Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is having a hammer for Appendix carry worth changing platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

FWIW, I am currently qual'd on Glocks and M&P's and have no issue carrying either of them AIWB...
    Doc,

Did the fact that both those guns are striker fired ever make you reconsider carrying them appendix or switching to another gun to carry AIWB?

Was there ever a mental element you had to get over to be comfortable carrying these style guns in that position?

I'll be a dissenting voice and say I think you may be too wrapped up in appendix carry. IMHO, I see a lot of people getting far too wrapped around the axle regarding AIWB carry. I'm not claiming you're one of them as your question is perfectly reasonable, but I think a lot of folks think it's the only way the cool kids carry these days and gravitate towards it for that reason. Personally, I prefer to have my weapon in the same place whether on or off duty, so I've never given AIWB serious thought. One thing I wouldn't do is compromise on my weapon in order to meet a specific carry method. If anything I think it should be the other way around.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'll be a dissenting voice and say I think you may be too wrapped up in appendix carry. IMHO, I see a lot of people getting far too wrapped around the axle regarding AIWB carry. I'm not claiming you're one of them as your question is perfectly reasonable, but I think a lot of folks think it's the only way the cool kids carry these days and gravitate towards it for that reason. Personally, I prefer to have my weapon in the same place whether on or off duty, so I've never given AIWB serious thought. One thing I wouldn't do is compromise on my weapon in order to meet a specific carry method. If anything I think it should be the other way around.
    Good angle.

I carry appendix because traditional IWB would allow my pistol to be discovered relatively easily, and that would lead to some unpleasant consequences...consequences I don't need.

Were I not regularly in an environment that requires absolute concealment, I'm not sure I would carry AIWB.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

We are diminished
    ... but I think a lot of folks think it's the only way the cool kids carry these days and gravitate towards it for that reason.
    Some may. Others certainly do it for reasons other than being cool. It's a method that has certain advantages and certain disadvantages just like any other option. It's possible that the popularity of AIWB has something to do with the benefits experienced shooters identify with that particular carry method and not just their desire to look cool. Folks are hopefully smart enough to compare and come to a rational decision based on their needs and preferences.

Agreed.

I mostly carry in the appendix position because my daily driver's seat bolsters pinch a bit too much to allow me to carry at the 3-4 o'clock position. When I drive my wife's truck, i bring out the VMIIs and such

FWIW: I carry a G19 and a 4" 1911 AIWB and have never been too worried about being "unsafe". When holstering the weapon, your either 110% dedicated to the moment, or you shouldnt be holstering. Otherwise, the gun can ride there all day without worry.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Some may. Others certainly do it for reasons other than being cool. It's a method that has certain advantages and certain disadvantages just like any other option. It's possible that the popularity of AIWB has something to do with the benefits experienced shooters identify with that particular carry method and not just their desire to look cool. Folks are hopefully smart enough to compare and come to a rational decision based on their needs and preferences.
    I don't disagree with any of that, nor am I down on appendix carry. However, I'm offering an additional perspective because I see many people who seem overly determined to make AIWB carry work for them when there may be good reasons why it doesn't.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by DGI View Post

FWIW: I carry a G19 and a 4" 1911 AIWB and have never been too worried about being "unsafe". When holstering the weapon, your either 110% dedicated to the moment, or you shouldnt be holstering. Otherwise, the gun can ride there all day without worry.
    Precisely. If I'm understanding the concern folks have with AIWB, it's that something getting into the holster can activate the trigger and with Glock style weapons there's no mechanical device or technique that will overcome this right? I don't carry appendix but I've seen plenty of t-shirts work their way into hip mounted holsters.

I agree with DGI. If I'm reholstering my weapon it's because there is no longer a threat. In my mind that means I can take my time, look the gun in and ensure it's clear. If I carried appendix I might even incorporate a support hand sweep in advance of holstering as an extra precaution. Even if I need to go render aid to a fellow LEO or citizen... We are all better served by me taking the time to avoid shooting off my junk or destroying my femoral artery.

Some friends and I have seen some of our firearms instructors lately correct people for looking the gun into the holster on the premise that we must keep our eyes on the threat. We always point out that if there was still a threat we wouldn't be holstering.

Appendix carry has a high risk of a bad outcome, if there is a ND while drawing or holstering. That is regardless of platform.

As someone who carries striker and hammer pistols, there is interesting psychology at play. Many people who carry a hammer gun feel it safe for appendix carry, and a striker is not. The more they carry a hammer, the safer they feel, and the more they dislike a striker. Often striker folks feel unsafe initially, but progressively more safe as they carry a striker more.

Most folks carrying appendix are particularly concerned about reholstering. What I find interesting, is looking at ND reports from Front Sight, people routinely shoot themselves drawing and reholstering. They do this with striker, TDA and 1911 pistols. (I don't recall LEM accidents, but as a general rule the only people carrying LEM are on PF, and PF members wouldn't be caught dead at Front Sight.)

I personally try to minimize live fire practice from appendix with hammer and striker pistols. I do appendix drawing practice, dry fire. I minimize administrative handling of the pistol when carrying appendix. I strive to load or check the pistol, place it in my holster, then place the pistol and holster on my belt. When reholstering appendix, I tilt my body so the muzzle doesn't cover my anatomy. I also fire my first shot with a Glock, by not prepping the trigger during my extension, but instead pressing the whole trigger travel after extending the pistol.

I think appendix has many comfort and concealment benefits. Each person needs to figure out whether those benefits are worth the positional risk of appendix, and how they will manage that risk if they use appendix carry.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Things to consider are angling the holster AWAY from critical anatomic parts when re-holstering, as well as simply leaving the pistol in the holster when taking it on and off.
    This is sound info. My holster IS my safety. Buy a holster that is easy on easy of, and you eliminate most AIWB "issues". This is what I use for example.....

I think a lot of folks think it's the only way the cool kids carry these days and gravitate towards it for that reason. .
    Exactly.

User Tag List