Thread: Webley Government Revolvers

Webley Government Revolvers

"WG"s in my collectiom 1886-1898s

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lewwallace View Post
    "WG"s in my collectiom 1886-1898s

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Love love love the bird's head grip side of this pic!
    Can you run down the particulars of each of these?

I once owned a 6" Bbl Mk IV with fine gutta-percha bird's head grips that I never did get to fire, and I do regret selling it.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I had one years ago. I purchased it when I was 16 from a catalog. My dad just about had a heart attack when I showed it to him. All he said was don't shoot around here. Go down to the creek bed for that. If I hear about you shooting it around here I'll cut it up. I suppose he meant with a torch. We had many rifles and shotguns but no revolvers. Mostly just meat hunters. I think I traded it for a .22 rifle soon after I bought it because I couldn't afford the ammo.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Love love love the bird's head grip side of this pic!
    Can you run down the particulars of each of these?

I once owned a 6" Bbl Mk IV with fine gutta-percha bird's head grips that I never did get to fire, and I do regret selling it.
    The bottom BH is a conundrum, a transitional WG bearing a No.4 upper assembly, 1885(?).only 3 are known. Next up is a 1886 model w/church steeple fluted cylinder. Above is an Army marked model of 1892. Top is a 1893 Army that has owner marked grip. All in 455/476 except the 1st two.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Folks wil notice that some are advertised as being chambered for .45 ACP. Someone way back when figured out that if you shave down the back of the cylinder you can fire .45acp in moon clips. Excpet .45acp is more powerful than .455 Webly ammo and is not safe to shoot. Hopefully you'll just break the gun since the break top action isn't the stongest. You can handload .45acp down to .455 levels or mod a moon clip to work with the .455 ammo.

A friend of mine bought one that he thought was unmodified but tunred out that if had been shaved. Eventually he was able to find some parts and get it converted back to .455 but it shaves bullets so now he's gotta find another smith that can properly time the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Folks wil notice that some are advertised as being chambered for .45 ACP. Someone way back when figured out that if you shave down the back of the cylinder you can fire .45acp in moon clips. Excpet .45acp is more powerful than .455 Webly ammo and is not safe to shoot. Hopefully you'll just break the gun since the break top action isn't the stongest. You can handload .45acp down to .455 levels or mod a moon clip to work with the .455 ammo.

A friend of mine bought one that he thought was unmodified but tunred out that if had been shaved. Eventually he was able to find some parts and get it converted back to .455 but it shaves bullets so now he's gotta find another smith that can properly time the gun.
    Good info there. Mine was a 38 S&W. It was shipped with a box of ammo. I think mail order went away in 1968 after JFK was assasinated.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List