Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546

Thread: I love 3" Smith Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by R89074 View Post
    Model 60 3 inch are hard to find. Several runs of 3 inch square butt done in 1980s.
    Sort of. Search gunbroker for 60-15 and there's always 40 or 50 of them. Of course those are target sighted, j magnum framed, round butt, and with the lock. Any of which folks might find disqualifying. I shot a rental one a few years back and it was a fairly nice pistol. Thought about getting one but decided the size made it a belt or bedside gun and I have better choices for both. Then again I still intermittently hanker for one of the 5" 60-18's. Go figure.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Sort of. Search gunbroker for 60-15 and there's always 40 or 50 of them. Of course those are target sighted, j magnum framed, round butt, and with the lock. Any of which folks might find disqualifying. I shot a rental one a few years back and it was a fairly nice pistol. Thought about getting one but decided the size made it a belt or bedside gun and I have better choices for both. Then again I still intermittently hanker for one of the 5" 60-18's. Go figure.
    Many years ago they made a 3" heavy lugged barrel 36 (blued) with adjustable sights in 38 spl. I wish I had been interested at the time, last I looked they were in the "George Washingtons personal model 36" category of stupid priced, or nearly so.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Many years ago they made a 3" heavy lugged barrel 36 (blued) with adjustable sights in 38 spl. I wish I had been interested at the time, last I looked they were in the "George Washingtons personal model 36" category of stupid priced, or nearly so.
    36-6. I have one, on bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

Cool. Neat little guns. They seem like a good "kit gun" type for knocking about in the hills, or just a capable shooter thats compact.

I had a 36-1 long ago, a 3" nickel fixed sight, but they arent as simple to zero obviously.

That size gun is a good application for the Pachmayr compac grips.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    They also made a Model 60 in that configuration. I had one but it got away.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    They also made a Model 60 in that configuration. I had one but it got away.

Okie John

There seems to be far more of the stainless version around. The earlier ones were 38 spl, later ones are all 357 so far as I know. My regret has to do with my preference for blued guns. My unlike of stainless is deep enough it prevents me from giving serious consideration to many guns only available in stainless and having dsiposed of several guns because I virtuallu never used or carried them because they were stainless.

Another very desirable gun in the less than full size/camp and small game capable class is the Colt Diamondback in 2 1/2 or 4", but thats not the focus of this thread. I deeply regret not buying a 2 1/2" 38 Diamondback that was at a pawn shop many years ago, it was badly out of time and I had no knowledge of how to work on them at the time. It was $300-something. In the deep regret vein, I had a 4" 22 Diamondback in the mid 80s I sold for around $225 I believe. It was much more useful and easier to shoot really well than the Smith 22 kit gun I had around the same period while a little lighter than a K frame Smith.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

60 is very common. The blued 36-6 was only made in 1989.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List