Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock aftermarket barrel discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Why did you guys get rid of them?
    The Gen 4 OEM barrel had a better lock up and there was no improvement in accuracy with the 9mm Wilson barrel.
    I would get slightly better accuracy from the KKM barrels in my Gen 3 Glocks in 9mm but I no longer own any Gen 3 Glocks.
    All my Glocks are now Gen 4 and have OEM barrels.

On quite a few older 9 mm 3rd gen G17's & G19's myself and most of the guys I know have used KKM drop in barrels--they truly did just drop in and improved accuracy from the box stock 90-95 w/low X-count at 25 yds slow fire on an NRA B8 to 98-100 and a high X-count. We have seen no problems with reliability and have clearly noted a bit more accuracy and consistency in our 25 & 50 yard bulls-eye shooting. The Wilson and Compass Lake barrels we have tried also just dropped in, but we did not notice quite as much improvement in accuracy. Note that we have not purchased any KKM barrels for over 18 mo, so things might have changed--in fact, I have heard of some QC issues from some SOCAL cops and others who reported significant problems with their recent KKM's, so BEWARE.

I have heard very good reports about the fitted Briley and Barsto Glock barrels in 3rd gen 9 mm Glocks, but they WILL need a bit of fitting. These are the barrels I will use in the future if for some reason I run across a 9 mm Glock which could benefit from improved accuracy.

Also keep in mind that the recent production Glock OEM barrels have generally been shooting very well (with some exceptions), so I am not sure I would use a non-OEM barrel in a current 9 mm Glock unless there was some drastic need to do so. For example, I recently shot a new "XBF" serial number 3rd gen G19 which went 100-6x at 25 yds slow fire on an NRA B8 right out of the box using the stock OEM Glock barrel and firing Federal 147 gr AE9FP FMJ.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I would start with ammo. I have been getting excellent results with Glock OEM barrels at 25-100 yards with Lawman TMJ 115 as a shooter load and 124+P Gold Dot as a JHP load. I think the Glock trigger is major negative or plus, depending upon how you run the trigger, in getting the most out of the Glock. Shoot it like a 1911 and you will likely be disappointed in group size, but shoot it like a DA revolver and, in my experience you will be pleasantly surprised.

100 yard examples of 3 different G3 17 pistols with OEM barrels, with Lawman 115 TMJ:

Last edited by GJM; 12-11-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    In an effort to get more accuracy out of my current Gen4 G19 (2012 production, TCE series #), I bought a KKM drop in barrel. My experiences were unpleasant. Not only did I experience no appreciable change in accuracy (which I'm becoming convinced in THIS Glock are a result of issues besides the barrel), but it took a normally reliable pistol and turned it into a reliability nightmare. Needless to say, after struggling to get through a 200 round range day, I took it out and it's never gone back in.

The more I work with Glocks, the more convinced I become that, especially in the newer models, accuracy is MUCH more a factor of tolerance stacking issues than barrel quality. YMMV, of course.
    I've only seen horrid accuracy from one Gen 4 and it was a G21. It was reliable across a few hundred rounds but was like my 5" M&P - a 5-6" 25 yard gun. It's slide would rock on the frame side to side. I've never seen that before. That's part of my check out of any Glock now for sure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A big part of the answer to your question depends what you want to achieve. If that’s a true match-grade 9mm pistol, then I’d start with something people figured out how to accurize a long time ago, like a 1911. If you want a Glock that's somewhat more accurate than a stock gun, then you’re on the right track.

I have two Gen3 G17s with fitted Wilson Combat barrels. I’ve compared WC barrels and OEM barrels in these guns and found that groups made with WC barrels are 30-50% smaller, but that this difference isn't readily apparent until ranges get beyond 25 yards. After several years of chasing accuracy in Glocks, a new barrel wouldn’t be my first step toward improving accuracy.

Setting aside software issues for a minute, I’d start by upgrading ammo, ideally to a handload that’s been optimized for your pistol. One of the G17’s mentioned above has made numerous 3” five-shot groups at 50 yards with cast-bullet handloads in the OEM barrel, which is well as it shoots good jacketed bullets in the WC barrel. I know Glocks aren’t supposed to work with cast bullets, but here we are…

If you don’t handload, then test factory ammo and pick the load your pistol shoots best. The accuracy difference between loads can be surprising.

I’d also refine the trigger by testing connectors and trigger springs, and I’d do a 25-cent trigger job.

All of this pertains to Gen3 guns, and will get you a pistol that’s about as accurate as the typical HK is out of the box.

I just picked up a Gen4 G17 for T&E. The first five shots went into 1.25” offhand at 25 yards.

