Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pistol-forum.com Match Video Thread

Site Supporter

First USPSA Match

Shot my first USPSA match this past Saturday.

Not that I'm a great shooter but it was a very humbling experience to see some of the experienced guys play this game. I was amazed at how much planning and calculation those guys do prior to the timer going off. It's been a while since I've shot a match at all but very different than IDPA in all the walkthroughs/rehearsing that shooters did, individual planning vs. prescribed course of fire in IDPA, etc.

I put myself in a squad with the only Master and 3 out of 4 A-Class shooters there knowing that I would get absolutely smoked but the primary goal for the day was to learn as much as I possibly could. Check and Check. Finished 17 out of 26 per Practiscore at 50% of the winner's score, another 6 shooters didn't have data there so no idea on real overall. Placed between 12 and 14 on 4 of 6 stages but really lost the mental game on the other 2 by making 2 Procedurals (forgot about targets after walk through and didn't engage them after not seeing from the positions they should have been shot from), a hit on a no shoot, and some misses.

Last stage of the day and the only stage I was able to get a video of for later analysis. Shot 63.71% with 25A 5C; happy with the hits but found lots of things to work on even here.

Takeaways from the day: 1) Stage planning (planning the work and then working the plan) needs lots of work. Not sure how guys remember all of the targets just yet given the multiple positions and how much movement within a single position can be needed to actually see/engage them all. 2) Need to incorporate more footwork and movement into my shooting/training. Was wild to watch the Master-class shooter explode out of a position and haul ass to the next. I need to do a better job of getting low to stay mobile, taking shots that I can make on the move, and sprinting where possible/needed. 3) Transitions - I can use some work visually in transitioning between targets, especially those beyond 10 or so yards. Tight shots were a problem in transitions and beyond the visual processes I noticed in the video that I was too quick to dismount the gun while looking for the next array. Has to be costing me time and likely accuracy as well - probably applies more back on #2 and movement with the gun than the visual process. 4) ETA - @Up1911Fan wagered in the SCD thread that likely less than 1% of Glock owners know about the gadget and I wouldn't bet against that. Got stopped in the middle of a standards-type stage with multiple strings of fire by the RO/RSO to tell me that my gun was broken/unsafe. I was shooting 1 of 2 Glocks that I saw that day (tons of CZs there) but 2 Glock armorers and everyone there had shot or owned Glocks at one point and all were confused by why my backplate was trying to fly off.

Be brutal and tell me where else I'm screwing up as I'm certain I don't have the eye and experience to catch everything wrong here. I really appreciate the feedback you gents can afford, we have a hell of a group of good shooters and overall stand up dudes here. I'm happy to learn all I can from you.

Last edited by Duckysattva; 11-22-2021 at 10:36 AM.
    In one physical model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction, Danny. -Ty Webb

Quote Originally Posted by Duckysattva View Post
    Shot my first USPSA match this past Saturday.

Not that I'm a great shooter but it was a very humbling experience to see some of the experienced guys play this game. I was amazed at how much planning and calculation those guys do prior to the timer going off. It's been a while since I've shot a match at all but very different than IDPA in all the walkthroughs/rehearsing that shooters did, individual planning vs. prescribed course of fire in IDPA, etc.

I put myself in a squad with the only Master and 3 out of 4 A-Class shooters there knowing that I would get absolutely smoked but the primary goal for the day was to learn as much as I possibly could. Check and Check. Finished 17 out of 26 per Practiscore at 50% of the winner's score, another 6 shooters didn't have data there so no idea on real overall. Placed between 12 and 14 on 4 of 6 stages but really lost the mental game on the other 2 by making 2 Procedurals (forgot about targets after walk through and didn't engage them after not seeing from the positions they should have been shot from), a hit on a no shoot, and some misses.

Last stage of the day and the only stage I was able to get a video of for later analysis. Shot 63.71% with 25A 5C; happy with the hits but found lots of things to work on even here.

Takeaways from the day: 1) Stage planning (planning the work and then working the plan) needs lots of work. Not sure how guys remember all of the targets just yet given the multiple positions and how much movement within a single position can be needed to actually see/engage them all. 2) Need to incorporate more footwork and movement into my shooting/training. Was wild to watch the Master-class shooter explode out of a position and haul ass to the next. I need to do a better job of getting low to stay mobile, taking shots that I can make on the move, and sprinting where possible/needed. 3) Transitions - I can use some work visually in transitioning between targets, especially those beyond 10 or so yards. Tight shots were a problem in transitions and beyond the visual processes I noticed in the video that I was too quick to dismount the gun while looking for the next array. Has to be costing me time and likely accuracy as well - probably applies more back on #2 and movement with the gun than the visual process. 4) ETA - @Up1911Fan wagered in the SCD thread that likely less than 1% of Glock owners know about the gadget and I wouldn't bet against that. Got stopped in the middle of a standards-type stage with multiple strings of fire by the RO/RSO to tell me that my gun was broken/unsafe. I was shooting 1 of 2 Glocks that I saw that day (tons of CZs there) but 2 Glock armorers and everyone there had shot or owned Glocks at one point and all were confused by why my backplate was trying to fly off.

