Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Nightstand" gun

Mostly its a Springfield Armory XDS 9mm. I eventually want to put Trijicon sights on it. Someday.

My Sig 236 is also close at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
    My Sig 236 is also close at hand.
    What's that?

Site Supporter
    I have a Gen4 G17 (+2 baseplate) with a Surefire X300 and tritium Warren sights. I also have handheld Surefire and an extra mag in/on the nightstand.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    don't play the duffer card
    I don't know what that means. Google didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don't know what that means. Google didn't help.
    Sigh.

Can I sigh?
    Ignore Alien Orders

We are diminished
    Dictionary.com
    Urban Dictionary

FWIW, I'd never heard the term before, either.

Site Supporter
    My 1911 comes out of the holster, gets a 10 round mag and sits by a flashlight.

But not on a nightstand.

Vending Machine Operator
    My 92FS with factory 17-rounders and standard-pressure Speer Gold Dots.

It's strange. I own two guns with night sights and rails. Those are the logical choices. But that 92 fits me like a glove. It's the thing I'd be the most confident with in a pinch. Sometime down the line I want a railed model.

Night sights and light on rail.

God Bless,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    No, its not. But it doesn't have to be uber-simple either. I carry an HK pistol and a J frame revolver, every day. My nightstand gun is a G17 with M3X light… because I that's what I WANT. The G17 is a police trade-in that personifies the term "tool". Three different guns… but maybe not so different, because they all work the same way; pick it up, pull the trigger. Repeat until no more burrets, whereupon their differences begin to manifest themselves. But after carrying, shooting, training, qualifying, etc., etc., with these guns (and others just like them) for a very long time, I think I could manage to "stay in the fight".

I would be very interested to hear why you think one needs a reason to use different guns for different tasks. And make that a generalized statement, please (i.e., don't play the duffer card), because your quoted comment sounded pretty generalized to me… okay?

It sounds like a lot of people are pursuing complexity for the sake of complication. There are plenty of pretty basic reasons for sticking with one type of gun (the most obvious being parts interchange, holster compatibility, etc.) but I'm not hearing much in the way of reasons for the gun cournicopia other than "because I want to". That's cool if that's all it is, I know a lot of people see guns differently than I do.

I suppose I was expecting to hear more of the "why" in this thread and less of the weird. In hindsight, the lack of why probably should have clued me in that there wasn't any.

User Tag List