Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Sevens Quark QTA - Initial Impressions

Guys I've been using Quarks now for about 5 years and you're not gonna' find a better light for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    My requirements are similar to yours and I have been happy with a couple Quark lights over the last two years as well.

The Quarks are built well with good clips, something that is overlooked often even by top brands. All in all, I can't think of anything else I would want in an EDC light that the Quark line doesn't provide. It's one of those rare products that continues to exceed my expectations.

Same here. I have been carrying a Quark for about four years or so now. I have five different ones scattered between myself and my family. Every time I see a new cool light that I think will be "the one", I always end up coming back to the Quark for it's combination of features, durability, and price.

+1 to all those that have said Quarks are great. I've got the QTL (CR123 version of the light reviewed here, the only other major difference being that the clip is reversed vs this one; when clipped to a pocket, it carries output end up, and not quite as deeply), and I've been using it daily and loving it for about 6 or 7 months now. For my use (a few minutes a day on the setting one down from max brightness), I tend to get about 2 months out of a charge using RCR123a batteries. The only "gripe" I might have is that the anodizing on the clip is starting to look pretty worn from banging into stuff while clipped to my pocket, but it's a tool, not a display piece, so that really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I'm unsure reading the manufacturer's description - can this be configured for single-mode activation (always clicks on to highest)?
    There are five or six modes available, and the user programs them into memory. Only two modes are accessible once programmed, and they are selected by the bezel tightness.

For instance, I have "high" programmed when the bezel is tight, and "medium" for when the bezel is loosened 1/8 turn. You then decide how to carry it by default.

I HATE lights with tailcap mode changes and I hate light that get you lost in modes, make you cycle through them to get the one you want, etc.

You can program strobe into one of the bezel settings if you want. I know some have theirs set for strobe/high.

I use mine for civilian EDC and for EMS work. Low is great for utility tasks like reading medicine bottles in dark apartments, and high is a defensive setting or searching for vehicles/patients outside.

The little things make these. Security and ease in/out of pocket is a big one. Most manufacturers of guns, lights and holsters overlook the small touches that make a big difference in day to day use.

Steve- have you tried the 2xAA body? It is just as thin but might be long enough to help with grip. I have one you can play with.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Thanks, SN!

This is very interesting for me for when going pretty minimalist - a knife in the strong side AIWB slot, and a light in the off-side AIWB slot. As I've yet to get good word on if the VTAC\SF lights are getting upgraded, this looks like a great alternative.

(Though I don't think I'll have the same issue as Steve.)

For those who want a kick-butt version of 2-AA, here's what I would do;

1. Order this light, which has a maximum output of 780 lumens @ 6 volts - http://www.foursevens.com/products/QT2L-X-AF
    2. Order a 2-AA body - http://www.foursevens.com/products/UQB4
    3. Use either 14500 Li-ion rechargeable batteries or the TI 14505 lithium cells I linked to in the OP to get the required voltage for max output.

The only downside to this set up would be standard AA alkaline batteries will not have adequate voltage to operate the light.

Here is a 336 lumen 2-AA light that will work with any AA battery - http://www.foursevens.com/products/QT2A-X-AE
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-01-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Nice review, and very interesting about the TI 14505, I'd never seen a 3V AA-shaped lithium primary before, guess I've been out of the loop, pretty cool! The finger-loop lanyard seems like a neat idea too.

I've been very happy with my Quarks over the years, my EDC is what's now known as the QT2L-X, I use a QT2A-X with Eneloops around the house, and my toddler has a QTA because she wanted a flashlight like Daddy's (set for now on the lowest mode!). I like the shape of the beam on the XM-L models. Just upgraded to a couple of the latest burst mode Quarks yesterday with their 30% off Cyber-Monday sale -- looks like the code might still work even though it was supposed to end at noon.
    Last edited by EricM; 12-01-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e0603 View Post
    Nice review, and very interesting about the TI 14505, I'd never seen a 3V AA-shaped lithium primary before, guess I've been out of the loop, pretty cool!
    I'm seriously thinking of buying the QT2A-X (336 lumens using the Cree XM-L2 emitter) and swapping the XM-L2 head onto my current QTA, which would result in a 336 lumen single-AA pocket light! I would place the QTA head (Cree XP-G2 emitter) on the new 2-AA light and keep it in the car loaded with standard AA lithium (1.5 volt) batteries.

These things are addicting....

Cool

General rule of thumb is, when all other things are equal, a light must be twice as bright to be "noticeably" brighter, and four times brighter to appear twice as bright to the human eye.

Awesome review NH Shooter! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Thanks, SN!

This is very interesting for me for when going pretty minimalist - a knife in the strong side AIWB slot, and a light in the off-side AIWB slot. As I've yet to get good word on if the VTAC\SF lights are getting upgraded, this looks like a great alternative.

(Though I don't think I'll have the same issue as Steve.)
    Dude if I were doing what you do I'd run a two cell 123 Quark.

User Tag List