Be brutal and tell me where else I'm screwing up as I'm certain I don't have the eye and experience to catch everything wrong here. I really appreciate the feedback you gents can afford, we have a hell of a group of good shooters and overall stand up dudes here. I'm happy to learn all I can from you.

Props to you for getting out there and shooting a match and then posting the video.

First several matches are gonna be overwhelming so don't get caught up in placement. Comparing scores to other people to gauge your success will not help your mental game because it's something out of your control. You can't control who shows up to a match. Some regions are very strong with multiple GMs and Ms that show up to locals. Some areas are weak with an occasional M that shows up. So don't worry about where you place overall.

The top shooter was 50 seconds faster than you over a 6 stage match. So there's your lowest hanging fruit. But remember it's a journey so just start improving a little each day and soon you'll start seeing big improvements.

Make it a goal to shoot a match with no mikes and penalties and see where that puts you.

Lastly, focus on what you do well and improve upon it! Don't just beat yourself up. Based off that video I would guess you have the mechanics to make any shot necessary in USPSA. That's a huge asset!

@Duckysattva

I thought you did well! It’s clear you know how to shoot.

There’s a lot of sport specific time reduction that doesn’t have much to do with shooting (or self defense). Like picking entry positions that allow you to see more targets instead of taking individual steps for each target. You’ll get used to it as you do more. Keep squadding with the guys you did and be super helpful and work hard pasting and scoring and they’ll be happy to help you with walk throughs. Them helping you real time will be important to cutting time off the learning curve.

Since you’re a decent shooter, your match percent will increase rapidly as you learn the gaming part.

Video their runs as well as yours so you can review later.

Videos from yesterday's match. Placed 22 overall out of 70 shooters. Plugged a few no-shoots which ended up hurting me and some stage plans I didn't execute as well as I'd like. Starting to figure out how to more optimally utilize positioning though so it's coming along. I feel like I did well overall but the next run I'm going to chase speed a tad more as I noticed some of the higher ranked shooters from the match had worse hits than me but their times balanced that out for them.

I had planned to shoot the whole day from concealment but after the first stage of doing that with the cold affecting my fingers some I copped out and just ran open appendix.

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3 (RO was stumped at me running appendix and had to make sure that was okay)

Stage 4 (2 no shoots hit when I was trying to just blaze through)

Stage 5 (1 no shoot hit from letting myself get a little too loose)

Stage 6 (Classifier)
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Saturday match

First match Saturday with the SBR MPX.

Did well with high alpha count and fast times.

Shot within my skill set and excited for a little more work and progress to get where I want to go.

Site Supporter

Shadowhawk USPSA June 2021

I completely forgot that I got video from this match until playing with my Gopro yesterday. It was my first match back after about a year and a half off from USPSA. I did alright, but definitely some rust (especially reloads and stage planning). Also, you can apparently shoot a 100 on Hoser Heaven in CO with a NPM . Results here.

@joshs

Monster level recoil control and follow through. There was never a doubt of the shot calling.

Site Supporter

Fredericksburg USPSA March 2022

First match of the year. Shot pretty conservatively and felt a lot of tension in my upper body, which resulted in shooting wide open arrays pretty slowly.

FYI your last stage in that video has no sound.

Picked up an inexpensive action camera a few months ago and finally got around to playing with it. I have to try and figure out how I can shim my mount up a few degrees and hide the noodle arms, but overall I am pretty happy with it so far.

First time back in Production since last year, been playing gun of the week for most of the off season, but a late acceptance into a major match at the end of the month has me scrambling to get ready. My transitions were more sluggish for the first half of the match (started on stage 3) and a few make ups on steel, but I got warmed up enough to generate some good reactions from the squad when we got back to stage 1. This was also the first time dealing with activated targets in a while and there is some work to do there as well.
    Overall though I am pretty happy with it finished 1st in production and around 87% of a near GM CO shooter and a bunch of other high cap masters.

I forgot to record stage 2 which of course was them most interesting stage of the match

User Tag List