Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: How about a five-inch thread?

Small world. I lived in Lajitas for a few years, and worked for Far Flung as a river guide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Small world. I lived in Lajitas for a few years, and worked for Far Flung as a river guide.
    Did you live there when you could cross over to Lajitas Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you live there when you could cross over to Lajitas Mexico?
    You could wander across the river, yes. Not that there was very much to see back in the early 1980's. The leaky wood ferry at Boquillas was more popular with the touristas.

About 40-50 of us lived on the US side full-time.

A buddy had a sign on his porch for the "winter Texans". "Welcome to Texas. Now get the hell out." He was not with the tourism office or Chamber of Commerce. But he loved to watch Clay Henry, the beer-drinking goat at the Trading Post.

You'd get groceries from the Study Butte Store, and once a week we'd carpool into Alpine with ice chests. That was 120 miles - each way. If you got hurt bad, the DPS helicopter would fly you into Midland. It took about two hours for your body to arrive. Not bad-mouthing the DPS, just pointing out that it was a 250-mile ride each way. You were cautious, and smart people kept that in mind. John at Terlingua Medics was good, but he was not a trauma surgeon.

I lived in an old adobe house upstream from the Trading Post. I could hit a 3 iron from my front door, and the ball would land in Mexico.

I'm not a particularly good golfer, by the way.

I took folks on rafting trips through all three canyons, and backpacking trips all over the Park. I grew up in that part of the world, and understand the desert. Probably why the military sent me to jungles most of my enlistment.

Site Supporter
    You could wander across the river, yes. Not that there was very much to see back in the early 1980's. The leaky wood ferry at Boquillas was more popular with the touristas.

About 40-50 of us lived on the US side full-time.

A buddy had a sign on his porch for the "winter Texans". "Welcome to Texas. Now get the hell out." He was not with the tourism office or Chamber of Commerce. But he loved to watch Clay Henry, the beer-drinking goat at the Trading Post.

You'd get groceries from the Study Butte Store, and once a week we'd carpool into Alpine with ice chests. That was 120 miles - each way. If you got hurt bad, the DPS helicopter would fly you into Midland. It took about two hours for your body to arrive. Not bad-mouthing the DPS, just pointing out that it was a 250-mile ride each way. You were cautious, and smart people kept that in mind. John at Terlingua Medics was good, but he was not a trauma surgeon.

I lived in an old adobe house upstream from the Trading Post. I could hit a 3 iron from my front door, and the ball would land in Mexico.

I'm not a particularly good golfer, by the way.

I took folks on rafting trips through all three canyons, and backpacking trips all over the Park. I grew up in that part of the world, and understand the desert. Probably why the military sent me to jungles most of my enlistment.
    I love that part of Texas. LOVE IT. Wish I could have experienced it back in the day. Back in October I went to Ojinaga, but I bet it would have been more fun in the 80s.

Yes, Ojinaga was certainly rowdy back then.

The area has definitely changed. In some ways good, in some ways bad.

My ancestors settled there back in the 1930's. Some are still buried there.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    You'd get groceries from the Study Butte Store, and once a week we'd carpool into Alpine with ice chests.
    I need to go visit my friend again...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My empirical data is quite old, but I recall Bourbon, steaks and charcoal being valuable currency. I am sure your friends would welcome a visit.

Site Supporter
    Yes, Ojinaga was certainly rowdy back then.

The area has definitely changed. In some ways good, in some ways bad.

My ancestors settled there back in the 1930's. Some are still buried there.
    Was ojinaga safer back then ? I will visit now but I wouldn't go at night or to the clubs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I need to go visit my friend again...
    Is that Art?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Is that Art?
    Yeah.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List