Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pistol-forum.com Match Video Thread

From the Columbia Cascade Sectional match this past weekend, Dundee Oregon:

https://youtu.be/5UBMmlNbqVg

Things I've noticed:

Good:

I see my finger in register off target. I have always wondered if I do that.

I am good with muzzle awareness.

Could be better:

Planning. I sort of kind of had a plan, but it went to pot when the beep sounded.

Waiting after a shot. I was amazed, on Movement Standards, for instance, how long I waited after the initial shot to move. I think this is a mental habit carry over from square range shooting.

Shooting multiple targets quicker. Many times, I align, see the sights, then press, but the on the second Alpha I align again. I think I need to align, then get two off, quicker. You can see me do this on Speed Demon.

Bad

Hitting no shoots. On one momentary target, I actually was so slow my follow up was drilled, right in the center of the no shoot because I was too slow. Argh.

Leaving steel. On stage 2 (not videoed) I left two steel standing. Bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    From the Columbia Cascade Sectional match this past weekend, Dundee Oregon:

https://youtu.be/5UBMmlNbqVg

Things I've noticed:

Good:

I see my finger in register off target. I have always wondered if I do that.

I am good with muzzle awareness.

Could be better:

Planning. I sort of kind of had a plan, but it went to pot when the beep sounded.

Waiting after a shot. I was amazed, on Movement Standards, for instance, how long I waited after the initial shot to move. I think this is a mental habit carry over from square range shooting.

Shooting multiple targets quicker. Many times, I align, see the sights, then press, but the on the second Alpha I align again. I think I need to align, then get two off, quicker. You can see me do this on Speed Demon.

Bad

Hitting no shoots. On one momentary target, I actually was so slow my follow up was drilled, right in the center of the no shoot because I was too slow. Argh.

Leaving steel. On stage 2 (not videoed) I left two steel standing. Bad idea.
    Here's some more embed for you:

You do want to aim each shot (using the sights, generally.) The practice of "fast pairs", "hammer pairs", and "double taps", all of which are terms that describe one sight picture and two quick presses are not a worthwhile path in the long term. I have seen a hell of a lot of people fire A-D and A-M from simply not aiming the second shot. The task of aiming is not very demanding in some cases, but it still needs to be done. There are a lot of misses on really close easy targets out of not respecting the need to aim. AIM ALL TEH SHOTS.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post

There are a lot of misses on really close easy targets out of not respecting the need to aim. AIM ALL TEH SHOTS.
    I kind of think this is what I heard from @GJM, too.

Be SURE you get your easy points.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I kind of think this is what I heard from @GJM, too.

Be SURE you get your easy points.
    The time saved shooting really fast pairs won't offset that one hurried miss.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Shot Michigan sectionals this weekend. Fun match at a nice range, and there was quite a few of those little Colt poppers set at long distances and behind hard cover. I placed 4th in production, a percentage behind the guy in third, two behind a GM, and a good 15 behind the division champion. They also donated what would have been prize money to the Boy Scouts, and in exchange we had 3-5 scouts per stage taping and resetting, which was awesome.

The good:

- Moving quicker now, and shooting more on the move
    - Generally solid stage plans (showing up the day before really helps)
    - Considering the particularly high difficulty of hitting distant steel (no large poppers in the match either) I only needed a couple makeup shots
    - Expanding on that, I won stage 5 which had two ~40 yard colt poppers and I went one for one on them. Damn glad I had Dawsons for that and not the big fat factory VP9 sights

The bad:

- Dropped a couple shots barely into no shoots a couple times. This is huge, and I just need to aim a little higher as I'm naturally getting way too close to the white line with my sights. Wasn't a problem at long range when I did that as I took the proper time and sight picture to ensure hits. This cost me a position finish or two.
    - Bad grip/index quite a few times which caused abnormally slow shots on <5 yard targets
    - Couple of stage plans could have been tweaked better. I definitely had a couple times where I changed my mind and decided on a different plan when in the deep hole
    - Movement is quicker, but considering some of the distances I could have been shooting on the move more and been less janky at certain spots. Not major, just something to continue working on
    - Couple semi-fumbled reloads. Reloads from my back reserve mags are pretty dang slow
    - Some slow transitions. Need to get the hell off of targets and not dwell on them
    - Definitely need to continue working on flowing through a stage instead of shooting everything from set positions

Misc concerns:

- I missed out on getting video for a few stages. Going to invest in a tripod for my phone since it's way easier, and I can use it during practice
    - If anyone has any free/cheap and simple video editing software that looks better than the now unsupported Windows Movie Maker I'm all ears. I do have access to the Adobe Premiere at work but I'm leering of wasting time learning it if there's something more efficient.

Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

simulated video

That was hillarious, and genius. Good shootin too.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

USPSA Area 7 Championship

Here's the footage from Area 7 in Harvard MA Sept 9th. I primarily shoot IDPA based upon club availability and work schedule, so for me this was another level. I got my ass kicked, and crapped the bed the last three stages or so. But, I think I learned more about shooting at the competitive level from this alone than any other source. I got to see guys and gals who can really shoot, and while humbling, it's a driving factor in training harder for next time.

IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

Recent IPSC match I shot, finished 1st in Standard:

Last edited by AGR416; 09-25-2017 at 03:06 PM.

USPSA Production Nationals. Lots to work on but an awesome experience

Last edited by Jesting Devil; 10-02-2017 at 03:57 AM.

User Tag List