Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Reset - The Discussion

Banned
    It's a real testament to this forum that this discussion isn't getting heated. Try telling some old Gunsite guys that you don't "ride the link." You better have two escape plans and someone who expects you home at a certain time, otherwise you may die of old age before they're finished telling you all the ways you're wrong.

Site Supporter
    I do something in between letting the trigger all the way out and letting it out to some point slightly ahead of the reset point. I never come all the way off the trigger, but I don't consciously try to get my finger to a certain point because, for me, this always slows me down due to the increased tension it causes in my trigger finger.

I'll give my opinion from the Vickers Shooting Method POV.

When teaching newer shooters, I make it a point to teach a very definite hard reset - press the trigger and hold it to the rear, after the weapon cycles let the trigger out to reset and no further.

Now the trick is... once my students understand the whole concept of the trigger and how it resets and that lightbulb goes off, it's time to wean them off just as fast and get them into resetting the trigger during recoil.

Remember I deal with fundamental level shooters (and so far my track record in getting them up to speed is pretty good) so guys like Todd, nyeti, and SLG may be referring to a little bit of a higher level technique... which I am all for exploring when you get there skill-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Now the trick is... once my students understand the whole concept of the trigger and how it resets and that lightbulb goes off, it's time to wean them off just as fast and get them into resetting the trigger during recoil.
    FWIW I think that this might be the most important part. Whether you ride the trigger or "slap" it as long as you're ready to shoot as soon as an acceptable sight picture is acquired after recoil, I'm not sure how you got there matters as much. This is assuming the results are positive.

For me, coming off the trigger during recoil made me faster and more accurate.
    Last edited by JConn; 07-30-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'll give my opinion from the Vickers Shooting Method POV.

When teaching newer shooters, I make it a point to teach a very definite hard reset - press the trigger and hold it to the rear, after the weapon cycles let the trigger out to reset and no further.

Remember I deal with fundamental level shooters (and so far my track record in getting them up to speed is pretty good) so guys like Todd, nyeti, and SLG may be referring to a little bit of a higher level technique... which I am all for exploring when you get there skill-wise.
    This is one of the best things I got from LAV. I was in an invite only advanced marksmanship class and another well established instructor and I both had the light bulb with Larry that we were capable of resetting during recoil. We had been teaching the hard reset for so long to our students that we were constantly in "demo" mode. Larry's accuracy standards combined with his evil timer forced us to compress what we did to keep our rounds in the black on the bullseye targets while still beating the timer requirements. For what its worth, an instructor from a well known NSW unit know for training with the competition folks could never keep up in the class. He had some of the fastest "twitch" reflexes I have ever seen, and was un-Godly fast.....he just couldn't make the accuracy side. Everybody is a little different in what works for them. For me, the reset is part of my follow through, and is a "control" issue for me. I have full control on the trigger, but I also look at every single shot as a single event and single process. This is not everybody elses world. I guess spending my entire adult life trying to stop cops from "hosing" influences that.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    It's a real testament to this forum that this discussion isn't getting heated. Try telling some old Gunsite guys that you don't "ride the link." You better have two escape plans and someone who expects you home at a certain time, otherwise you may die of old age before they're finished telling you all the ways you're wrong.
    Not sure my comment belongs here in this thread, but this Forum has a very polite tone to it. It is very refreshing to have folks that are serious about this topic, are active shooters, and can discuss things, often disagreeing, while not being disagreeable.

I shot an interesting match yesterday and was thinking about this thread. The match is a memorial for a local shooter who passed last year. He shot all of the different pistol disciplines, so the match is one stage each of: IDPA, USPSA, steel challenge, falling steel, and PPC. In the most of the stages, I used a mix of mashing the crap out of the trigger on close wide open hoser targets and resetting the trigger all the way out but not losing contact with the trigger face on targets needing more accuracy. On the PPC stage, I took advantage of the generous par times to use the traditional ride the reset method. I think all of the methods have a place.

Something I noticed while shooting my LEM USP is that I seemed to be more prone to anticipation if I was consciously riding the reset. I found that I seemed to have fewer issues when allowing the trigger to come back out past reset a bit before initiating another trigger press. Much closer to the partial release others have described than full-on trigger-slapping either way. It's my suspicion that that the extra travel was making the break a bit less obvious to me, hence being less likely to dive the muzzle.

I just try to press and reset the trigger as fast as possible without disturbing the sights beyond what's required to make the shot.
    That may be a deliberate reset or it may be a slap.

double-Tapatalk
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Release to reset. It might not be perfect each time, but that is definitely what I shoot for. I hadn't shot a 1911 in quite a while, but my uncle was in from GA and brought his Wilson. I shot it well and got used to the reset quickly. He started yanking the trigger on our Glocks and didn't get the same positive results. Good trigger discipline and using the reset is transferrable between lots of triggers while poor technique might get you by with one system and be full of fail with another.
    Last edited by Adam; 08-03-2011 at 07:59 AM.

User Tag List