Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: The Obligatory 4" Revolver Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am seriously debating buying an old PPC gun like the one you speak of. It would serve no "useful" purpose, but would be a heck of a lot of fun.
    I shot highpower and bullseye in high school, and my faculty adviser recruited me to shoot PPC with his group after I graduated. The shooters were about 75% LE, but they allowed enthusiastic civs to shoot, too. I couldn’t afford much, so I bought another competitor’s old backup guns. It was the best thing I could have ever done - it was silly accurate with WCs and had a great trigger. I’d love to recreate it, but I’ve had zero luck finding a Bomar cover-up rib in a few years of casual looking.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Add a red dot and you have something quite fun.
    Heresy! Burn the witch!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’d love to recreate it, but I’ve had zero luck finding a Bomar cover-up rib in a few years of casual looking.

Check your PM's.

Thanks for all the likes. As to the engraving, don't know. Bought the gun from a gentleman who said he had the weapon for a long time, but didn't know who did the engraving on the Smith. He added the Ivories in the 1970s. Usually show guns like that one doesn't shoot so well, but this one single action is "dead nuts" accurate. It's accurate DA but it is a bit stiff and the sideplate has never been removed for action work. I will shoot the DA into smoothness.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 05-27-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Thanks for all the likes. As to the engraving, don't know. Bought the gun from a gentleman who said he had the weapon for a long time, but didn't know who did the engraving on the Smith. He added the Ivories in the 1970s. Usually show guns like that one doesn't shoot so well, but this one single action is "dead nuts" accurate. It's accurate DA but it is a bit stiff and the sideplate has never been removed for action work. I will shoot the DA into smoothness.
    I’m sure the prior owner had the gun a long time but 24-3 and 624 were not produced until the 1980’s, largely as a result of a letter writing campaign by fans of the .44 special, foremost among them, the late Charles “Skeeter” Skelton.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-27-2018 at 11:56 PM.

I am seriously debating buying an old PPC gun like the one you speak of. It would serve no "useful" purpose, but would be a heck of a lot of fun.
    Occasionally you run across one of these built on a Model 13, so it's a 357 Magnum. It's hard to imagine a better choice for hunting deer in the brush, even better if the previous owner went to a 6" barrel and kept the factory cylinder.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 05-28-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Sure wish I had kept my Ken Eversull built bull gun. I have a history of doing stupid stuff when it comes to selling guns I’m not using at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Sure wish I had kept my Ken Eversull built bull gun. I have a history of doing stupid stuff when it comes to selling guns I’m not using at the moment.
    I can definitely relate to that feeling myself.

I would enjoy an opportunity to pick your brain about such pistols. I'm going to start a new thread to avoid derailing this one.

Excuse the 4 5/8" gun.
    The Rugers have a lot of miles on them. Backpacking, canoeing, hunting, etc.
    The Smith is new but will see a lot of trails.
    Attachment 27643
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-01-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Nice! What do they look like from the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List