Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: I love 3" Smith Revolvers

Site Supporter
    And no targets either...

Ooops. Sorry.

Chopped 67. Cut down, DX sight w Dawson tritium front sight and reprofiled by Hatari Firearms LLC.
    Last edited by Lon; 04-07-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Been playing around taking different gun pics. Here’s some more 3” K goodness. 65-3 DAO. Lobo Gun Leather Enhanced Avenger w/ some elephant skin added. Has one of the sweetest DAO triggers I’ve felt.

Name:  48B4A7E2-7360-4588-ACC2-46054E03D73A.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  55.6 KB
    Name:  2F2D7924-2E15-4887-B1CB-B3DDE2DE55BD.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  48.6 KB
    Name:  6AF597EF-CC0A-420F-9F4C-789361CF4E78.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  49.4 KB
    Name:  8F80B485-340A-476B-8FE2-E6F853FA6B7D.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  48.0 KB
    Last edited by Lon; 04-07-2019 at 09:44 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Been really liking all the 3" K frame guns. Checking the regular places, they all seem pretty far out of my budget.

Curiosity strikes. Numrich. Website says they had 3" model 10 barrels. A call to check condition reveals pretty good condition, for the one single one they had. It arrived a few days later.

More checking over time reveals occasional deals on pretty thrashed 4" model 10s. I save up, and spring for one. A fair bit under 2 bills. When it arrived, it looked like it had been in somebodys tool box and driven around on dirt roads a lot, all the edges were nicked and rough. The bore was nasty, upon cleaning, it showed 2 rings or bulges. Oh well, not important. I ended up blueing it at a friends and giving it to a friend that was a retired fed for a pen holder on his desk. i think i bought another barrel from him once that used to be in the pen holder base.

So, the project 10-6 had a smooth trigger, Im not a fan, however, it also had one of the nicest actions ive felt in a very long time, so I guess Ill try to get used to it. The gun was also in perfect time. Time to get tools out on the log cabin porch gunsmithing shop. I swapped barrels, the new one indexed by hand to exactly the same angle as the original barrel, which was VERY tight, so it looked like it was going to torque OK. Screwing it in and checking indexing, it ended up about an inch off windage wise at about 20 yards. i can live with that for now. It took a bit of filing and stoning on the forcing cone to get the gap correct. The end shake is good, i think I shimmed it slightly. So far this is coming along nicely.

Name:  10 project 1.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  10 project 2.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  10 project 3.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  100.5 KB

I kept thinking of the old Pachmayr round butt grips that were on the 2 1/2" 19 I foolishly sold years ago. Hmm,

Name:  10 project 4.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  10 project 5.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  75.1 KB

I ended up with some Hogue Bantams in black rubber. I didnt care for how much filler (tall wise) they put behind the trigger guard, it made the pistol feel like it was sitting really high. I filed that filler area some to approximate what the Pachmayrs and factory targets feel like and removed the square edges of the filler area. The finger grooves didnt fit right after changing the filler area, so,... the finger bumps went away. I had some cell phone pics but cant find them. Ill try to remember to take some soon.

I havent had time to remove the grinder marks on the backstrap, but may later this summer. I also have a different cylinder that Im planning on fitting. It may cause consternation if I mention details, though Im satisfied from what Ive leaned that it will be fine in that period of model 10. If the cylinder gap grows noticeably, Ill modify my use accordingly. The barrel underside will be marked accordingly.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-07-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Havent had time to edit out the interesting blueish color my old cell phone give pictures, but heres the general idea. Some of the finish of the gun shows a bit better also. The grips need a bit more finish work, but its usable now.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    13-3

Name:  C451CA51-ACFD-4163-83BC-1134AA1D484E.jpeg
Views: 768
Size:  76.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Havent had time to edit out the interesting blueish color my old cell phone give pictures, but heres the general idea. Some of the finish of the gun shows a bit better also. The grips need a bit more finish work, but its usable now.
    Are you removing the finger groove from rubber Hogues? How??

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Been really liking all the 3" K frame guns. Checking the regular places, they all seem pretty far out of my budget.

Curiosity strikes. Numrich. Website says they had 3" model 10 barrels. A call to check condition reveals pretty good condition, for the one single one they had. It arrived a few days later.

More checking over time reveals occasional deals on pretty thrashed 4" model 10s. I save up, and spring for one. A fair bit under 2 bills. When it arrived, it looked like it had been in somebodys tool box and driven around on dirt roads a lot, all the edges were nicked and rough. The bore was nasty, upon cleaning, it showed 2 rings or bulges. Oh well, not important. I ended up blueing it at a friends and giving it to a friend that was a retired fed for a pen holder on his desk. i think i bought another barrel from him once that used to be in the pen holder base.

So, the project 10-6 had a smooth trigger, Im not a fan, however, it also had one of the nicest actions ive felt in a very long time, so I guess Ill try to get used to it. The gun was also in perfect time. Time to get tools out on the log cabin porch gunsmithing shop. I swapped barrels, the new one indexed by hand to exactly the same angle as the original barrel, which was VERY tight, so it looked like it was going to torque OK. Screwing it in and checking indexing, it ended up about an inch off windage wise at about 20 yards. i can live with that for now. It took a bit of filing and stoning on the forcing cone to get the gap correct. The end shake is good, i think I shimmed it slightly. So far this is coming along nicely.

Name:  10 project 1.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  99.9 KB
    Name:  10 project 2.jpg
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  10 project 3.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  100.5 KB

I kept thinking of the old Pachmayr round butt grips that were on the 2 1/2" 19 I foolishly sold years ago. Hmm,

Name:  10 project 4.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  10 project 5.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  75.1 KB

I ended up with some Hogue Bantams in black rubber. I didnt care for how much filler (tall wise) they put behind the trigger guard, it made the pistol feel like it was sitting really high. I filed that filler area some to approximate what the Pachmayrs and factory targets feel like and removed the square edges of the filler area. The finger grooves didnt fit right after changing the filler area, so,... the finger bumps went away. I had some cell phone pics but cant find them. Ill try to remember to take some soon.

I havent had time to remove the grinder marks on the backstrap, but may later this summer. I also have a different cylinder that Im planning on fitting. It may cause consternation if I mention details, though Im satisfied from what Ive leaned that it will be fine in that period of model 10. If the cylinder gap grows noticeably, Ill modify my use accordingly. The barrel underside will be marked accordingly.
    Very cool project.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Are you removing the finger groove from rubber Hogues? How??

I think i used a medium/coarse wood file (flat on one side and rounded on the other) to rough shape it then an emory board, and a sanding block with 150 grit sandpaper, maybe 120? It was last fall, not positive on the details. I was concerned about hitting the plastic subframe or whatever the core is called, but havent run into it yet.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-12-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Grassy ass! I've got to try that on my LCR grip, I could really do without that single damn finger groove.

User Tag List