Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 SPC vs 5.56

6.8 SPC vs 5.56

I currently carry 5.56 GMX TAP in my 16" AR15,was curious if switching my barrel,bolt,and mags to 6.8 and buying a cheap 556 upper for plinking would be worth it. The round I'm looking forward to is. Hornady's Full Boar 100 grain GMX,this seems to be the cat's meow in 6.8,high B.C.,high velocity,and probably excellent terminal/barrier performance,any input is appreciated.

What do you want to do with it?

I found the 6.8 was most excellent for hunting with (as far as AR15's go, at least.)

Site Supporter
    I just built a 16 inch 6.8 AR for an all around carbine but also for hunting deer and hogs. I have multiple ARs and was pleasantly surprised about how the 6.8 shoot compared to 5.56/223

6.8 mm is like a modern .30-30; it allows the AR15 to successfully harvest all game in the lower 48 states at ranges out to 300 or so.

It also brings terminal performance and intermediate barrier capability of the AR15 to near AR10 levels for defensive encounters...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Doc, you're probably the most accredited voice on the subject of which I'm aware; do you have any current hardware recommendations as far as uppers and mags?

I mean I'm assuming the usual suspects on uppers, but I know nothing about 6.8 mags.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

With traditional AR15 lowers, we had good results with Barrett and PRI 6.8 mm magazines.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Thank you.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Not sure what the point of the 6.8SPC is when the 6.5 Grendel is available. Whatever the 6.8 can do the 6.5 can do better by orders of magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    6.8 mm is like a modern .30-30; it allows the AR15 to successfully harvest all game in the lower 48 states at ranges out to 300 or so.

It also brings terminal performance and intermediate barrier capability of the AR15 to near AR10 levels for defensive encounters...
    Agree

I have read about Inuit who used a 222rem bolt action to take down polar bears. I bought a Savage 222rem when I was in high school its was more accurate than my rem 700 in 30 06 and 223

User Tag List