Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Volund Gearworks vs Wilderness Tactical

Atlas Ghook on order. This forum always costs me money!

I've heard a surprising amount of people complain about the G-hook over the years. If you just yank at it like a monkey on a leash you are going to have issues; as orion said, just have to find the right angle and you're good.

I'll throw the change up. I have a Wilderness CSM instructors and a 1.25" double ring (aluminum rings), now called frequent fliers belt. I vastly prefer the double ring model, it can get much tighter and just fits me better and adjusts so much easier. The only downside is the 1.25" standard thickness can't carry a lot of gear. I have been thinking of ordering a CSM, 1.5", double ring model for myself. I see they are on-sale for Christmas too...hmmm.

I got my Atlas belt a couple nights ago and was just able to try it on last night.

Other than it being way too big (my mistake) I very much like the belt.

I noticed the belt was very low profile and the G-Hook is secure. The material was soft (would not dig into sides like sometimes stiffer belts like Ares Ranger or CSM lined Wilderness would) but the belt is still very stiff from top to bottom.

I will be returning the belt for a smaller size and am excited to get it back to start getting to put it through its paces.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    I got my Atlas belt a couple nights ago and was just able to try it on last night.

Other than it being way too big (my mistake) I very much like the belt.

I noticed the belt was very low profile and the G-Hook is secure. The material was soft (would not dig into sides like sometimes stiffer belts like Ares Ranger or CSM lined Wilderness would) but the belt is still very stiff from top to bottom.

I will be returning the belt for a smaller size and am excited to get it back to start getting to put it through its paces.
    Atlas Cobra ordered last night. What size did you order and what length did you get when you did the measurement?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Atlas Cobra ordered last night. What size did you order and what length did you get when you did the measurement?
    I went off my sizing for my Wilderness, which was probably not the thing to do.

I wear a Large size Wilderness with no gear so I was going to order a XXL Wilderness to accommodate for gear and leave some extra room.

That is when I decided to order the Volund G-Hook.

I ordered the XXL because of my thinking above and it did not work and was WAY too big.

I exchanged it for a XL, which was still too big (even with my gun, extra mag and knife on it).

Exchanged that for a Large size G-Hook which fits me perfectly.

I probably should have just measured in the first place and would have saved myself a couple bucks, but I was able to find the correct size now and am very pleased.

I wear a Large size Wilderness with no gear so I was going to order a XXL Wilderness to accommodate for gear and leave some extra room.

That is when I decided to order the Volund G-Hook.

I ordered the XXL because of my thinking above and it did not work and was WAY too big.

I exchanged it for a XL, which was still too big (even with my gun, extra mag and knife on it).

Exchanged that for a Large size G-Hook which fits me perfectly.

I probably should have just measured in the first place and would have saved myself a couple bucks, but I was able to find the correct size now and am very pleased.

I'm 5'8 and FAT
    I wear 38W wrangler cargo shorts/pants
    Size 42 Wilderness 5 stitch (without insert )

able to IWB 2 handguns and extra mags. But don't.

I mainly carry a P30S/APL Gen 2 in a custom IWB-Light holster special made by Tony/JM at 3:00

I use Wilderness horizontal mag holder Option B to carry spare 15rd mags . between 11 and 12:00 and another IF needed between 12 and 1:00

I don't care for the other belts because of the buckle .

My Wilderness 5 stitch (WITHOUT PLASTIC INSERT) Belt

I wear a Large size Wilderness
    Does Wilderness Tactical list their belts as "Large"? Don't they sell by actual numbers, 38, 40, etc.? Mine came that way at least.
    Rich wrote,
    I wear 38W wrangler cargo shorts/pants
    Size 42 Wilderness 5 stitch (without insert )
    That's been my experience, that a belt measurement will be 3"-4" bigger than your jeans waist size.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Does Wilderness Tactical list their belts as "Large"? Don't they sell by actual numbers, 38, 40, etc.? Mine came that way at least.
    They offer a choice nowadays: numbered sizes AND large/Xlarge etc..

The latter allow more room for adjustment if you are unsure of your size or if your size .. err.. changes suddenly (yeah let's go with that)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    They offer a choice nowadays: numbered sizes AND large/Xlarge etc..

The latter allow more room for adjustment if you are unsure of your size or if your size .. err.. changes suddenly (yeah let's go with that)
    Yup, they offer both.

I got the EZ Fit or whatever they call it to allow for more room to adjust.

My original problem was years ago when I bought the belt I did not take into account to leave some extra space for gun, mags etc so the belt fits when I don't have any gear on but doesn't fit with gear that is carried everyday.

This is what made me go in search of a larger size/ another belt option in the first place...

User Tag List