Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sandy Hook victim's families to sue Bushmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    "Other drunk drivers have killed children while operating a Ford, so Ford should have foreseen that their cars were inherently dangerous to children..."
    In fact, given how many children die in car accidents, I may be criminally negligent every time I strap my boys into their car seats. I don't even keep my kitchen knives in a safe, for crying out loud. Where do I turn myself in?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

FEMA processing camp A-642. Location 37.2350° N, 115.8111° W.

Get moving citizen!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    However, wouldn't the plaintiffs try to argue that the misuse of the firearm was foreseeable, given the AR-15's use in other prior active shooting events?
    In the Sandy Hook case I doubt they would get as far as foreseeability. There are other elements (duty, breach of duty) and defenses (intervening negligence by another party that is the sole proximate cause of the injuries) that are probably going to get in the way before you get that far. This is only applicable to negligence and is pretty simplified.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    FEMA processing camp A-642. Location 37.2350° N, 115.8111° W.

Get moving citizen!

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    So, this is counting on the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act's "Negligent Entrustment" exception?

(ETA: I'm not even seeing how that would apply... How does this not get bounced by the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act? Will one of you lawyer dudes explain what I'm missing?)
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-09-2014 at 07:05 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    So, this is counting on the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act's "Negligent Entrustment" exception?

(ETA: I'm not even seeing how that would apply... How does this not get bounced by the Lawful Commerce in Arms Act? Will one of you lawyer dudes explain what I'm missing?)
    Heh. I didn't forget about that. Seriously...

Nah, Lawful Commerce will probably bounce this on its own. But I don't think the case has merit under basic tort principals even if it didn't apply.

By chance, a buddy called from CT this evening. He said there is about to be a release of information from the shooting, and that "insiders" know that the BM AR jammed, and the deaths or substantially all the deaths were the result of 9mm handgun wounds. I know nothing, but if this turned out to be true, I suspect this lawsuit will not have legs.

Google turned up this:

http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/sandy-...n-be-unveiled/
    Last edited by GJM; 12-09-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: add link
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...the BM AR jammed...
    Well, that'd be a first. :|
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    By chance, a buddy called from CT this evening. He said there is about to be a release of information from the shooting, and that "insiders" know that the BM AR jammed, and the deaths or substantially all the deaths were the result of 9mm handgun wounds. I know nothing, but if this turned out to be true, I suspect this lawsuit will not have legs.

Google turned up this:

http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/sandy-...n-be-unveiled/
    This report makes it pretty clear that the Bushmaster was the primary firearm used:http://www.ct.gov/csao/lib/csao/Sand...nal_Report.pdf

Nonetheless, the PLCAA is a pretty substantial hurdle to going after Bushmaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List