Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: The Obligatory 4" Revolver Picture Thread

"Thats what she said"

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    Tapered 4" barrel is distinctly lighter than the HB the same length. Tapered barrel holsters more smoothly and surely by feel. Greater height-over-barrel of the front sight lends itself to "StressPoint Index"/"shooting out of the notch." Accuracy pretty much the same as HB. Slightly more muzzle rise but you really have to shoot HB and pencil barrel side by side to perceive any real difference.
    Thank you sir. I didn't mean to misrepresent your work, but I suppose my recollection of the better StressPoint Index and better holstering with no loss in accuracy meant "more betterer" in my memory. BTW I've been reading your articles in one form or another for well over 30 (maybe 40) years? Learned a lot from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Thank you sir. I didn't mean to misrepresent your work, but I suppose my recollection of the better StressPoint Index and better holstering with no loss in accuracy meant "more betterer" in my memory. BTW I've been reading your articles in one form or another for well over 30 (maybe 40) years? Learned a lot from you.
    No problem. No misquote. Thanks for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Lots of character on that Model 10. Pencil barrels are the best.
    I'll have to give credit to a Malaysian police service for most of the character. I have added a few of my own dings in there and woken up with my gear covered in dew enough to rough up more finish but it pales in comparison.

And I like the pencil barrels to maximize the light handling over, say, a Combat Masterpiece and also for slicker reholstering. Being honest, I think they look nicer, too. Wife and kids all prefer the heavy barreled model 10.

I just picked this up locally for 450, along with a bunch of other stuff from the same seller cleaning out stock from a old gunshop. S&W 66-1

Name:  20220228_005227.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  71.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

My $450 gun's.com m65-5

Name:  IMG_20220227_111506.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  71.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Picked up this minty Trooper MkIII in Bright Nickel at my local Bass Pro Shop today.

Got home and promptly went to work disassembling it to clean out the dried oil, dust, etc. that looked like it had been in there since @ the mid-80's.

While reinstalling the trigger spring I managed to break the frame pin...

I wasn't prying against the pin or reefing on it...I was using a small punch to work the short tail of the spring back into the frame. Not sure how fatal of a wound this is...been searching for a pin on various sites but so far have only been able to find trigger pins for this generation Colts. And then to find someone capable (not me, of course) of pressing them out/in.

FML

Site Supporter
    Posted an RFI on a couple of revolver-centric forums and got some good info.

Was turned onto this site for parts and found a trigger spring pin in stock (and in bright nickel no less!).

https://www.schludershots.com/gun-pa...i-j-frame.html

Got it ordered on and on the way. Was also given a couple of recommendations on shops to perform the surgery. I sent emails with info/pics, so hopefully I'll hear back soon as to whether they can fix the damage.

Meanwhile I put 'er back together to at least have a double-action, single-shot capable pistol in the meantime.

Last edited by kwb377; 04-16-2022 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    Posted an RFI on a couple of revolver-centric forums and got some good info.

Was turned onto this site for parts and found a trigger spring pin in stock (and in bright nickel no less!).

https://www.schludershots.com/gun-pa...i-j-frame.html

Got it ordered on and on the way. Was also given a couple of recommendations on shops to perform the surgery. I sent emails with info/pics, so hopefully I'll hear back soon as to whether they can fix the damage.

Meanwhile I put 'er back together to at least have a double-action, single-shot capable pistol in the meantime.

I’ve always liked the workman grade Colts - very nice! Hopefully the repair will be painless.

I’m still casually looking for the uncommon Colt I always wanted - a 4” last model Police Positive with the shrouded ejector rod.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve always liked the workman grade Colts - very nice! Hopefully the repair will be painless.

I’m still casually looking for the uncommon Colt I always wanted - a 4” last model Police Positive with the shrouded ejector rod.
    Last summer I came across a 6" Colt Official Police in .22lr. All original, and unmolested.
    The guy wanted $550 for it, I dickered him down to $500 even.
    Built in 1930, with only the slightest muzzle wear, well, the gun is magical.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List