Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    I currently carry 5.56 GMX TAP in my 16" AR15,was curious if switching my barrel,bolt,and mags to 6.8 and buying a cheap 556 upper for plinking would be worth it. The round I'm looking forward to is. Hornady's Full Boar 100 grain GMX,this seems to be the cat's meow in 6.8,high B.C.,high velocity,and probably excellent terminal/barrier performance,any input is appreciated.
    Out of curiosity, what are you using the 6.8 for other than home defense?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    With traditional AR15 lowers, we had good results with Barrett and PRI 6.8 mm magazines.

I never understood why no one offers 14.5 barrels in 6.8mm ? Mainly 16.1+FH and sbr barrels that are under 14.5inches

6.8 mm is like a modern .30-30; it allows the AR15 to successfully harvest all game in the lower 48 states at ranges out to 300 or so.

It also brings terminal performance and intermediate barrier capability of the AR15 to near AR10 levels for defensive encounters...
    With the exception of moose. Or at least I am not willing to hunt moose with a .30-30 or its equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Not sure what the point of the 6.8SPC is when the 6.5 Grendel is available. Whatever the 6.8 can do the 6.5 can do better by orders of magnitude.
    I don't think 6.5G has anywhere near the market support that 6.8SPC or 300BLK has, not to mention ammo availability. Sure you can find the stuff, but options are much more limited than they are with the two other options. Given 6.5G's high BC it is a shame, but also a reality.

6.8 mm is like a modern .30-30; it allows the AR15 to successfully harvest all game in the lower 48 states at ranges out to 300 or so.

It also brings terminal performance and intermediate barrier capability of the AR15 to near AR10 levels for defensive encounters...
    Wow. With the versatility of the 6.8 SPC, is there any reason to have a rifle chambered in 5.56? Ammo availability perhaps? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    I don't think 6.5G has anywhere near the market support that 6.8SPC or 300BLK has, not to mention ammo availability. Sure you can find the stuff, but options are much more limited than they are with the two other options. Given 6.5G's high BC it is a shame, but also a reality.
    It has plenty of market support. One does not need fifty ammo options or thirty magazine vendors.

The 300BLK is a non starter, as its reasons for being are not important to me. The 6.8's ballistics are weak.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have any experience with the 6.8 through a 12.5" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    It has plenty of market support. One does not need fifty ammo options or thirty magazine vendors.
    That is largely dependent on the individual, and not a general, blanket statement.

Although why people have so much wrapped up in telling others which 6.x round to pick is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are you using the 6.8 for other than home defense?
    Possibly deer hunting,I like the idea of enhanced barrier performance without the recoil and round reduction of .308

Thanks Doc that's the idea I had

User Tag List