Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: I love 3" Smith Revolvers

Very nice. Those are 5 shots?

Yep, 5 shot .44 special.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That would be a decent carry gun when you head to NY--though I probably wouldn't want to take a chance on battering those grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    That would be a decent carry gun when you head to NY--though I probably wouldn't want to take a chance on battering those grips.
    That is the problem....travel with not easily replaced guns is a no-go. The 696's are rare. They have a disturbingly thin forcing come that is scary to look at, so I don't put them in a gun I would want to shoot a lot category, and then add some very hard to get custom grips and it becomes a "pride of ownership and carry to the store" gun. One gun I could really wrap my head around to carry as a serious revolver is my 3" 66-4. Again, not replaceable.
    This is the appeal of Smith's newer gun with locks.....I am not attached to them and I can easily replace them. They tend to work fine in things that are not hard recoiling, and are very politically correct for travel to places that despise the idea of guns, and semi auto translates to "machine gun".
    I am picking up a 2" model 64 this week that is getting some mild customization and is going to be a small fanny pack and back pocket revolver. Easily replaced, and that may end up traveling with me as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I am picking up a 2" model 64
    Got a smoking deal on one of those many moons ago and was shocked to see how easily those 2 inch K-frames run. I was sort of expecting J-frame but bigger, not a K-frame that merely needed you to pay more attention to the sights when I shot it. I just wish I had purchased several sets of the Uncle Mike's K-frame round butt Boot grips, as opposed to the only set I have.

I am going to start with Eagle Secret Service grips and go from there. I often end up going through a bunch of different stocks to try to get things just right for each revolver.

Tried the Eagle smooth stocks.. Looked great, but I need the checkering down here in South Kackalacky.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    That is the problem....travel with not easily replaced guns is a no-go. The 696's are rare. They have a disturbingly thin forcing come that is scary to look at, so I don't put them in a gun I would want to shoot a lot category, and then add some very hard to get custom grips and it becomes a "pride of ownership and carry to the store" gun. One gun I could really wrap my head around to carry as a serious revolver is my 3" 66-4. Again, not replaceable.
    This is the appeal of Smith's newer gun with locks.....I am not attached to them and I can easily replace them. They tend to work fine in things that are not hard recoiling, and are very politically correct for travel to places that despise the idea of guns, and semi auto translates to "machine gun".
    I am picking up a 2" model 64 this week that is getting some mild customization and is going to be a small fanny pack and back pocket revolver. Easily replaced, and that may end up traveling with me as well.
    3" 686+ (7 shot) are a standard catalog item now. I bought one of the recent unfluted Talo variants. The machine work on the extractor was unimpressive with a few metal chips/shavings still attached. DA trigger was bad. SA was great, and the gun cleaned up really well. Had to put a little work in it, but I'm really digging it now.

Maybe worth looking into. Might feel wrong at first to put it in a nice holster you bought for your 696 or use the nice grips you bought for it... but it does seem pragmatic.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A no-dash 696 is my only 3" revolver.

(Had to take it from a post elsewhere, because I can't seem to be able to upload images.)

Well, if you are going to have one 3"....A 696 is a great option.

In today's installment of revolver goodness. A 3" 66-3, Kurac Cocobolo Combats, and SD Myres Tom Threepersons holster. Rare gun, Rare Grips, and likely the only SD Myres holster ever done specifically for a 3" model 66.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List