Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 232

Thread: Revolver article in MSW.

  1. #1
    Member Hizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas

    Revolver article in MSW.

    Somebody needed to look up "modern" in the dictionary.

    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13161
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

  2. #2
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Madisonville, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Somebody needed to look up "modern" in the dictionary.

    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13161
    I just read it. Every time I decide to rid myself of all revolvers I read an article like this and now I want a medium frame revolver.

    JR1572

  3. #3
    just commented on it over there. Good stuff and on the money as far as my observations. Just finished a good range session with my 686 SSR, and kept getting this "why am I not carrying this everyday" feeling.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

  4. #4
    Site Supporter rob_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE FL
    Maybe I missed it in the article, is there some functional or practical advantage to the medium-frame revolver over the mid-sized polymer auto?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Maybe I missed it in the article, is there some functional or practical advantage to the medium-frame revolver over the mid-sized polymer auto?


    Yes... unless you discount the difference between full-patch .357s and the Euro-Pellets, that everyone seems enamored with these days, on the receiving end.

    .

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Asuncion, Paraguay
    What exactly is the great thing a steel 6 round 357 mag revolver have over a lighter pistol with 16-18 shots of modern JHP 9 mm?
    Surely the reloads aren't any faster...

    Would you choose a revolver like this one over a modern semiauto, for self defense, ,military, or LE duty? That’s what would show the real “relevance” IMO.

  7. #7
    Member Hizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Just to be up front, I wrote that piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

  8. #8
    Site Supporter rob_s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE FL
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yes... unless you discount the difference between full-patch .357s and the Euro-Pellets, that everyone seems enamored with these days, on the receiving end.

    .
    Yes I do, in so many ways and for so many reasons.

    is that it, then?

  9. #9
    Member Hizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What exactly is the great thing a steel 6 round 357 mag revolver have over a lighter pistol with 16-18 shots of modern JHP 9 mm?
    Surely the reloads aren't any faster...

    Would you choose a revolver like this one over a modern semiauto, for self defense, ,military, or LE duty? That’s what would show the real “relevance” IMO.
    As I said in the article, I carried a wheelgun as a duty weapon for part of my LE career. At least the part when I could choose. Shot placement > capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Yes I do, in so many ways and for so many reasons.
    Then I suggest you haven't had the opportunity to be privy to the results of many shootings involving different calibers, etc.

    No one in his right mind would postulate that ANY revolver is "better", all things considered, than a modern service semi-auto... and that's not what Hizzie was getting at. IIRC, the thrust of his piece was that a good DA revolver is still viable; and I agree.

    I am aware of all the conventional wisdom that says "modern" 9mm bullets do much better these days, etc., etc. And I'm sure there is a lot of truth to that.

    I am also aware that, when I took over the FTU, I had access to ALL of my agency's data, and I went back as far as they kept records on the various shootings we had been involved in. There was one caliber that worked EVERY time; and by "worked", I mean it put the bad guy DOWN, and OUT OF THE FIGHT, every time. Not just psychological incapacitation... REAL incapacitation or death. Some would guess that caliber would be the gauge. Nope. It was the .357.

    So discount that if you wish.

    .

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •