Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4Sevens Quark QTA - Initial Impressions

4Sevens Quark QTA - Initial Impressions

I had been looking for a smaller alternative to a 2-CR123 light for EDC. While the Surefire light I would clip in my pocket when venturing out at night is extremely capable and trustworthy, it is a little too large to use as a true24/7 EDC.

In my search for a smaller light, here were my primary requirements;

1. Single-cell battery to keep OAL as short as possible
    2. A minimum of 200 lumens maximum output
    3. Simple UI with a “tactically correct” forward-clicky tail cap
    4. Well-secured clip for deep-pocket carry
    5. Durable construction

Since I already own several Surefire lights and am familiar with their high quality and robust construction, an EB1 Backup was my first choice but was out of the price range I wanted to spend on an EDC light that would have a higher probability of getting lost or stolen. After much research, I found the perfect fit for what I was looking for – the 4Sevens Quark Tactical QTA.

The QTA is a single AA battery light, with a rated maximum output of 130 lumens with a 1.5 volt alkaline battery. The light had been near the top of my list and I was ready to order the Quark Tactical QTL, the CR123 version of the light (which has a maximum output of 246 lumens) but the idea of being able to use the commonly-available AA battery kept me intrigued.

The breakthrough came upon the following two discoveries;

1. The head used with the AA-cell QTA is the same head used with the CR123-cell QTL and is rated for .9 to 4.2 volts
    2. The Titanium Innovations CR14505 CRAA 3V Lithium AA battery, which is 3 volts and 1500mAH capacity – identical to a CR123 cell

Using the CR14505 cell in the QTA gives it the same 246 lumen capacity as the QTL but with the added benefit of being able to use standard AA alkaline batteries in a pinch. It can also use 14500 Li-ion 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries, which further increases maximum output to about 280 lumens but with only half the run time of using the CR14505 lithium cell.

With all of my main requirements met, I purchased the Quark QTA. Though I’ve only had the light for a few days, I can make the following observations;

1. Though as a “Surefire guy” I will remain concerned with its durability until I’ve spent some time with it, the QTA appears to be well made. All the parts fit well and the light functions as advertised. The country of origin states “Assembled in China with components from USA, China and Malaysia.”
    2. Though the clicky-switch doesn’t have as smooth of operation as a Surefire unit, it functions perfectly. The switch requires moderate pressure and about an eighth-inch of travel to momentarily activate, and about another three-sixteenths travel to click on. Complete replacement tail caps are available from 4Sevens for $9.00, so if it wears out prematurely, replacement is a non-issue.
    3. I very much like the UI and the fact that two modes can be programmed. I have maximum output set for when the bezel is tight against the body and the 6-lumen option for when the bezel is loosened. The bezel only has to be turned about 20 degrees to switch between high and low output. The bezel turns smoothly and can be easily turned with the thumb and index finger in one hand.
    4. The optional deep carry pocket clip is well-secured to the body. As expected, the light “disappears” into the front pocket of my jeans, both visually and comfort-wise.
    5. The Quark series of lights are “Lego-able” meaning heads, bodies, tail caps and other accessories are interchangeable between the various models (heads must stay within designated voltage ranges). For $20, I may end up ordering a single CR123 body which would convert the QTA into a Quark Tactical QTLC.

Performance

As expected with the Cree XP-G2 emitter, output is smooth, intense and neutral white. Compared to my SF 6PX Pro (Cree XP-G, 200 lumen version), the QTA produces a comparable corona and spill, but without the well-defined center hot spot of the Surefire. Though the 6PX has better throw due to that hot spot, the smooth and uniform corona of the QTA provides superb area lighting and is exactly what I was hoping for in an EDC light. At 246+ lumens, it retains more than sufficient reach and most certainly would temporarily blind an assailant in a self-defense situation.

EDC Use

Along with the optional deep carry clip, I fashioned a finger-loop lanyard out of paracord. The lanyard is small enough not to ruin the “pocket-ability” of the light but enables open-hand retention. With the loop around my support hand index finger, the light can be easily used in a conventional overhand grip as well as a cigar hold, making it suitable for a variety of handgun/flashlight techniques when used in conjunction with my PPS. With a flick of the wrist, the light can be swung to the back of my hand, remaining fully retained and allowing full use of the support hand. The lanyard can also be held squeezed between the index and middle fingers for open-hand retention and of course, serves as a method to retrieve the light from the pocket.

Conclusion

For under a $60 investment I am impressed with the 4Sevens Quark QTA. It truly meets my requirements for an EDC pocket light and then some. Time will tell how the light stands up to EDC but so far I am optimistic that I will remain pleased with the purchase and that the light will continue to meet my needs.

The light and optional deep carry clip was purchased from www.environmentalled.com for a total of $57.45 including USPS Priority Mail shipping.

Full specs on the Quark QTA can be found on the 4Sevens website.

Photos

4Sevens Quark Tactical QTA with optional deep carry pocket clip and DIY finger-loop lanyard. Titanium Innovations CR14505 CRAA 3-volt lithium and standard 1.5 volt alkaline AA shown for size comparison.

Light as shown above weighs 2.4 ounces with TI lithium battery installed.

At 3.8 inches long, the QTA is a perfect fit for my hand. The finger loop lanyard adds open-hand retention capability.

The optional deep carry pocket clips holds the QTA securely and very comfortably in a front pocket.

The QTA staged with some of my other EDC stuff. It packs plenty of capability into a very easy-to-carry package.

NH Shooter, thank you for a very in-depth and detailed review.

I've been thinking about replacing my little old keychain-carried Four Sevens Preon Revo with a more powerful if slightly larger edition, and the QTA looks like a good choice.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

My requirements are similar to yours and I have been happy with a couple Quark lights over the last two years as well.

I am using the 2x AA version with Eneloop rechargables. I have considered going to a 14500 setup or something else but I got a good deal on a bunch of Eneloops and I am happy with them.

I like the ability to access a low mode without getting high first, and I like to have high as a "default." The twist head accomplishes this perfectly with a simple on/off switch in the rear.

The Quarks are built well with good clips, something that is overlooked often even by top brands. All in all, I can't think of anything else I would want in an EDC light that the Quark line doesn't provide. It's one of those rare products that continues to exceed my expectations.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

It's always dangerous for a flashlight addict to read this forum. I just ordered a QTA off Amazon after reading your review.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I've got one of the original QTA lights that was rated for ~80 lumens. I believe I got it in 2008... Or maybe 09. I carried it every day for many years until I got the itch for more power. I bought a QT2Lx which was only 0.5 inches longer but allowed 800 lumens on burst, and much longer runtimes on lower levels.

My QTA still runs perfect and my wife caries it in her purse. Quark lights are excellent and my go-to any time I need a good pocket light.

I purchased the 2xAA turbo for my FIL a few years ago. He uses it frequently and loves it.

My only issue was the size and losing it in my bear paws.... this is often over looked by many...

I'm unsure reading the manufacturer's description - can this be configured for single-mode activation (always clicks on to highest)?

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I'm unsure reading the manufacturer's description - can this be configured for single-mode activation (always clicks on to highest)?

Yup!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve f View Post
    My only issue was the size and losing it in my bear paws.... this is often over looked by many...
    I also have XXL paws - do they have a 2 cell version of the QTA?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I also have XXL paws - do they have a 2 cell version of the QTA?
    It appears that they do http://www.foursevens.com/products/QT2A-X-AE

User Tag List