Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a five-inch thread?

Just nabbed this at the gun show today. 625-3 model of 1989. I have a 629 that looks like this too but it has the infernal lock and transfer bar.

So this just arrived at the FFL from Frank Glenn. Haven't got to shoot it yet, but seeing that it weighs just shy of 90 pounds, I'm sure it'll be a soft shooter.

That came out great and I think you will be glad you went the route you did on caliber in the end.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I think so too. Thanks for the suggestion. Frank cut that front sight blank just right too.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I havent had my finger slip off the trigger, but it feels squirrely to me, just being slick, and I worried it could slip off. I cant say I have much experience with the smooth triggers, because I got rid of them as quickly as I could when I bought a gun with one on it.

I guess its personal preference.

BTW, I have a smooth stainless or hard chromed trigger (or whatever Smith does to triggers on stainless guns) I'd happily trade for a grooved carbon or stainless Smith trigger. I replaced the one in the gun as soon as I could locate one.
    It just goes to show how much personal preference plays here. I paid the smith who did the trigger job on my 642 to mirror-polish the trigger face as well. I can't stand grooved triggers on a DA or DA/SA gun, they eat my finger alive.

I've heard Miculek mention that he likes the standard narrow serrated trigger for his guns as well. To each his own, I suppose. I don't have enough experience to have a solid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Just nabbed this at the gun show today. 625-3 model of 1989. I have a 629 that looks like this too but it has the infernal lock and transfer bar.
    Transfer bar?

I don't think any Smiths have transfer bars.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    It just goes to show how much personal preference plays here. I paid the smith who did the trigger job on my 642 to mirror-polish the trigger face as well. I can't stand grooved triggers on a DA or DA/SA gun, they eat my finger alive.
    I've been thinking on this. It obviously bothers many people, but never has me, even when a kid. I have seen some edges that were sharp, I stone them off at the edges, both sides and front if theres any hint of sharpness. The grooves have never bothered me in the least, I like them. I occured to me that I started shooting bows a LOT about when I started shooting much, and I mostly shot bows bare handed (no tab or glove) a couple hours a day for quite a while. I also do carpentry and construction work, my hands may be tougher than average. The whole smooth trigger thing seems fairly new (geologically speaking). I dont recall any of the old timers like Keith, McGivern, Jordan, or others having the grooves polished off. I wonder if its that fewer people do hard hands on work in recent times?
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-27-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Transfer bar?

I don't think any Smiths have transfer bars.

I've been thinking on this. It obviously bothers many people, but never has me, even when a kid. I have seen some edges that were sharp, I stone them off at the edges, both sides and front if theres any hint of sharpness. The grooves have never bothered me in the least, I like them. I occured to me that I started shooting bows a LOT about when I started shooting much, and I mostly shot bows bare handed (no tab or glove) a couple hours a day for quite a while. I also do carpentry and construction work, my hands may be tougher than average. The whole smooth trigger thing seems fairly new (geologically speaking). I dont recall any of the old timers like Keith, McGivern, Jordan, or others having the grooves polished off. I wonder if its that fewer people do hard hands on work in recent times?
    I work with my hands for a living. I have callouses on my callouses and my hands usually are cut and scraped in at least a couple of spots. I can't stand serrated triggers.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I work with my hands for a living. I have callouses on my callouses and my hands usually are cut and scraped in at least a couple of spots. I can't stand serrated triggers.
    Yeah, funny how folks have different preferences. I even put them in my single action revolvers.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=464788949

544 wagon train on GB for $705. 2 hours left.

So tempted...

User Tag List