Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pistol-forum.com Match Video Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Falling is uncommon, but not unheard of even for those physically fit. Just gotta keep your wits about you and control your pistol as you go down or you go to lunch at Dairy Queen.

Dairy Queen = DQ = disqualification = your shooting is over for the day. Letting the muzzle point uprange of a imaginary line parallel to the berm is a common way to go to DQ.
    Oh, I fully understand the DQ side of things and wasn't making a comment on that. It was the course design I was curious about. One of my buddies visiting tonight reminded me we used to set up something similar when we started shooting IPSC 30 years ago. I just hadn't seen anything like it in a while.

I know all about DQ's.. Around 1990 I flew all the way from Alaska to Arizona to shoot an IPSC match. I left a box to move before getting my finger out of the trigger guard on the first stage after firing a whopping 4 rounds. I got a really good seat to watch the rest of the match with some real legends shooting it.

First match with my quasi-Roland.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDZ5M5IJ...d=3v446jcxjdzh
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The videos below were from my match at HSC in Brooksville FL. Appreciate any tips if anyone wants to watch this train wreck. I’m extremely grateful to member @Cory for taking his valuable time to grab these as well as post them for view. He is a class act.

My self evaluation includes: spend less time setting up a sight picture on short range in transition targets. Slow down and press good hits on 7-10 yard targets. Make sure I know where fault lines are on a stage.

This was my 12th USPSA Match. I’m currently a D (36%) in Production with a G19.

Hernando Sportsmans Club 11/10/20, Stage Videos, in order as shot

Last edited by RJ; 10-15-2020 at 06:07 AM.

The biggest thing I noticed with your shooting that I think could be holding you back is your hard front site focus and the time it takes to see your target, then see your site, then align it, then press the trigger.

I say could because some are very fast at this process. I am not, and use a target focused approach where I am aware of my sights but am not normally pointing my eyes at them. The process going quick is also not always the same as the process going slower. But, I'm not a good enough shooter to properly articulate how to get where we all want to be from where we are.

Site Supporter
    This is for one of the bigger stages from this past weekend.
    I was hoping to get a better look at what my support hand is doing or not doing.
    I'll be more specific when I ask someone next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The biggest thing I noticed with your shooting that I think could be holding you back is your hard front site focus and the time it takes to see your target, then see your site, then align it, then press the trigger.

I say could because some are very fast at this process. I am not, and use a target focused approach where I am aware of my sights but am not normally pointing my eyes at them. The process going quick is also not always the same as the process going slower. But, I'm not a good enough shooter to properly articulate how to get where we all want to be from where we are.
    Speaking as another person who has a LONG way to go to be anywhere near "good" (high end of C class in Production), the biggest single piece of low hanging fruit I can see in those videos of RJ shooting is movement and efficiency. I know he's not 20 years old (heck, neither am I), but I'm pretty sure he could move faster between positions, and in one of those videos, I noticed a shoot-->move/reload transition where he stopped shooting, seemed to pause briefly, then his support hand went for a mag and had the mag halfway up to the gun before he started moving toward the next position. There's significant time to be saved by getting your feet moving as soon as you've pressed the trigger for the last time at the position you're leaving.

One thing I noticed that RJ does better than me is transitioning smoothly from moving to shooting. I don't do a very good job of decelerating smoothly, and I know I cost myself time steadying my aim at the end of high-speed movement as a result. Somewhere in between the two of us is probably what's "right."

FN America DSM
    Cajun Gun Works and Shooters World Powder shooting team member

First match w/ my comped 26. Lots of fun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTdFlaaj...dium=copy_link
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Resumed USPSA with match #15 today, my first since Oct 2020. Also first match in CO, and first with the G34. It was hot (92° F) but I had installed some Talon granulate grips, which worked well against the sweat.

I feel kinda slow, and had too many Mikes and NS’s, for sure.

Someone did grab a video of me on Stage 2. I’d just fallen hard in the mud on Stage 1, so I was trying to take it easy. Having four poppers out at 20 yd partially hidden wasn’t fun, and there was a 180 trap with hardcover that was difficult.

Need to keep shooting matches. Oh and some grippier shoes, these boots didn’t work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    First match w/ my comped 26. Lots of fun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTdFlaaj...dium=copy_link
    Really, really good shooting - awesome!

User Tag List