Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Effect of Cold Weather on Ammo?

Effect of Cold Weather on Ammo?

I am wondering what effect if any, storing ammo in the cold has on reliability. I work at a school so I can't carry at work, so my carry gun usually spends monday-friday in a car safe. I live in Vermont where it's below 30 basically from November-March. Is this going to have any effect on the reliability of my carry ammo or carry gun?

Lower peak pressures so lower velocity.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Lower peak pressures so lower velocity.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Are we talking significantly? Enough to affect function or no big deal?

For a carry handgun I'd say no big deal regarding the ammo. However, the lube type and amount on your gun could be factor in its reliable operation. Recommend you give it the cold test to find out.

What is the cold test? Shoot it while it's really cold?

Shoot it under the same conditions you describe. I've seen folks show up at an indoor range with a cold-soaked gun and wonder why their gun is having stoppages and other issues. The type and amount of lube is often the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    For a carry handgun I'd say no big deal regarding the ammo. However, the lube type and amount on your gun could be factor in its reliable operation. Recommend you give it the cold test to find out.
    Yup. Makes people who are emotionally invested into the latest flavor of the month lube very upset to see it actually doesn't work.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Depends on the gunpowder the ammunition is loaded with.

Some is temperature sensitive, some is not as much.

I'd hate to see something loaded with WSF, which is reverse temperature sensitive, stored in that manner if it was a max load (fortunately, WSF is relatively safe to load to 9mm major velocities).

I have been known to leave a gun in the freezer overnight, or in the trunk on really cold days or nights, and then do a test shoot.

I have seen function issues with some guns, some ammo, and some lubes. Cold can also effect your ammo performance; http://looserounds.com/2014/10/01/th...little-secret/

Gun is a Glock 26 loaded with P9HST2. Lube is M-Pro-7. I tend to go very sparingly on the lube as I've found glocks don't really need or want that much, just in the right places. Not sure if any of that helps. That was an interesting article Chuck. I've always been a little hesitant to look at a J frame for the reasons mentioned, namely, .38 seems to have trouble performing out of a 2" barrel under the best of circumstances.

User Tag List