Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: I love 3" Smith Revolvers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    3” 13 and 65’s.
    @Dagga Boy, what grips are those?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    @Dagga Boy, what grips are those?
    All Spegels. Top are customs and the bottom the rubber Uncle Mikes version.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    24-3 in .44 Special

Name:  IMG_0205.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  71.2 KB

Two S&W

Two S&W and a Ruger.Name:  3 Chiefs Special.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  98.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    GOD BLESSED TEXAS

Name:  20200607_140447.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  66.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  50.3 KB

3" Model 66 with Karl Nill SW039 stocks. Beadblast, melt job and chamfering by Sokol. Trigger job and hammer profile by Sandy Garrett at Northern Virginia Gunworks.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

3" is all the rage. I once scored a very nice model 19 snubbie from a guy that was selling some nice K frame revolvers to catch the 3' wave. No doubt they have the balance that everyone wants in a K but he was selling some high grade K's to finance the latest trend.

Jeezus, a model 19-3 with a 2 1/2" barrel is a a classic that won't ever be duplicated. I would have purchased that pistol for a lot more than he was asking.

I have this theory. 1 7/8" J frames, 2 1/2 K frames and 4" N frames are the gold standard going forward. 3" K frames are desirable because they're scarce.

Not raining on anyone's parade I hope.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    3" K frames are desirable because they're scarce.

Not raining on anyone's parade I hope.
    Full length ejector rod is probably the most practical reason why 3" barrels are better than 2.5"

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Full length ejector rod is probably the most practical reason why 3" barrels are better than 2.5"
    I never thought about that. I have a 3" model 31-1 that I like a lot. I'm not sure it has a FL ejector rod, probably doesn't, I'll have to check.

Anyway, I've never noticed any problems ejecting brass with my model 19 snubbie but I suppose it could be an issue. I pull the cylinder from the frame when I clean the gun and clean that the same way I do the barrel. Hoppes, brush, patch until I can no longer see anything on a patch. Then I examine with a light.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I never thought about that. I have a 3" model 31-1 that I like a lot. I'm not sure it has a FL ejector rod, probably doesn't, I'll have to check.

Anyway, I've never noticed any problems ejecting brass with my model 19 snubbie but I suppose it could be an issue. I pull the cylinder from the frame when I clean the gun and clean that the same way I do the barrel. Hoppes, brush, patch until I can no longer see anything on a patch. Then I examine with a light.
    If you're ejecting the brass in a leisurely manner at the range, it's no biggie. If you're in a hurry, though - think competition or a fight - the shorter ejector rod doesn't reliably extract the fired brass, especially with .357s, and dirty chambers exacerbate the issue.

User Tag List