Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GLOCK front sight Jump

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I just tried various grip "strengths" on one of my G17s (the one that moves a lot when you pull the trigger). No apparent change.

It seems pretty clear to me that the FPB extension on the trigger bar is what is causing the slide to move. How, exactly, will changing one's grip mitigate that?

You are talking about an entirely different root cause than I am, so in no way can I answer your question. By your statement, you're implying the firing pin block tab on the trigger bar is contacting the slide, is this correct? I fail to see how the two making contact post trigger break, could cause the sight/slide movement described by the OP.

Then again, I learn something new here everyday. Looking forward to your response.

ETA: To clarify my grip statement, I'm talking about movement found in light guns with heavy triggers and/or excessive overtravel. Good example: Keeping a 15 ounce J-Frame steady after pulling the factory 12lbs trigger takes strength and a proper grip. No amount of grip strength will stop movement caused by mechanical interference.
    Last edited by StraitR; 12-07-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Well, after some interesting "discussions" with Glock service, I just got a shipping label. Interestingly, now that I've got it back in all stock configuration (dot connector, Gen4 trigger bar, etc) the slide movement is MUCH more noticeable, but now the back of the slide is jumping up when the striker releases (as opposed to falling).

Hopefully they'll figure it out, and glad I have multiple Glocks in the safe so I can keep on keepin' on - even if the replacement is my lightly used G23...

More to follow

I'm very interested to hear what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It's also a linear byproduct of increasingly heavy triggers. The more force required to break the shot translates into more force transferred into the pistol when the trigger reaches the end of its travel.

ETA: Most, and quite often all, of this movement can be mitigated through grip. I just prefer less over travel.
    Sorry for the delay; forgot about this one.

You wrote that I was talking about another "root cause". Since we were discussing slide movement during trigger actuation, I assumed that was what YOU were talking about in the above quote. Yes, I'm talking about the trigger bar- actually, the part of the trigger bar that bears against the FPB- pressing upward on the FPB and/or the bottom of the slide and actually moving the slide upward to a degree.

Hence my question, how does one "mitigate it through grip"? Or are you talking about something else entirely?

How tight is the barrel lockup in barrel to locking block fitment? When you press down on the hood of the barrel is there a lot of movement in relation to your other Glocks?

With the Glock we are pretty much going from half cock with a reset trigger to full cock as we pull trigger until it releases. Most Glocks will have some type of noticeable movement when firing after the "twang" of the release of the striker. I have found that Glocks with a tighter lock up exhibit less movement which would equate to tighter fitment tolerances. You can try swapping barrels and / or slides or the complete upper assembly around and see if this shows any differences in relation to frame fitment and / or lockup. If you do see a difference it will probably be a result of varying tolerances between parts.

As you are noticing small parts combos and their fitment also produce varying results.

I will add that talking to a Glock rep on the phone will not do much. More than likely they will have no clue about the issues we are discussing here. The general rule is if they hit enough check blocks mail it in. Glock guts the pistols small parts replaces them, test fires and sends it back. You would need a real savvy technician at the factory who would #1 diagnose this or even notice it and #2 feel that it is something that needs fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    How tight is the barrel lockup in barrel to locking block fitment? When you press down on the hood of the barrel is there a lot of movement in relation to your other Glocks?

With the Glock we are pretty much going from half cock with a reset trigger to full cock as we pull trigger until it releases. Most Glocks will have some type of noticeable movement when firing after the "twang" of the release of the striker. I have found that Glocks with a tighter lock up exhibit less movement which would equate to tighter fitment tolerances. You can try swapping barrels and / or slides or the complete upper assembly around and see if this shows any differences in relation to frame fitment and / or lockup. If you do see a difference it will probably be a result of varying tolerances between parts.

As you are noticing small parts combos and their fitment also produce varying results.

I will add that talking to a Glock rep on the phone will not do much. More than likely they will have no clue about the issues we are discussing here. The general rule is if they hit enough check blocks mail it in. Glock guts the pistols small parts replaces them, test fires and sends it back. You would need a real savvy technician at the factory who would #1 diagnose this or even notice it and #2 feel that it is something that needs fixing.
    With that said, a match barrel would be the answer?

Sent from a SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    With that said, a match barrel would be the answer?
    KKM "drop in" barrel didn't help accuracy, and led to plenty of reliability issues that didn't exist before its installation or after it was removed...

Does the pistol exhibit the same problem with a magazine inserted? I'd guess there's less room for vertical slide movement with the follower/top round in the magazine pushing up against the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicToaster View Post
    Does the pistol exhibit the same problem with a magazine inserted? I'd guess there's less room for vertical slide movement with the follower/top round in the magazine pushing up against the slide.
    Having a magazine loaded with snap caps reduces the amount of movement in the slide, but doesn't stop the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Surf - barrel fit is "looser" on this G19 than any of my other pistols, but didn't seem radical. Concur on the thought that it will likely take several conversations with Glock to get this addressed, but, they know me at this point (I was one of the prominent folks with BTF and erratic ejection issues early in 2010, so I've had several face-to-face conversations with senior folks at Glock by this point...) Hope springs eternal.

Regards and stay safe!

Kevin

User Tag List