Thread: Gunsmith J frame sights v.s 640 Pro

Site Supporter

Gunsmith J frame sights v.s 640 Pro

What are the hive's thoughts on sending out a J frame for a front/rear sight install from Bowen, D&L, or similar, versus snagging the one new model that comes with them (640 Pro)? Price is a bit of an issue, so total cost of firearm+work+shipping vs. new/good to go is a major point.

I know the 640 has more going for it, but honestly the sights and longer ejector rod are the two main mechanical differences that matter to me.

So, what's your thoughts?

The issue with the 640 Pro is that a significant number of them seem to shoot several inches low. I know mine does. If it didn't have that tritium front, I would have filed down the front and been done with it. I wish someone would make either a replacement rear or front to fix this.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    The issue with the 640 Pro is that a significant number of them seem to shoot several inches low. I know mine does. If it didn't have that tritium front, I would have filed down the front and been done with it. I wish someone would make either a replacement rear or front to fix this.
    How low at what distance, and what grain/pressure ammo? It's common with J's to the best of my knowledge if shooting something besides 158 grain standard pressure (and my knowledge is limited).

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    How low at what distance, and what grain/pressure ammo? It's common with J's to the best of my knowledge if shooting something besides 158 grain standard pressure (and my knowledge is limited).
    Anywhere from 2" to 6" low at 15 yards off the bench with everything including wadcutters, 158 standard pressure/plus P, and 125-135 grain standard/plus P. I've tested almost 30 different loads across the spectrum. Speer 357 magnum short barrel load shoots 3.25" low. The load that shot closest to the sights was a low end .357 hand-load with 700x and a 180 Sierra FMJ. That one was still 1" low. The most accurate load in the gun is the Fiocchi 158 grain FMJ. That load went into 1", but 2.75" low.

The older S&W J frames were indeed regulated for 158 grain ammo. I believe the more recent guns shoot 125-135 grain loads to the sights.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

IIRC, Bowen isn't doing J frame sights anymore. No clue what D&L charges these days but the number $200 sticks in my head from years back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    IIRC, Bowen isn't doing J frame sights anymore. No clue what D&L charges these days but the number $200 sticks in my head from years back.
    Bowen got back to me, saying they don't do them anymore, but they do have some parts that they'll supply to other smiths. Bowen refered two other smiths for the work.

D&L is $250 for plain black, plus a box of ammo to sight in and associated shipping. Not bad, but they only do the work on models with pinned front sights (mine are not).

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    If someone did an all black rear that had the gun shoot to PoA with typical hi performance short barrel loads, the gun would be spectacular. I use only 158 plus P as it is what gets at least close. I think they were built around full house 158 .357 or something like hat which nobody actually shoots. Being Novak did the originals, I wish they would do he fix as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List