Thread: Is This Drill Appropriate for Action Pistol Shooting

Is This Drill Appropriate for Action Pistol Shooting

I've been doing what I would describe as an isometric drill: assume a shooting stance and hold a sight picture for 1 minute followed by 2 minutes of rest, repeat. I'm a relatively new shooter doing IDPA and Steel Challenge. Is this a good drill for action pistol competition? My concern is that I find myself tightening not only my arm muscles, but also my shoulder muscles: might work in Steel Challenge, but for IDPA/USPSA do you ever really lock into this sort of position? Now I do want to improve at the range which demands a)better trigger management and b)steadier sight picture, but for other than bullseye shooting I'm not sure this drill is my best use of time.

I'll also add that we finally have a place to set up our steel plates and practice at "speed" with our centerfire handguns; can't use FMJ or plated, but I'm reloading coated lead.

For what you are doing/want to be doing (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC) I would say no. Through those sports, you are trying to acquire an acceptable sight picture and sight allignment AS FAST as possible. How long you can hold that position does not really come into play. For what you are trying to accomplish, working your draw to first shot, sight tracking during splits, and target to target transitions (all focused and acquiring the sights quickly) would probably be a better use of your time.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

Not at all. Pick up a reputable dry fire training manual and start there. There's tons of live fire drills available online and in print to follow up with.

I'm going through an interesting transition from and M&P 40 to a 9mm 1911 with softer hand loads. I'm much more accurate right out of the box. The gun, of course, helps, but not "over-gripping" makes a big difference in terms of sight picture stability. Doesn't hurt that the recoil is much less. Looking back to my original post I'm inclined to think the drill is fine as long as it's not overdone and done in the manner you shoot, not locked up finger tip to shoulder blade.

Instead of a handgun, try a weight plate. I have one with the "handles" and about twice a week do press outs from my chest (standing) to work the muscle groups. Helps.

User Tag List