Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I don't rely on or employ the "Auto-forwad" emergency reload technique....

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    My G29 and G30 both "auto-forwarded" pretty consistently if the mag was seated briskly; of course, in both cases a full mag weighed almost as much as the empty gun, so there's probably a Gee-Mister-Wizard inertia explanation at work.

I viewed it as a defect, actually.

(My Mauser HSc auto-forwarded, too, but it was supposed to. )

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    My G29 and G30 both "auto-forwarded" pretty consistently if the mag was seated briskly; of course, in both cases a full mag weighed almost as much as the empty gun, so there's probably a Gee-Mister-Wizard inertia explanation at work. I viewed it as a defect, actually.
    I'm also in the "never can get the thing to auto-forward" group. Matter of fact, if my Glocks start auto-forwarding several times in a row, it probably means I need to replace the slide catch.

I've played around with trying different angles, different speeds, more/less force, etc---couldn't ever get it to happen when I wanted. On my Gen 2 Glock 19, it would happen every once in awhile, and come to think of it, my G21 (.45acp) would every once in awhile also. But never if I was actually trying to make it happen. In the case of my Gen 2 19, that is probably because I haven't replaced a single part in it (springs or anything) since I bought it in around '95, and shot the heck out of it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I've sold off all my M&P's and have standardized on the Gen 3 9mm Glock, and have not been able to induce this phenomenon in any of them.
    My Gen 3 (and 4) stuff won't do it at all, and I've shot my Gen 3 G19 almost as much as the Gen 2. (Though I have replaced a few parts in that one.)

pretty much any pistol I've ever shot will auto forward if I hit it hard enough on the reload, and I do hit pretty hard on the reload. However I learned my lesson many many years ago after making the statement "my Elite II does it every time I reload at slide lock" only to have it NOT at the next match. I think Todd put some sort of hex on me back then, that or it was just the whole "pride" thing..... Now I do my reloads expecting to need to hit the release, so when it happens I'm ready for it. (but the CZ's seem to do it pretty consistently.............)
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List