Based on my sample of 1, I’m not sure that fitting a barrel to a Gen4 gun would be worth the effort.

Okie John
    Thx Okie, your aftermarket barrel results info is always helpful. Re the reloading thing - that's a good reason I think why for a few years I've only enjoyed the hypothetical aftermarket barrels. For some time to come I'll just be shooting whatever UMC, WWB, Blazer, Tula, Monarch, AE I come across.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have a couple of G17 Gen4's I shoot with primarily.

One has a fitted Jarvis barrel, the other recently got a drop-in Bar Sto that fits up very tight.

The Jarvis, after ~30,000 rounds has <15 thousandths of play in the hood, and probably a little more in the locking lug area. It was always a little looser than the Bar Sto, which has zero play in the hood and less play in the locking area.

Both will shoot into ~1.3"-1.4" for ten rounds, best groups with my handloads at 25 yards using non-premium bullets (Precision Delta 124 JHPs). Shooting 97-100's off-hand at 25 into B8's is on the shooter, it's only a matter of the X-count, which averages about 5X. The Bar Sto is a more accurate barrel right now, but the Jarvis has ~30K of jacketed on it and has seen better days. I didn't measure it when new, but it was always fitted a little looser.

I've had one or two issues with the Bar Sto though in a few thousand round with my reloads. The chamber is very tight and my brass was getting old and twice a round failed to go into battery. I traced this back to the ammo bulging slightly at the base, as I don't case guage practice ammo, but the Bar Sto chamber is very, very tight. I'm not sure I'd run it on a defensive gun. I've never had an issue with the Jarvis in comparison. Its chamber is not quite as tight.

Using Zeros or Hornady's, I can shoot better at 50 yards, but can't tell a difference at 25.

With the stock barrels, I was averaging about 2.5" for 10-round groups at 25 yards. So barrels for me are worth about a 40-45% improvement over stock. There might be more there but I'm likely chasing a sub 1" group with a >1" skillset, for 10 round groups anyway. I've had 5-round groups in the .4" range CTC, if I throw out the other 5 that open it up to 1.5".

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    I have a couple of G17 Gen4's I shoot with primarily.

One has a fitted Jarvis barrel, the other recently got a drop-in Bar Sto that fits up very tight.

The Jarvis, after ~30,000 rounds has <15 thousandths of play in the hood, and probably a little more in the locking lug area. It was always a little looser than the Bar Sto, which has zero play in the hood and less play in the locking area.

Both will shoot into ~1.3"-1.4" for ten rounds, best groups with my handloads at 25 yards using non-premium bullets (Precision Delta 124 JHPs). Shooting 97-100's off-hand at 25 into B8's is on the shooter, it's only a matter of the X-count, which averages about 5X. The Bar Sto is a more accurate barrel right now, but the Jarvis has ~30K of jacketed on it and has seen better days. I didn't measure it when new, but it was always fitted a little looser.

I've had one or two issues with the Bar Sto though in a few thousand round with my reloads. The chamber is very tight and my brass was getting old and twice a round failed to go into battery. I traced this back to the ammo bulging slightly at the base, as I don't case guage practice ammo, but the Bar Sto chamber is very, very tight. I'm not sure I'd run it on a defensive gun. I've never had an issue with the Jarvis in comparison. Its chamber is not quite as tight.

Using Zeros or Hornady's, I can shoot better at 50 yards, but can't tell a difference at 25.

With the stock barrels, I was averaging about 2.5" for 10-round groups at 25 yards. So barrels for me are worth about a 40-45% improvement over stock. There might be more there but I'm likely chasing a sub 1" group with a >1" skillset, for 10 round groups anyway. I've had 5-round groups in the .4" range CTC, if I throw out the other 5 that open it up to 1.5".
    See, and for pure enjoyment that just sounds like wicked fun.

Mizer67

Thanks for the good info. What are your thoughts or findings when running premium defensive ammo in the bar-sto or running new factory ammo through them?

Has anyone gotten an accuracy improvement from having your OEM barrel recrowned like I've heard about now and then? How much did it cost?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The best group I've gotten with my Gen4 G19, OEM barrel and 124gr +P Gold dots was just over 3.5" at 25 yards:

On a whim I borrowed a KKM drop in barrel from a friend. It cut about an inch off the group size:

I also shot a group at 50 yards to see how it did. I was pleasantly surprised:

I'm sure a day will come when I want to spend the money to buy one (or get one fitted) but my Gen 4 G19 has exceptional accuracy (for me) without an aftermarket barrel.
    If not me, then who?

User Tag List