Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Extreme shooting elitism inside...

Doesn't bother me if they do it without endangering others... Who knows, maybe they are getting ready for a Magpul class (or just got back).

I actually love to blast away at cans and clay pigeons, but am more frugal and serious about training these days.

For most, I believe, firearms are a hobby. Luckily hobbies are allowed here in the US, otherwise there wouldn't be recreational golf, skiing, etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    Doesn't bother me if they do it without endangering others... Who knows, maybe they are getting ready for a Magpul class (or just got back).

I actually love to blast away at cans and clay pigeons, but am more frugal and serious about training these days.

For most, I believe, firearms are a hobby. Luckily hobbies are allowed here in the US, otherwise there wouldn't be recreational golf, skiing, etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Good point. I will now come off my high horse. And maybe next time I go to the range I'll bring along something fun to shoot in addition to the gear I need for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    As long as they are safe and training properly.... Ideally, they should be encouraged to go to a class. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies.
    Agreed. Getting solid and professional training should be the number 1 priority of these folks. You really don't know what you don't know.

Having "Gucci" kit does not make someone proficient operating a carbine, shotgun or handgun. Less is often more in terms of gear, unless you're part of an organization / unit that mandates that you don _______ for _______. I've seen countless shooters in classes wearing all kinds of high speed gear, only to discover that they don't need 8 carbine mags strapped to their chest, over an empty (and therefore useless) plate carrier, 4 more mags in a drop pouch, and an additional 4 on their belt. as the day progresses, the gear comes off.

Good gear is only part of the equation. Mindset, tactics and being able to effectively apply the fundamentals under stress are more important, IMO.

With all that said, as long as people are being SAFE on the range, they can wear whatever they want. Doesn't bother me in the least.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Personally I think that if a man is naked and is standing in a locked room with ten other naked men, and can't keep at least half of them from raping him, then the last thing he needs is a carbine course.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Personally I think that if a man is naked and is standing in a locked room with ten other naked men, and can't keep at least half of them from raping him, then the last thing he needs is a carbine course.
    I have no desire to have even the slightest idea of what you do on your days off...

SN, where did that come from? You are supposed to be retired now and enjoying the good life fishing in the Gulf, thinking about rainbows and unicorns. Congrats on the retirement but... if you don't mind my saying, that was gheyer than Freddie Mercury singing a duet with Liberace in a bathhouse. That said, I could probably hold my own in that room against Liberace for a bit... but Freddy had all those crazy teeth.

And we already have our post of the month for August
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Well, that does put a unique twist on the question "Is the glass half empty or half full?"...

Quote Originally Posted by agent-smith View Post
    Well, that does put a unique twist on the question "Is the glass half empty or half full?"...
    Yikes!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Good gear is only part of the equation.
    But it's frequently the only part of the equation that gets much attention. Travel to any number of forums and look through the discussions and you'll frequently see item X vs. item Y, but rarely will you see discussions about improving techniques, practices, and habits. The exception will be releasing the slide from lock which seems to generate endless (often uninformed) arguments. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a debate about the inherent mechanical accuracy of a Glock vs. a 1911 from people who could probably barely keep it on paper at 7 yards I'd be able to buy another P30.

EDIT - ...and no more Vigo Mortensen movies for SouthNarc.

User Tag List