Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester NATO round differences?

Winchester NATO round differences?

I noticed Winchester has two 124 grain NATO rounds. One is a white box and black lettering QR318, and the other is Law Enforcement Ranger RA9124N.

Anyone know the difference betwen these two rounds?

Is one better than the other?

Q4318 and RA9124N are the same ammo, packaged differently.

True "NATO" 9mm rounds are packaged super-hot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Where would one purchase real NATO ammo?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I recently shot 800 rounds of M882 through my Gen3 19, it felt the same as my Ranger NATO ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    This is real nato ammo. It's repackaged m882 9mm, the identical cartridge issued to the military. The aforementioned winchester loads are it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Yeah, it seems to all shoot pretty much the same to me. Even the Frange which is supposed to be a lighter load feels the same. The only time I notice a difference is when I go to the +P+ HP's, which I am pretty sure are not NATO.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Yeah, it seems to all shoot pretty much the same to me. Even the Frange which is supposed to be a lighter load feels the same. The only time I notice a difference is when I go to the +P+ HP's, which I am pretty sure are not NATO.
    Correct. I believe NATO specs are 36500psi with a bullet weight range from 113gr to 124gr.

As far as I know, M882 is NATO spec but that doesn't mean all NATO spec rounds are the same as M882, with the biggest variation being bullet weight. That's a good tidbit to know that Winchester's commercially available NATO loads are actually repackaged M882.

For what it's worth, I've always found issued M882 to be kinda dirty from my experience shooting it through M9's at work and my own personal weapon...comparable to PMC or MFS levels of dirty. I wouldn't purchase it when I could get Fiocchi, RWS, Speer Lawman or some other clean yet stout load.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    To answer your question, I've purchased several cases of Winchester Q4318 from Ammo To Go and LTD Ammo Sales.

They are both fine companies and Google will bring them up easily.

I've found the NATO ammo to be clean and pretty peppy. My HK's love it at the range.
    Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join The NRA

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less". General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Correct. I believe NATO specs are 36500psi with a bullet weight range from 113gr to 124gr.
    NATO, the US military, and SAAMI don't always use the same protocols when measuring ammo. SAAMI measures pressure at mid case, and the miltary has measured at the case mouth, where pressures can be 8,000 - 10,000 psi lower.

NATO 124/9 I've fired from various souces over the yrs through M9/M11s has ranged from 1100 - 1275 fps.
    Deja vu DVC: In archery we have three goals; to shoot accurately, to shoot powerfully, to shoot rapidly.
    - De Re Strategica of Syrianus Magister @525AD

User Tag List