Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Sevens Quark QTA - Initial Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    1 -AA battery light caught my eye. ARMYTEK A1 XM L2 w/ TIR optics. The specs look good also. price around 55 bucks.

Since I know nothing about flashlights other than using them I thought I would ask your opinion?
    Rich, it looks like a rugged light that gets good reviews. The reverse-clicky with no momentary operation is a disadvantage IMO, though. Here are a few links I found;

http://www.armytek.com/products/flas...-a1-xm-l2.html

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...or-2xAA-Review

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/22952

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Rich, it looks like a rugged light that gets good reviews. The reverse-clicky with no momentary operation is a disadvantage IMO, though. Here are a few links I found;

http://www.armytek.com/products/flas...-a1-xm-l2.html

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...or-2xAA-Review

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/22952
    Thanks!

QTA Update

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I ordered a few new parts for my Quark QTA;

1. One QT2L-X Burst Mode head, which will provide up to 780 lumens for short bursts
    2. A pair of AA-sized IMR 14500 Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries (only one needed at a time)
    3. A Xtar VP-2 charger

I’ve been carrying the QTA everywhere, all the time since I started this thread and it has worked out very well. With the deep carry clip and the DIY finger lanyard, it’s easy to carry and quick to get into action. For me, the UI and form factor of this light are perfect for my EDC needs.

The stock QTA powered with the 14505 lithium 3.0 volt primary battery is excellent as is (and probably more than adequate for most users), but I was interested to see how much of an improvement the new burst-mode head would make. I’ve been using the new setup for about a week now and I can report that where the stock QTA is excellent, this setup is incredible in terms of light output for an AA-size flashlight. It’s really something you need to experience first-hand, beam shot photos do not do it justice.

Quark QTA shown with QT2L-X Burst Mode head and AW 14500 IMR battery. Heads are easy to switch making this a versatile combination.
    Also shown is the DIY finger lanyard with break-away connector so if someone gains control of the flashlight, they can’t tourniquet-your-finger-off.

Technical Considerations

The QT2L-X Burst Mode head is designed for multiple cell operation and will work from 3 to 9 volts with full burst mode. This head is normally used with two CR123a cells. To get the head to work with one cell, a 3.7 volt Li-ion rechargeable cell is required. Another technical hurdle is that in burst mode, the head draws nearly 2 amps, which is beyond what a typical AA-sized protected Li-ion rechargeable cell will deliver, so an IMR high-current type Li-ion cell is required.

Due to the power requirements of this head, IMR 14500 cells are the only AA format cells that will provide the juice required to fully power the head. A single AA alkaline battery will not activate the QT2L-X head at all, not even in a low setting.

Light configured as I now carry it with QT2L-X head powered by 14500 IMR battery.

Beam Pattern

The QT2L-X head uses the larger, higher current capacity Cree XM-L2 emitter instead of the Cree XP-G2 emitter found in the QTA head. A byproduct of using a larger emitter in the same size head/reflector is that the angle of the beam is wider, meaning that the QT2L-X head casts a wider, more “floody” beam. Since the lumens are spread out over a larger area, this would usually mean the wider beam does not have as much “throw” or reach as the narrow beam. However, due to the huge increase in absolute lumen output, the QT2L-X head in burst mode easily outperforms the QTA head in every way.

QTA head with Cree XP-G2 emitter on the left, QT2L-X Burst Mode head with Cree XM-L2 emitter on the right.

Run Time

Along with losing the ability to use any AA cell, run time of this setup is limited. As you can see in the graph below, in continuous use the light will start in burst mode and then taper down and settle at about 420 lumens after a few minutes and hold that output for about another 25 minutes until the IMR 14500 cell is depleted.

The duration of Burst mode is regulated by a timer circuit function so by simply turning the light off and then back on, the timer is reset and you can stay in burst mode. However, with all of that amperage flowing through a small, low-mass head it gets hot very quickly and risks damage to the head if you were to hold it in burst mode for an extended period of time. Even after just 10 seconds in burst mode, the head gets warm.

With burst mode programmed for the head tightened to the body, I have the medium setting programmed for when the head is loosened. Medium mode on the QT2L-X head is 55 lumens, which in combination with the very wide beam pattern is really a very usable amount of light. In fact, I find this setting perfect for about 95% of my use of the light. On the single IMR 14500 cell, there is nearly four hours of continuous run time on the medium setting.

Use and Performance

I do not believe that I can over emphasize the unbelievable amount of light this set up produces in burst mode. In fact, in a side-by-side comparison with my 600-lumen Surefire Peacekeeper, the QT2L-X appears brighter over a larger area for the first 30 seconds in burst mode. Of course, the Peacekeeper can hold its output much longer and has a narrower, warmer beam compared to the QT2L-X.

Size comparison of Quark QTA and Surefire Peacekeeper (shown with DarkSucks.com titanium clip).

In practical use, I use burst mode just that way – in short 3-5 second bursts to check out the surroundings and dark corners. Used this way, it is extremely effective and switching down to the medium setting is perfect for walking down a dark street and being able adequately light objects out to pistol-fighting distances. In terms of using the QT2L-X as a self-defense weapon, I can’t even imagine what it would be like to get a face full of burst mode at close range.

