Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: I love 3" Smith Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I figured there would be folks here who would know the answer. I had always assumed that we were dealing with handloads in which someone forgot to put the powder in, resulting in a bullet just slightly down the barrel and a second bullet contacting it. However, I had not realized that people were loading target wadcutters in .357 mag cases. (Now, I did know a lot of people who loaded hollow based wadcutters backwards in a .357 mag case, but they always loaded to a pretty maximum charge. The leading was phenomenal, as was their effect on groundhogs, but I doubt they penetrated too far).
    Jeep, the detonation issue was also present in .38 Special cases.

The "wadcutters in .357 cases" wasn't that prevalent; a lot of folks, like me, tried it and discovered the drawbacks out-weighed the advantages.

OTOH, loading Speer hollow base wadcutters backwards, over a healthy charge of Unique or 230P (pre-cursor to 231), WAS quite prevalent in some circles; in both .38 and .357 brass.

What is the knife in the upper right corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

PC640 and PC13, from back in the Liebenberg/French Performance Center days...

In today's edition of "where does he get this stuff", behold.....the mega rare S&W Model 10-10 3" Brazilian. This is an in the box commercial overrun example. Tam will appreciate the grips that further up the "I hate you" ante.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    In today's edition of "where does he get this stuff", behold.....the mega rare S&W Model 10-10 3" Brazilian. This is an in the box commercial overrun example. Tam will appreciate the grips that further up the "I hate you" ante.
    OK now that's cool! Is that a 19's barrel? And where DO you find these jewels.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    OK now that's cool! Is that a 19's barrel? And where DO you find these jewels.
    Nope, that is a 100% factory gun. I "think" they were based on the fixed sight Model 19's done for the French, but the Brazilians wanted the .38.

Where do I get this stuff........addiction is a curse, and the internet is a horrible enabler. This is the kind of stuff I used to prowl gun shows for.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Nope, that is a 100% factory gun. I "think" they were based on the fixed sight Model 19's done for the French, but the Brazilians wanted the .38.

Where do I get this stuff........addiction is a curse, and the internet is a horrible enabler. This is the kind of stuff I used to prowl gun shows for.

No kidding.

Really really like that Brazilian model, including the spurious hammer.

For some reason, I can envision that gun with diamond RB service grips and a grip adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    No kidding.

Really really like that Brazilian model, including the spurious hammer.

For some reason, I can envision that gun with diamond RB service grips and a grip adapter.
    I have the diamond RB's and the adaptor as well in the box. Those factory Banana Targets just feel great. Why Smith didn't build a zillion of them is baffling.

Cool.

It makes sense to leave it alone, as its a collectible rare gun. I recall seeing the banana grips for sale here and there back in the day, but its been a while.

In my case, it would be something I cobbled together. I happen to have a spare 19 barrel that could be cut, if I stumbled across a workable donor gun. Really like the thin barrel guns also, like the nickel one posted earlier.

I am going to take the little 10-5 with the standard barrel and Nill's with me to Phoenix this week and likely drop it at Robar. Of all the ones I posted, it is really the most likely to get carried. For a 250.00 initial investment, it has been a good little shooter.

My revolvers are really my sort of fun guns these days rather than daily carry hardware, but I have been driving around with it as a car gun a bunch lately as I have been wearing heavier clothing. I sort of have to make excuses to carry them, but I have been trying. The more time I spend to doing dry-practice with the 686SSR has led to a bigger appreciation for all my cool revolvers.

That is an extremely nice revolver. I can't hate someone for having great taste in firearms or for building a collection like yours, (I am, of course, envious), but I will ask that you keep posting photos for the rest of us to drool over. They are very drool-worthy revolvers.

User Tag List