Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock trigger manipulation

Glock trigger manipulation

To cut to the chase, I recently have been manipulating the Glock trigger like a good S&W DA revolver trigger. No prepping, and one continuous press. This has yielded good results at 100 yards, inside 7 yards, and everything I have tried in between. This method works especially well for me with just one hand. I also believe it offers a safety advantage, since you are getting on the trigger later, and skipping the "prep" step during the presentation which could lead to unintended loud noises. I believe the main reason it works well with the Glock trigger is, rather than try to turn the Glock trigger into a poor example of a 1911 trigger, you use the creep in the Glock trigger to give you a compressed surprised break, which minimizes anticipation.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'd like to ask about another aspect of your technique other than trigger press but related. I've been thinking about it a good bit vis a vis Surf's excellent write ups about NOT putting front to rear pressure on the Glock grip. I recalled a few months ago you mentioning shifting from the "rotational torque" grip method to straight front to back. I also do that and have been reinforced in that by a shooting partner who has spent a lot of time with AMU shooters who promote that and my own shooting where shots pushed left are pretty few and far between.

So what's your latest take on that?

I've just started working with your DA wheelie approach. I'm still trying to get a tactile sense of what you're describing.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This where I'm trying to go (and like to be) with the Glock trigger, but I'm so use to prepping it and rising the reset with many thousands of rounds down range that it's getting a little bit frustrating. If you manipulate the trigger as you say I believe this aids in shooting anything other than a Glock mostly if one was switching between lets say TDA triggers and the lock trigger. I just think this technique works better for cross platform shooting. I guess a lot would depend on ones own personal arsenal. I love the Glock and even in a thread of my own here come full circle in looking outside the platform to going right back to it, but I have been experimenting recently with AIWB and even though I know the Glock trigger safety system does what it should when it's my "package" on the line I have to say the extra barrier of a hammer an TDA would lower anxiety a bit. So it is possible I would end up with a TDA for CCW and keep my G17 for gaming thus the desire to focus on manipulating the trigger as you say.......
    Energy goes where attention flows.

I carry a TDA gun with a nine pound trigger.

I shot a VP9 yesterday, and had no problem wearing out a 1" square at six yards treating that SFA trigger like the DA trigger I'm used to.

I believe what GJM posted is the right way to run most triggers.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'd like to ask about another aspect of your technique other than trigger press but related. I've been thinking about it a good bit vis a vis Surf's excellent write ups about NOT putting front to rear pressure on the Glock grip. I recalled a few months ago you mentioning shifting from the "rotational torque" grip method to straight front to back. I also do that and have been reinforced in that by a shooting partner who has spent a lot of time with AMU shooters who promote that and my own shooting where shots pushed left are pretty few and far between.

So what's your latest take on that?

I've just started working with your DA wheelie approach. I'm still trying to get a tactile sense of what you're describing.
    Joe, I don't know about front/back versus rotational grip, except that there is a feeling I have pressing the Glock trigger that I associate in my mind with the trigger going straight back.

In past years, I tried to squeeze the heck out of the Glock. That wasn't just for recoil control, but to keep the sights from moving during the press. Obviously that was a clue I needed to work on my trigger press. In terms of how I developed a smoother press, consider:

1) The wall drill to watch the trigger press and see which technique works best for pressing the trigger without disturbing the sights.

2) Shooting fast groups at 25-100 yards. Comments by Wayne Dobbs in an earlier thread where I was discussing shooting fast groups shaped my thinking.

3) One hand shooting at distance is a good indicator of a smooth press since you don't have the second hand to mask imperfection in your press.

In discussing this with Origami, he presses the trigger in a similar fashion, and describes it as "continuous, increasing pressure." Another thing he says, is you have to have faith when doing it. I agree, especially when using it at, for example, to shoot a group with the Glock at 100 yards, because it so goes against how many folks would try to shoot a group with a rifle off sandbags, by staging the trigger.

I think a lot of people are starting to figure out that staging the trigger and the "surprise break" methodology and concept is a poor way to shoot a handgun. It took me a long time to figure this out, and it's interesting to see others reaching the same conclusion.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is how the new constant pressure feels that is different than the constant pressure that has long been applied in taking up the slack in a Glock trigger then maintaining constant pressure through the break as the trigger weights resistance builds. Is the new continuous pressure breaking all 100 shots in 1 second start to finish? Is time from start to finish a factor in your new method at all? I've assumed so with the references of making 2 sec hunting shots. Or just the feeling of not stopping the increase of pressure a few times during the process to tune the wobble?

Does it feel like making hits on the 3x5 in the 99 drill where there is not much time for slow staging each shot?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I guess what I'm trying to understand is how the new constant pressure feels that is different than the constant pressure that has long been applied in taking up the slack in a Glock trigger then maintaining constant pressure through the break as the trigger weights resistance builds. Is the new continuous pressure breaking all 100 shots in 1 second start to finish? Is time from start to finish a factor in your new method at all? I've assumed so with the references of making 2 sec hunting shots. Or just the feeling of not stopping the increase of pressure a few times during the process to tune the wobble?

Does it feel like making hits on the 3x5 in the 99 drill where there is not much time for slow staging each shot?
    Forget time for a moment.

I used to have (at least) two distinct parts of my Glock trigger press -- the prep to the wall, and then what I did with the rest of the travel to the shot breaking. Doing it that way, I found a few issues. First, it was possible to break a shot early when aggressively going to the wall. Second, the rest of the press after the wall felt like it was more subject to anticipation, especially when shooting a difficult target.

By pressing the entire travel of the trigger in one motion, it takes the wall out, simplifying the press. It also gives me longer travel, (although still way shorter than a revolver) without the potential choke point of the wall, allowing for more of a surprise break. At any point my trigger press stops with a Glock, I might as well start over, because the shot most often is bad on a difficult shot.

This is art not science, and just what I am thinking today.

Joe, I made a quick video showing how I used to work the Glock trigger when, for example, shooting a 25 yard group, and then how I do it now. The Gadget really makes the trigger motion visible from behind.

http://youtu.be/2tj4uXIE8Kc

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I think a lot of people are starting to figure out that staging the trigger and the "surprise break" methodology and concept is a poor way to shoot a handgun. It took me a long time to figure this out, and it's interesting to see others reaching the same conclusion.
    In this case, working trigger a'la short DA does try to create a surprise type of break, but clearly avoids staging.
    It is an interesting discussion. I think that LEM trigger, with its unique features, is very helpful in understanding "dos and don'ts" of a trigger press.

User Tag List