Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: wadcutter in snubbie

wadcutter in snubbie

I see from several recent threads that many here have begun to carry (or perhaps always have carried) wadcutters, especially in airweights or lighter. I think I understand the reasons...

Expansion of HPs from a sub-2" barrel is iffy at best, especially if it's cold out, even with the newer, designer rounds (SBGD, CD, DPX).
    A HP that fails to expand offers less wounding than a WC.
    Recoil of these +P rounds in airweights can make follow up shots slower and less accurate.

In recent range work using my M-642, I find the SBGD to be plenty accurate, but recoil is not fun and fast follow up shots tend to open up more than I want. The CD and the DPX are a little softer shooting, but not significantly so. However, follow up shots do tend to be a little tighter. WCs are a breeze. Easy to shoot with fast and tight follow up shots.

One thing to note - the above results have not been universal for me. Earlier range work yielded less accuracy from the CD (did not have any DPX at the time). This time around, I shot everything better, even though it was cold, wet, and I have a shoulder injury. Go figure.

With this in mind, I've ordered some Federal 148gr WCs as well as some BB 150gr WCs to test, but I was wondering...

1) Does the increased velocity of the BB offer significantly better intermediate barrier penetration over the slower "target" WCs? How does either fair vs the FBI testing protocol?

2) Does the increased penetration of any WC (and especially the heavier BB) offer enough risk of over penetration and injury to a bystander to offset its softer shooting and increased accuracy characteristics?

3) Does the increased velocity of the BB WC round offer enough of an advantage over the slower Federal, Winchester or Remington WC to offset Doctor Roberts' admonition to
    consider sticking with ammo manufacturers that have large government contracts and QC controls in place, as that ammo is likely to be built much better than the average boutique/small scale vendor or reloader. Typically that means sticking with duty/defensive ammo from ATK (Federal and Speer), Black Hills, Hornady, Remington, and Winchester.

1. Yes, a bit better--but it is a J-frame intended for up close back-up use...

2. No, worry more about missed shots.

3. No. Same admonition applies.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I think the BB WC is almost guaranteed to exit except on VERY large people, or bears, etc., due to construction and velocity, which may or may not be a problem for you depending on the situation.

The few standard WC shootings I have seen leaves the bullet lodged on the far side of the torso. I don't count on WCs to get through anything but the lightest barriers.

Site Supporter
    Can anyone recommend vendors which regularly stock WC?

I never see them locally.

These are very good questions and excellent answers. I know of no other site with this kind of expertise so rapidly available.

Site Supporter
    Also is there a different SKU number for the standard 38 +p GDHP vs the Short Barrel GDHP?

Doctor - thank you for your answers. Short, concise, and to the point. And extremely helpful.

Chuck - I have a question for you regarding the following...
    I don't count on WCs to get through anything but the lightest barriers.
    Could you please define what kind of barriers? What stops the WC?

HCH - I don't know the SKU number, but the short barrel Gold Dot in .38 is 135gr. The 125gr is not the short barrel version. Both are +P.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Doctor - thank you for your answers. Short, concise, and to the point. And extremely helpful.

Chuck - I have a question for you regarding the following... Could you please define what kind of barriers? What stops the WC?

HCH - I don't know the SKU number, but the short barrel Gold Dot in .38 is 135gr. The 125gr is not the short barrel version. Both are +P.
    Plywood or Sheetrock would be light barriers. I've seen wadcutters penetrate that pretty well, but nothing much heavier.

.38 sp target wadcutters do NOT do well against car windows.

On the other hand, hard cast, full power .45 Colt wadcutters are great against windshields...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

What ^those^ guys said.

WCs work well against heavy clothing, plywood, sheetrock, etc. Car doors and windshields not so much.

I've done testing at our range involving plywood and such, similar to what the author did in this article; http://www.dynamicforceinstitute.com...Wadcutters.pdf

before I started carrying WCs in my BUGs. I'm comfortable with the level of penetration for what I want my BUGs to do.

Totally non scientific (except that it's repeatable and such....) but a Remington "Target" WC from my 642 will go through the side of a brand new steel 55gal drum and still exit a water filled gallon milk jug. It will also go through a pine 2x4 and through two water filled milk jugs.

User Tag List