Page 43 of 89 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the AUG.

It's funny how times change. When I was issued an AUG back in the early 90's, I was "meh" about it. I shot it fine, qualified with it for SRT for several years, but didn't care for the three round burst setting and a few other nits. The integral scope was okay.

Now, I'd love to have one but I don't see myself springing for one. I hardly get my AR out these days.

I do still use the little bottle that came with it for solvent though, so I got that going for me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Some more observations from handling but not firing the gun:

1. The OEM charging handle is tiny and locking the bolt to the rear with it would result in my pinky getting scraped against the top rail. The Manticore Arms Switchback charging handle is much better for actually using and will be staying on the gun.

2. The trigger is nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe. Yes it’s a little spongy but it’s not any worse than the triggers of numerous polymer striker fired pistols I’ve tried. I think I’ll leave it stock unless the Corvus Defensio/Geisselle trigger pack comes out at an unrealistically low price.

3. The corners of the safety are SHARP. I’ve been deactivating it with the knuckle of my trigger finger as I slide the finger onto the trigger. It gets painful after a couple of reps. I’ll likely take some sandpaper or a small file to the corners.

4. The rifle is very easy to field strip into its major components and reassemble. I haven’t tried taking the gas piston or bolt assembly apart though.

5. It balances very well and I can see shooting it one handed effectively should you be caught opening a door or holding onto something with the support hand at the time.

6. Retention reloads would definitely be slower for me than with an AR. My hand is too small to hold both mags and hit the mag release at the same time if I were to do the magazine exchange at the mag well so I would have to remove and stow the partial mag before getting a new mag. Speed and emergency reloads don’t seem like they’d be any slower. Using the new mag to hit the mag release like with an AK is surprisingly fast. The mag well also seems to be in a very natural position. I found it very easy to load a new mag without needing to look down at the mag well.

7. I can’t wait to shoot it. I’m curious how it will recoil with my hands being so close together.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I do still use the little bottle that came with it for solvent though, so I got that going for me.
    Stolen gov't property!

Somewhere, some ICE OPR agent is gnashing his teeth over statutory limitations.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Stolen gov't property!

Somewhere, some ICE OPR agent is gnashing his teeth over statutory limitations.....
    My heretofore good rep for honesty and integrity is now ruined forever.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

44Mag is blowing out factory AUG magazines of various sizes. Here's an example.
    https://www.44mag.com/product/steyr_...nd_magazine/81

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Some more observations from handling but not firing the gun:

1. The OEM charging handle is tiny and locking the bolt to the rear with it would result in my pinky getting scraped against the top rail. The Manticore Arms Switchback charging handle is much better for actually using and will be staying on the gun.

2. The trigger is nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe. Yes it’s a little spongy but it’s not any worse than the triggers of numerous polymer striker fired pistols I’ve tried. I think I’ll leave it stock unless the Corvus Defensio/Geisselle trigger pack comes out at an unrealistically low price.

3. The corners of the safety are SHARP. I’ve been deactivating it with the knuckle of my trigger finger as I slide the finger onto the trigger. It gets painful after a couple of reps. I’ll likely take some sandpaper or a small file to the corners.

4. The rifle is very easy to field strip into its major components and reassemble. I haven’t tried taking the gas piston or bolt assembly apart though.

5. It balances very well and I can see shooting it one handed effectively should you be caught opening a door or holding onto something with the support hand at the time.

6. Retention reloads would definitely be slower for me than with an AR. My hand is too small to hold both mags and hit the mag release at the same time if I were to do the magazine exchange at the mag well so I would have to remove and stow the partial mag before getting a new mag. Speed and emergency reloads don’t seem like they’d be any slower. Using the new mag to hit the mag release like with an AK is surprisingly fast. The mag well also seems to be in a very natural position. I found it very easy to load a new mag without needing to look down at the mag well.

7. I can’t wait to shoot it. I’m curious how it will recoil with my hands being so close together.
    1) I swapped mine out as well. I went with the gearheadworx one as it is a bit beefier and it gave me more warm and fuzzies than the Manticore one.

2) Neutrigger does wonders to the trigger and for $30, it's an easy install and doesn't break the bank.

3) You definitely have a good idea about taking some sandpaper to the edges of the safety. Just don't go overboard as it's easy to take stuff off but can't necessarily put stuff back on.

6) Retention reloads can be tricky. What I've done in the past is used the edge/knuckle of my thumb that is bringing the new mag up to hit the mag release. That pops the old mag out and grab it it with some fingers, and then insert new mag. Good thing is, with the balance of the AUG being rearward, it doesn't feel awkward holding onto the rifle with one hand.

Let us know how you enjoy shooting it. Loved mine and the biggest thing I noticed that was different from shooting my AR's is transitioning from target to target. The front end is so light, I'd usually overswing and have to come back to the second target.

@Dagga Boy

Time for an AUG specific rifle class? Surely we have enough just here on P-F who would partake.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    @Dagga Boy

Time for an AUG specific rifle class? Surely we have enough just here on P-F who would partake.

With how many AUGs DB has sold throughout the course of this thread alone, Steyr should subsidize the class.

Seriously though, I would probably attend. The combination of the uniqueness of the subject matter and DB’s knowledge and experience with these guns would make this something difficult to turn down. If there were extra AUGs available to lend to students who didn’t have their own, I might even have a coworker who I could talk into attending as well.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I'm in for an AUG class by Daryl.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    @Dagga Boy

DB needs to instruct it.

User Tag List