different , but in a good way.

I ran a HiTS class with that very setup. Wrote an article. Spawned a great discussion. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....article-in-MSW
    This is why Im debating ordering an AIWB holster for my 3" 65 or 4" 586.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 10-30-2017 at 06:16 AM.

I have a JM AIWB with a fixed loop for a Wiley Clapp GP 100 (right handed). If you need a good rig, I’d sell it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My JM AIWB makes for a very comfortable, very concealable setup with the only issue being the hammer spur digging into my stomach. Where most of the revolver is below the waist, as compared to an auto, I have less issues with the grip printing under a thin t-shirt. I don’t carry it, because more bullets, but if I were to I would bob the hammer and all would be well in the world again.

I had Tony put a hammer spur guard on mine.

Love my Wiley Clapp GP100. Don't picture myself carrying it IWB though.

However, I am very interested in any OWB solutions folks here may have tried out. More as a backwoods setup.

Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I had Tony put a hammer spur guard on mine.

That’s what I should have done.
    Last edited by S Jenks; 10-30-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I have an opportunity to get a Wiley Clapp Blued Ruger for $480 shipped. It has some wear but not too bad, mostly from carrying. I think that is a fair price but am not totally sure. I've heard rumors they are discontinued. I was always intrigued by this pistol and think it would be a fun mix up for AIWB EDC. Has anyone done this? Would it be more comfortable than a G17?
    There were supposed to be a limited edition with 2500 produced. I'm not sure if Talo/Ruger stuck with that or not.

The "hawkeye blue" can have finish issues. Mine wore EXTREMELY quickly, like within a month of carrying it. Ruger re-finished it under warranty, though.

I really dig mine, but I'm not a appendix carrier so I can't help there.

User Tag List