Thread: Defensive Pistol Match (9/9/23)

Site Supporter

Defensive Pistol Match (9/9/23)

After 5 years of no matches, I returned and shot this match today at the Crosse Creek Rifle and Pistol Club in Hope Mills. I had a great time and plan to shoot again next month.

I used my Boresight Solutions Glock 19 frame(with Apex Trigger) but swapped my slide onto it that has my Holosun SCS. I swapped the Gadget from my Boresight slide onto my SCS slide. I had my SCS on the circle(32 MOA), which I like, but for little steel poppers, and dueling trees the circle didn't work well. The circle worked well on the people-sized targets. I switched to the dot(2 MOA) for the third stage. So, the question is, do I use the circle and learn where to aim, or just use the dot? I don't know. I like the circle for "fast" acquisition but the dot was better for my "precise" shots. I thought I didn't need a Gadget. Thankfully, I trusted P-F and, once again, I'm glad I did. While on the range, in the heat, with sweaty hands, and trying to reholster safely with eleven people standing behind you it was good to know my thumb on the Gadget was reassurance I wasn't engaging the trigger. I used my Phlster Engima but adjusted it up for better access to the grip. I carry very low in my waistband on a normal basis. I will not win any quick-draw contest and hopefully, my situation awareness will allow me to be prepared. Plus, avoiding stupid people and places helps.

Speaking of "fast", I wasn't, I was last. I failed to engage one target, which added 20 seconds to my time, but even if I had hit it, I'd still be last. Call me "Jason Molasses", John Wick's third cousin.
    I'm slow on everything—drawing, aiming, reloading, acquiring my dot, transitions, moving, walking, running, you name it, I was slow. My excuse? No excuse. I've been lazy. I could have been dry-firing more, walking or exercising, and strengthening my grip while sitting and watching television. I could have been doing something to improve every aspect of being slow. I have a month to improve so I'm not last again. I had fun, which was important, and I was able to test out the gear I want to carry, which is also important but I need to be faster next time.

Here's a quick video of stage 1(not me in the video):

The little piece of steel I failed to engage:
    --Jason--

I think you had a win right there even if it didn't show up in the scores. Think of what you learned on just the dot sight alone. I have a dot on my PCC which I have only shot at one match. It had just the small dot and there were a couple of times where I had to work to find it. I have another dot that has 4 different reticles one of which is a small dot in a circle. I have that one the PCC now. My thinking is that the circle will help find the dot if I have a problem again. I shoot 2 idpa matches a month and usually finish mid pack overall so no grand master for sure. But I think it will really help if I ever actually need a gun. Just shooting from a wide range of different positions is worth it's weight in gold to me. My wife shoots one of the matches with me. Just yesterday we were looking over the stages for Saturday and on one, we need to lie down on a carpet and shoot under a fence. So we moved our coffee table a bit, gunned up w/ double verified empty guns, and practiced getting down on the carpet and dry firing for 30 minutes. She is 68 and I am 75 so real glad no one was watching us. We have several guys at each match shooting from what is obviously their actual carry rig. I don't do that but I can see how it could be a really good idea.

BTW for even more vetting of equipment and technique, see if you can find a night match this fall. Both clubs I shoot at move the standard idpa match in November to 6pm. Daylight savings time has ended then so it is near or fully dark. I have been using a Crimson Trace light/laser unit and this year will try out a TLR2-G. These are my 2 favorite matches of the year.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    BTW for even more vetting of equipment and technique, see if you can find a night match this fall. Both clubs I shoot at move the standard idpa match in November to 6pm. Daylight savings time has ended then so it is near or fully dark. I have been using a Crimson Trace light/laser unit and this year will try out a TLR2-G. These are my 2 favorite matches of the year.
    I'm looking for a night match so I don't have to get up early on a Saturday morning.

I was glad I shot my carry gear. I know my draw speed is slow, but I didn't realize how slow I was until the buzzer sounded. But, dry fire practice will help me improve.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I think you had a win right there even if it didn't show up in the scores. Think of what you learned on just the dot sight alone. I have a dot on my PCC which I have only shot at one match. It had just the small dot and there were a couple of times where I had to work to find it. I have another dot that has 4 different reticles one of which is a small dot in a circle. I have that one the PCC now. My thinking is that the circle will help find the dot if I have a problem again. I shoot 2 idpa matches a month and usually finish mid pack overall so no grand master for sure. But I think it will really help if I ever actually need a gun. Just shooting from a wide range of different positions is worth it's weight in gold to me. My wife shoots one of the matches with me. Just yesterday we were looking over the stages for Saturday and on one, we need to lie down on a carpet and shoot under a fence. So we moved our coffee table a bit, gunned up w/ double verified empty guns, and practiced getting down on the carpet and dry firing for 30 minutes. She is 68 and I am 75 so real glad no one was watching us. We have several guys at each match shooting from what is obviously their actual carry rig. I don't do that but I can see how it could be a really good idea.
    Uhmm, I don't believe a dot sight guarantees a win. Competitive shooting involves many skills, not just equipment. Choosing the right reticle is a personal preference. Using a carry rig in matches can be beneficial, but I always remember that competitive shooting and self-defense situations have different dynamics... so I tailor strategies to my specific circumstances.

