Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: I love 3" Smith Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    New update to this threa. Well tuned 3” Model 65-5...with Craig Spegel deluxe Cocobollo and JRC horse hide and Cape Buffalo.....it is glorious.
    That’s beautiful.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Here’s my less glorious version of DB’s 65-5. Mine has what I think (but can’t prove) are Hurst stocks and JRC horsehide. I need to get it to a competent smith to smooth out the action and correct the leftward point of impact.

Name:  A0F61863-0A69-4DDB-9B4C-59F33033E3A7.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  72.0 KBName:  1A498BFB-4F38-478B-A8FA-1CC9E408EC2E.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  68.6 KB
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

A while ago, locally, a fellow had a very clean 60-4 for sale for a very reasonable price. He was also entertaining trade offers including 9mm Glocks. I have a fairly clean Gen 3 Glock 34 I was willing to part with, and I was willing to kick in a little cash (along with a small pile of accessories and magazines)... but after a day to think about it, he declined my trade offer. I was pretty bummed about it. I occasionally check gunbroker... and I am keeping my eyes peeled when I visit local gun shops, but that particular model is somewhat rare.

ETA: I think the fact that the full underlug makes them look like a mini-686 Is what gets me going about them.
    Last edited by WDR; 07-22-2018 at 08:02 PM.

My EDC Model 64

I always felt the 3.5" N Frame Smiths were among the best looking revolvers ever made.

Great Odin's beard...that's one gorgeous revolver!

M65 and M66

Need to adjust the sights to the left just a bit

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    I always felt the 3.5" N Frame Smiths were among the best looking revolvers ever made.
    I agree. I think that’s the best looking barrel length in proportion to frame size, just as 3” is my favorite barrel length for a K Frame. Your example is beautiful. The bluing is so deep I can get lost in it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I agree. I think that’s the best looking barrel length in proportion to frame size, just as 3” is my favorite barrel length for a K Frame. Your example is beautiful. The bluing is so deep I can get lost in it.
    Thanks.

Yes, the Registered Magnums were really nicely built and finished. Probably the best revolvers S&W ever manufactured.

Here's one a little "newer". Its a Pre-27 from 1950. S&W really did some nice bluing back then...

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    My EDC Model 64

I spent some number of my early adult years with just a 4" DAO model 64 as my only handgun. I could probably do most of what I need to do with that gun (and I still have a tuned, DAO 4" 64 NY-1) and your 3" version. Maybe I should sell everything but my 4" 64, my 3" 65, and buy another 3" 64 and use the money for dovetail sights, training, and ammo. Probably be happier with less calibers to stock, and less chaos inside my maxed-to-the-gills safe.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-24-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List