Thread: How about a five-inch thread?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    A trio....

5" 29 Classic DX
    5" 29-2 custom job
    5" 29 Classic, as seen above.

29-2

Very nice. Who cut the 29 custom ? I have a 6" 624 I was thinking of converting to 5". I have a 5" pre 27 and 627 and find it the most practical barrel length for an N frame.

Also what grips are on the 29 classic DX ? Herretts ?

SDM Fabricating cut down the 8&3/8 8ths" 29-2 to 5"s, and installed an FSB that accepts the DX/Weigand interchangeable front sights. Then they narrowed the target trigger and polished out the serrations. It's very smooth for DA shooting.

The DX grips were from a guy in south eastern Idaho, I ordered them 90% shaped, then finished the final shape before applying what's essentially a spar varnish to them. This finish was chosen over traditional finishes due to me using my guns in bad winter weather frequently.

In regards to Herretts, they are a local company and a few of my guns wear their Ropers, including a couple of 4" 29/629s. I tried the Jordan troopers, but traded them off as they were just too big for DA shooting. My next set will likely be a set of detective stocks from them. Very nice folks at Herretts.

The non DX Classic on the bottom wears a set of eagle classics, which are actually very nicely shaped grips and very fair price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That's some good shooting (and eating!) Beautiful hoglegs!
    Thanks wheeler,

Big bore handgunning is a long time pastime of mine and I love small game hunting with .44s, especially in the wintertime, after big game season closes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    SDM Fabricating cut down the 8&3/8 8ths" 29-2 to 5"s, and installed an FSB that accepts the DX/Weigand interchangeable front sights. Then they narrowed the target trigger and polished out the serrations. It's very smooth for DA shooting.

The DX grips were from a guy in south eastern Idaho, I ordered them 90% shaped, then finished the final shape before applying what's essentially a spar varnish to them. This finish was chosen over traditional finishes due to me using my guns in bad winter weather frequently.

In regards to Herretts, they are a local company and a few of my guns wear their Ropers, including a couple of 4" 29/629s. I tried the Jordan troopers, but traded them off as they were just too big for DA shooting. My next set will likely be a set of detective stocks from them. Very nice folks at Herretts.

The non DX Classic on the bottom wears a set of eagle classics, which are actually very nicely shaped grips and very fair price wise.
    Thanks. I have Herretts shooting stars on my M 18 and they are quite nice.

My 5" Pre-27 is my favorite revolver. I have a 6.5 inch M 624 and I'm looking for options / recommendations for having it cut to 5".
    If anyone else has experience with such a project please advise.

Some great pictures. I really like the 5" 27's, I had one long ago and miss it.

I have a 6 1/2" 24 barrel I want to have cut to 5" and fit to a 29. It will make a nice carry gun for the hills.

Have some pics of a 1926 3rd hand ejector 44 spl, but with the old computer I'm stuck using for now, I cant get into photobucket.

I'm curious, whats the advantage supposed to be with smooth triggers on DA revolvers? I never cared for them and have swapped out several smooths for grooved.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-11-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Some great pictures. I really like the 5" 27's, I had one long ago and miss it.

I have a 6 1/2" 24 barrel I want to have cut to 5" and fit to a 29. It will make a nice carry gun for the hills.

Have some pics of a 1926 3rd hand ejector 44 spl, but with the old computer I'm stuck using for now, I cant get into photobucket.

I'm curious, whats the advantage supposed to be with smooth triggers on DA revolvers? I never cared for them and have swapped out several smooths for grooved.
    In my experience and preference, the smooth triggers are much, much more pleasant on the trigger finger when shooting double action, especially when going through a high round count in a relatively short period of time, for instance 200 rounds in a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    In my experience and preference, the smooth triggers are much, much more pleasant on the trigger finger when shooting double action, especially when going through a high round count in a relatively short period of time, for instance 200 rounds in a match.
    Interesting. I guess it never bothered me in that way. It wasnt unusual to shoot 500-1000 rds through the K-22 each time I'd take it out as a kid and later. The smooth ones have felt slick and unsecure to me if my hands were sweaty, and I worried theyd be really slick if the hands were bloody. I've cleaned up sharp edges on them, but like the face crisply grooved.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-11-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Interesting. I guess it never bothered me in that way. It wasnt unusual to shoot 500-1000 rds through the K-22 each time I'd take it out as a kid and later. The smooth ones have felt slick and unsecure to me if my hands were sweaty, and I worried theyd be really slick if the hands were bloody. I've cleaned up sharp edges on them, but like the face crisply grooved.
    I've never had an issue with my finger slipping off the trigger with my hands being sweaty, which is a fairly common occurance here in Georgia. :-). The sweaty hands issue is why I gave up on smooth grips for most all of my carry guns, the one exception being a 3" model 30-1 with a set of smooth boot grips.

I havent had my finger slip off the trigger, but it feels squirrely to me, just being slick, and I worried it could slip off. I cant say I have much experience with the smooth triggers, because I got rid of them as quickly as I could when I bought a gun with one on it.

I guess its personal preference.

BTW, I have a smooth stainless or hard chromed trigger (or whatever Smith does to triggers on stainless guns) I'd happily trade for a grooved carbon or stainless Smith trigger. I replaced the one in the gun as soon as I could locate one.

Malamute,

I've long considered the exact same project, taking a 24/624 barrel, cutting to 5"s and putting it on a 29.

Essentially you'd end up with a 5" mountain gun. Sounds slick as snake snot to me.

User Tag List