Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volund Gearworks vs Wilderness Tactical

Volund Gearworks vs Wilderness Tactical

I currently have a Wilderness CSM Instructor belt and am happy with it but it is time for another belt purchase.

I was looking at the Volund Gearworks G-Hook Atlas belt for trying out and wondering who prefers which and why?

I have seen good reviews of the Volund on here which was making me want to give it a shot possibly.

This wil be specificly for appendix carry.

Thanks

I used an instructor style belt for years until I switched to AIWB. I found the buckle would print and/or interfere with the holster position unless I wore the buckle a bit off center. Not a big deal except the buckle would then interfere with the clinch pick.

Additionally, at the time of the switch I would need to take the gun off when getting to work, and that's a lot if undoing/redoing Velcro. With the g hook on the a atlas belt I just undo the g hook and don't worry about the Velcro.

For me, the low profile and easy, non wearing g hook is s great solution.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Site Supporter
    I use the Atlas G-Hook for AIWB and his cobra belt for OWB. I much prefer it the the Wilderness as I got a hotspot offsetting the buckle for AIWB. The belts and service ade top notch.

I love my Wilderness and will sometimes use it for certain ride height pants. Recently I ordered one of the Volund G-Hook Slim belts to see if it can serve the Wilderness role along with removing the buckle which posed the problems mentioned above. So far so good. I wouldn't run and sell a Wilderness if it worked as they are still the belt all others are trying to beat but there are two solid options from Volund that I think cover the bases.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've never had a wilderness. I do have a 511 tactical series belt that I pick up on an impulse buy. Got it because it looked like a copy of the wilderness 5 stitch.

I greatly prefer the g hook to the bulky riggers style buckle. The Atlas is somewhat stiffer than the 511, which I don't like quite as much(but if you're happy with the CSM you might). For my purposes an Atlas belt that had the webbing of a wilderness style belt would be the best of both worlds.

Edit to add: I did not know about the atlas slim belt. I will be ordering that for sure.

Anybody having problems with the way the Atlas belt snugs down (the hook then pull tighter method I guess you could say) and putting an appendix holster on, specifically with a fixed belt loop?

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I've never had a wilderness. I do have a 511 tactical series belt that I pick up on an impulse buy. Got it because it looked like a copy of the wilderness 5 stitch.

I greatly prefer the g hook to the bulky riggers style buckle. The Atlas is somewhat stiffer than the 511, which I don't like quite as much(but if you're happy with the CSM you might). For my purposes an Atlas belt that had the webbing of a wilderness style belt would be the best of both worlds.

Edit to add: I did not know about the atlas slim belt. I will be ordering that for sure.
    The 5.11 belt does not use the same webbing that the Wilderness does. Wilderness has their own webbing that rocks. a G-hook belt made from that webbing could be ermahgerd.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat View Post
    Anybody having problems with the way the Atlas belt snugs down (the hook then pull tighter method I guess you could say) and putting an appendix holster on, specifically with a fixed belt loop?
    Yes. The trick is to push the tail away from you. I had made a video at some point showing this. The G-hook has a little more limited angle range in which the material will slide to allow the user to tighten it. You will need to find this angle and work within it. Once you figure it out there is no thinking but it can be a PITA if ya don't.

I had seen the video you made Orionz06 but if I remember correctly were you using a Pull the Dot setup?

I was assuming the Pull The Dots would work normally as you would just put the belt on normally and then attach the holster via the PTD over the belt.

I guess I was wondering if a fixed belt loop caused tightening the belt to become more difficult because the holster is on and attached to the belt before the belt is fully tightened?

Shouldn't. As long as the belt can slide inside the loop you'll be fine. It may dictate a temporary position to tighten but it won't stop people from making it tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The 5.11 belt does not use the same webbing that the Wilderness does. Wilderness has their own webbing that rocks. a G-hook belt made from that webbing could be ermahgerd.
    Off the top of your head, do you think it would be a waste of time to ask volund to attempt to custom make this? I imagine people have probably requested this before. Is there an obvious reason it's not already a thing?

User Tag List