Site Supporter

Defensive Pistol Match (3/9/24)

Yesterday was a rainy day for shooting and I almost didn't go, plus I had a busy work week, and for a few days, I didn't feel well. I'm glad I went. I'll talk about it but first I want to mention what I learned from a few matches I attended in the last few months but didn't post about.

One hand shooting with my Glock 26 I sometimes cause a misfeed/jam. Once I realized I was the issue(in the October and December matches) and not a magazine I tried to make sure to grip my G26 when shooting SHO/WHO. It still happened in the next matches(January/February) so I have started using the many grip strengthening devices I own. I have one in my car, my work van, by my bed and living room chair. I try to use them every so often, but due to health issues, I have to go easy because it can cause pain that lingers in my bones.
    We had a night shoot in January and I need more practice with a light and gun. I carry a Malkoff Bodyguard, but with my SCS and the Roger techniques I couldn't make out the SCS(I think the sensors were overwhelmed?). I switched to the FBI technique and it worked better except aiming the light was the issue. I'll try the Harris technique next time.
    The short grip of the Danny Devito Glock worried me during dry-fire practice. I don't feel like I'm getting a good grip and I'll drop it. I have never dropped it and didn't during the last few matches, but it still is a concern to me that under a high stress . I switched to a 12 round magazine a few weeks ago(after the February match) and prefer it for quick grip grabbing. I lose the concealability of the 10 round magazine but I gain a little confidence I won't drop/fumble my gun. I am thinking about trying the Milspin Beef Jones base plate(don't need a weighted base pad), the Springer Precision Tactical Basepad(.375" longer),Henning Group Pro Series base pad(7/16" longer), the Dawson Precision base plate(which comes in three heights), or none of them and keep using the 12 round magazine. I like the extra grip of the 12 round magazine but not the extra length. I just need a little extra pinky grip at the front. If anyone has any experience with any of those base pads, let me know. I'll search the forum to see any have been mentioned.

What I learned from yesterday's match: If I take my time, aim, and concentrate on the target with both eyes open I can shoot a clean match! I had no errors and no missed shots. Everything in the A zone, and all steel hit with one shot. Today was the best I have ever done, and I was 4th in the optics division. Only 8 of us used red dots, but in the last few matches, I have been last or near the bottom of the list(usually 13-15 people shoot optics). I had no issues with the rain and my SCS but it was a light rain at the beginning of the day, then stopped and started again on the last stage. I think in a real rain shower my SCS would have been useless and would have possibly kept me from using my sights. Maybe Holosun will make a Glock MOS enclosed SCS, or I may need to switch to an enclosed model. But that doesn't help me with the basics; I need more work on transitions and aiming quickly. I need to practice my draw, I could be faster drawing. I missed third place by .92 of a second, not that I want to be a gamer, but I do want to be faster on the draw and I will be.
    My plan is to shoot the match each month this year. I'll work on draw speed over the next few weeks. Slow and steady over and over again so my draw is faster and smoother. We'll see if I can shoot a clean match next month and be a smidgen faster.
    --Jason--

Although I don't do it, I understand the idea of using your carry gun and holster for matches. Helps you optimize your carry setup so you will be a bit better prepared for a real life situation.
    But you have already figured out that a longer grip helps so I'd stay with that including edc. I carry an M&P compact that came w/ a 12 rnd grip. A M&P forum poster came up w/ an extender for another brand gun that made the 12 rnd into a 14. Then M&P came out w/ the 2.0 guns and one had a 15 rnd mag that works perfectly in my gun w/ a sleave. Now I always have either the 14 or 15 in the gun. So I think you can work to adjust your carry rig to work w/ the longer mags. But once that is done, I'd get a standard strong side hip holster for matches. Not only is it faster, it is also safer for you and everyone else.

Site Supporter
    I bought a Pearce Grip extension (no additional rounds) but its about, if not the same size, as their +2, in the front. I may grind it down to just what I need.
    Name:  20240316_204149.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  74.5 KB
    Name:  20240316_205502.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  52.7 KB
    --Jason--

User Tag List