Conclusions

The stock QTA, which is rated at 130 lumens maximum with a standard AA alkaline or 246 lumens maximum with a 14500 rechargeable Li-ion or a TI 14505 primary cell, has so far proven to be a very portable, pocketable and effective EDC light. Though it will be some time before I can attest to its durability, it has so far not disappointed. Combined with its ability to use any AA battery, from common AA alkaline to specialty batteries such as the TI 14505 3.0 volt primary cell or rechargeable 14500 Li-ion cells, there will never be an issue with keeping the QTA powered.

For those looking for a palm-sized nuclear reaction and can live with short run time, specialty batteries and regular battery recharging, the QT2L-X Burst Mode head in combination with an IMR 14500 rechargeable cell is a true “hot rod” EDC light. At least for me, an EDC light is not intended for extended use/long periods of time. When I expect that I will need light for extended use, something like the SF Peacekeeper goes in a pocket and the QTA becomes the backup. I also keep a long-run-time Surefire 6PX Pro in the car for emergency use, which can be called upon to serve as the primary light if the QTA is all I had in my pocket when I left the house.

Left to right: Quark QTA, Quark QT2L-X with Burst Mode complete flashlight, Surefire Peacekeeper. The complete QT2L-X flashlight is an easy way to burst mode performance,
    using two CR123a lithium primary batteries. It also offers three times the run time of the modified QTA though in a larger package.

We are fortunate to now have so many great lights from so many manufacturers to consider for EDC use, and I have to say that the Foursevens Quark QTA is most certainly one of them.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-28-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Xtar VP-2 charger
    To save some cash: Xtar VP2, register first, then use Coupon: XtarSQ = $26.79 before shipping.

Wish I could find a QTA for sale. Called environmentalled, they're out. Foursevens is out of stock. None in stock on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    To save some cash: Xtar VP2, register first, then use Coupon: XtarSQ = $26.79 before shipping.

Wish I could find a QTA for sale. Called environmentalled, they're out. Foursevens is out of stock. None in stock on Amazon.
    If you buy a 2x AA quark I will trade you my QTA body for the 2x AA body.

Edit, just found this:

http://goinggear.com/foursevens-quar...lashlight.html

Going Gear is a great company to work with. Trade offer still stands, but there's your QTA in stock.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    If you buy a 2x AA quark I will trade you my QTA body for the 2x AA body.

Edit, just found this:

http://goinggear.com/foursevens-quar...lashlight.html

Going Gear is a great company to work with. Trade offer still stands, but there's your QTA in stock.
    Thanks. I ordered from going gear w/free shipping.

DonW, I just replied to your PM;

The AW IMR 14500 LiMN worked fine in my stock QTA. The QTA head is rated for .9 to 4.2 volts and the battery will come off the charger at 4.2 volts maximum. For a stock QTA, the protected AW 14500 cell might be a better choice, though.

Yes, modes can be switched without having to turn off the light.

Good luck, let me know what you think of the light!

DonW, I just replied to your PM;

The AW IMR 14500 LiMN worked fine in my stock QTA. The QTA head is rated for .9 to 4.2 volts and the battery will come off the charger at 4.2 volts maximum. For a stock QTA, the protected AW 14500 cell might be a better choice, though.

Yes, modes can be switched without having to turn off the light.

Good luck, let me know what you think of the light!
    Got your pm - I'll reply here:

I got my QTA yesterday and it exudes quality. This morning I inserted a eneloop and programmed the tightened mode to moonlight, .2 lumens, and quickly saw the preflash (ugh). Tried it several times and there is no discharge, like I had red - preflash (pf) is constant. I didn't anticipate the pf. For those who don't know what preflash is, it's a quick momentary flash of a higher lumen when you turn on a low setting - in this case the .2 moonlight.

So, I need an XML led head, and ordered the Quark Tactical QT2L-X Head with Burst Mode, and I'm getting your recommended AW 14500 protected cells, and an Xtar VP2. ...

So, I need an XML led head, and ordered the Quark Tactical QT2L-X Head with Burst Mode, and I'm getting your recommended AW 14500 protected cells, and an Xtar VP2. ...
    You'll like it. I set mine for burst tightened and medium (55 lumens) loosened, and have left it that way. The circuitry on the burst mode head is different: with the light turned on, switching from burst to medium is a "soft" transition with no pre-flash. You'll see what I mean when you try it. FWIW, the pre-flash didn't bother me. At least with mine, if it was left off for a few minutes it didn't occur.

BTW, you should use a high-current IMR cell for this application, this one has worked fine for me - http://www.lighthound.com/AW-IMR-145...ry_p_3644.html

...This morning I inserted a eneloop and programmed the tightened mode to moonlight, .2 lumens, and quickly saw the preflash (ugh). Tried it several times and there is no discharge, like I had red - preflash (pf) is constant. I didn't anticipate the pf...
    I noticed the same thing so instead of ordering a new head (which happen to be back ordered anyways), I just bought a QT2L-X and switched the heads. I only use high and medium on the dual cell. Now I have a high lumen/short runtime light and a medium lumen/long runtime light. I also went with the protected AW 14500 cells (and protected AW 17670s for the dual cell) and VP2 charger.

However, I took the low ride clip back off the single cell because it torqued the light in an awkward way causing the head to deliver an annoying poking sensation.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List