Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edged tool sharpening

I'm still learning how to do more than a touch up but I've found this diamond steel to work incredibly fast for my touch up purposes. I don't have the knife knowledge and sharpening skill level of Mario but I do know when a blade needs work.
    #RESIST

To throw in here.
    I use one of these. http://dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/guide.../aligner-kits/
    Works very well and can help maintain the original edge angle due to being able to adjust the angle holding the blade.
    I use a marker on the edge to be sharpened to make sure I am setting the proper angle. (the marker gets honed off as you work)
    Finish with cardboard strop.
    Damp terry cloth to clean the stones.
    Easy to carry with you too.
    Will work well up to a 9 or 10 inch kitchen knife but anything longer is a little unwieldy.
    Last edited by baddean; 11-29-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Worksharp Ken Onion Edition. It works great and easy to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

What does learning to do more than a touch up encompass and what route are you going?
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm still learning how to do more than a touch up but I've found this diamond steel to work incredibly fast for my touch up purposes. I don't have the knife knowledge and sharpening skill level of Mario but I do know when a blade needs work.

I watched the videos...wow that seems so simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    To throw in here.
    I use one of these. http://dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/guide.../aligner-kits/
    Works very well and can help maintain the original edge angle due to being able to adjust the angle holding the blade.
    I use a marker on the edge to be sharpened to make sure I am setting the proper angle. (the marker gets honed off as you work)
    Finish with cardboard strop.
    Damp terry cloth to clean the stones.
    Easy to carry with you too.
    Will work well up to a 9 or 10 inch kitchen knife but anything longer is a little unwieldy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    What does learning to do more than a touch up encompass and what route are you going?
    I can restore about 80-90% of where a blade was (before using) but can't really get past that. I hate watching videos online but it appears that's the best route.
    #RESIST

I have a KME Sharpener kit...and I still suck at sharpening. I ruin alot of edges when I work, so normally my knives need to go back to the factory a couple times a year. Now, when I just can't rehab an edge, I sent it to Josh at razoredgeknives.com. I have a Strider SnG and an Emerson HD-7 there now

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    I watched the videos...wow that seems so simple.
    Brian,
    It is very simple. When I sharpen my wifes kitchen knives I have to put a post-it note on them to remind her to be more careful than usual with them.
    It has a rounded diamond file for serrated blades too.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Spyderco Sharpmaker works well
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can restore about 80-90% of where a blade was (before using) but can't really get past that. I hate watching videos online but it appears that's the best route.
    Dude...
    Next time I visit I'll teach you how to sharpen. Factory edges are kitten.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List