Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edged tool sharpening

Long diamond bench stone, at least 6". Medium and fine will take care of most needs.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

http://www.flexxxstrops.com/tyrant/

Gets me most of what I need if I keep up with it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

For most knife use, an eze-lap round diamond hone with the brass handle. Once in a while a stone. For yard tools, an angle head grinder with sanding discs. For my draw knives, a two sided chrystolon axe stone. When used correctly (bevel side down only), I can get them shaving sharp in just a couple minutes.

For a quick touch up, the top edge of a vehicle window works fairly well.

Interesting. Do you stay with the factory angle??
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    http://www.flexxxstrops.com/tyrant/

Gets me most of what I need if I keep up with it.

As best as I can... I have a few knives where I wound up putting a nice useless shine on part of the grind that was not the edge.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Another interesting website. Those brass handle sharpeners look very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    For most knife use, an eze-lap round diamond hone with the brass handle. Once in a while a stone. For yard tools, an angle head grinder with sanding discs. For my draw knives, a two sided chrystolon axe stone. When used correctly (bevel side down only), I can get them shaving sharp in just a couple minutes.

For a quick touch up, the top edge of a vehicle window works fairly well.

Great article..thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A diamond stone with fine/very fine and piece of cardboard to use as a strop. I read this post from Emerson Knives years ago - http://emersonknives.com/blog/sharpening-your-emerson/ And still follow those basic rules. Take a fine diamond stone and mark out the edge. Dress it lightly, break the burr, strop, repeat until as sharp as I want it. I keep most of my knives with a nice, sharp, but easily maintained working edge. Shaving sharp is good, hair popping sharp is unnecessary for most tasks. If I am doing a lot of cutting ofr cardboard or plastic, I will strop the blade on the cardboard after every ten-fifteen cuts. It keeps the edge up for that kind of work.

-Rob

I've been working on a rotary sharpener that will attach to a cordless drill for those of us without a need for a belt sander that can be hand cranked if necessary. Something small enough to be woods portable. If this thread is still up when/if I finish it I'll post pics here.

I work in the Alaska commercial fishing industry and we use Victorinox disposable knives for 99% of our knife work now. There are simply too many other good uses of your time than sharpening a knife. I do like a good quality knife though. I tend to use extra coarse diamond stone until burr and extra fine diamond for polish. A good quality large sized screwdriver makes a good steel. Finding/developing the burr properly and not using too much pressure on the polish seems to be the key. I like the magic marker trick, will try.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Another interesting website. Those brass handle sharpeners look very useful.
    I find them to be very handy. They are also the only thing I've found that's relatively easy to get a good edge on my stainless Randall. After they wear down a bit, I leave one in the kitchen drawer for house knives, and touch up my carry stuff as needed. The newest one stays in the truck to be handy out and about. Have one in the go pack and the heavy camp stuff that lives in the back of the truck also.

And one in my work tools,...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Yes I've been there and looked at a variety of methods. I'm just curious what people here use. Edge pro gets the highest number of satisfied comments and recommendations there.
    For sure there are some people there really into it. I saw a 400x microscope photo of a single strand of hair that had been split but was still attached. Gives a new meaning to the definition of sharp.
    Apologies, I was unclear, I use all of the ones I mentioned.
    I also learned angles on flat stones.
    Misanthropist is right that this helps with power methods.
    Last edited by 1slow; 11-29-2014 at 01:43 PM.

User Tag List